Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been driving a lot after the purchase. Currently , my 2013 has 350 miles on it. The transmission gets quite noisy when rpm reaches 3000. Is this normal ?

Also the windshield got hit by a flying rock, but I cant seem to see any crack or dent/ding... was really worried.

·
Registered
37 Posts
cvt i assume? ive read plenty how they r noisier than normal. there are many threads here that talk about the many unique sounds that come from that tranny.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cvt i assume? ive read plenty how they r noisier than normal. there are many threads here that talk about the many unique sounds that come from that tranny.
2.5 cvt indeed.

Isn't 2013 supposed to be much better ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
supposed to be, but better is relative to the original. lol. i dont have one so im only going on what ive read. it scared the bejezzes out of me when i test drove the cvt. besides i was already dead set on 3.6.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
I've driven a couple CVT cars and they are noisey for sure. I hate the whinning sounds they make.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,560 Posts
had a '13 for loaner for 3 days. It's odd, but not objectionable.

Just have to get used to the lack of shift-shock and 'interruption' in the sound. When I floored it, rpms were near redline by around 40-45 mph, after that, it IS a steady whine from the tranny up to 80+ (where I pulled back) on top of the engine noise being stuck near redline.

i could get accustomed to it.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Steel Silver Metallic, Limited , Moonroof
125 Posts
I have an 11 cvt and it doesn't take long to get used to it. I found that I just over-analyzed every sound it made early on. Try rolling a window down a bit or listening to the radio. Pretty much any background noise (even wind noise) makes the transmission whine go away. They are noisier at certain RPMs, dependent on how hard you are pushing it. I have found mine is either not as noisy now at 20k or I have just gotten used to it.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
I found it did not take long to grow accustom to the CVT application. I have a early build 10 and it does whine or whirr at slow speeds with the window down or when you mash the pedal, but at a constant highway speed I find the car very quiet overall. The second gen CVT IMO is a little quieter has less of that rubberband effect of the first gen

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
One of the reasons I bought the 3.6L was the noise of the 2.5L at hiway speeds test driving them. My objective was not to get used to the noise of any car. It was either right to begin with or wasn't.
My hearing isn't all that great from flying for a living but it was noisey so much so my wife said what is all that noise.
If it doesn't bother you terrific.
I think the CVTs are great but it is a different experience. I have had a number of rental cars with them and some were really nice some plan bad...

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's m
323 Posts
It's why the radio has a volume knob!!!

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
At 350 it’s not your Gramma’s conventional AT. And being the OB isn’t that quiet to begin with, you’ll be recognizing other noises before long. It’s normal, no more noisier than other mainstream.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
supposed to be, but better is relative to the original. lol. i dont have one so im only going on what ive read. it scared the bejezzes out of me when i test drove the cvt. besides i was already dead set on 3.6.
I don't think you should be touting the 3.6 at the moment considering your other thread.

I personally find the car quiet on the road even at 3000 rpm. Its also possible it will get a little quieter for you as it breaks in. My tramission was louder at first as well.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i
161 Posts
Well after years of driving noisy Hondas I find the OB to be pretty quiet overall and have never found what little noise the CVT makes to be bothersome. ymmv

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,560 Posts
maybe it's the front diff. My 03 got a little quieter when I upgraded the fluid in the front diff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
en... I am not really bothered that much. but I thought the outback should be quieter than a crv. just hope nothing is wrong with my car.

picked up the plates last night... i guess it's not a new car any more.

and that flying rock hitting my windshield!! i hate it. haven't noticed any damage to the windshield yet.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
My '12 now has 23k on it. I have pretty serious hearing loss, but I am unusually sensitive to mechanical noises. I have never found mine to be noisey, but 1 luck Texan may be right about the front diff.......I changed mine to synthetic in the diffs early on, and that may make a difference in mechanical noise.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
At two months, I'm just used to it. I took our minivan for an oil change yesterday so the differences were more obvious again but I just realized all vehicles have their own quirks and differences.

So far the car is awesome for the work I do, better than it's replacement for carrying 3 kids in back seat and a significant boost in metro area driving type fuel economy. I'm happy to live with any differences for all of that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like my Outback. It's so pretty and roomy. I move almost all of my stuff in two trips.

It's still a new car. Just learning about the quirks, I guess. The finish on my A pillar is not good, there's a gap between the plastic and the ceiling. Not huge, but it's there.

This noise thing is not borthering me much. I had a corolla and the outback is slightly better.

Still waiting for the first ding on my door. I have been very careful about where I park, usually the far corner in a parking lot. But the new place that I am moving into doesn't have assigned parking spot. So...

Anyhow, still in love with the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts