Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon 2.5 Auto
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to change my tranny fluid on my 2004 2.5 automatic today.
Well...I was trying to loosen the drain plug and the part it threads onto cracked. Ugh!!
I removed the pan and cleaned it up. Small crack but I put JB all the way around it. Going to let it sit 24 hours. I hope it seals! Or doesn't crack the JB weld when tightening the drain plug back on.
However I got online and was trying to find a New transmission pan just in case, and I can find one??

I'm still new to Subaru so maybe I'm just not looking in the right places??

Hopefully it sealed and don't crack when putting the drain plug back on.

But does anyone know where online I can get a new one in case?

2004 Outback EJ259 2.5 automatic it's the California emissions one if that matters.

Also I seen mine has a transmission filter in it?

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...eU43Jx4VZ76bZ-gdxoCSz4QAvD_BwE&ad=47433970452

·
Registered
Silver: 2009 Subaru Outback Limited Edition, 2.5 Liter EJ25, Automatic. Gem: 2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition, 3.0 liter EZ30D, Automatic
207 Posts
There's always your local dealership's parts department, there may be one in your region that's a little better than others.

·
Registered
Silver: 2009 Subaru Outback Limited Edition, 2.5 Liter EJ25, Automatic. Gem: 2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition, 3.0 liter EZ30D, Automatic
207 Posts
They order them in for you. I've been able to get things for my 2002 LL Bean wagon from them, though sometimes there's a bit of a wait. I believe my local dealership was trying to sell me a transmission oil pan, but a second opinion said I didn't need one. I got my transmission oil filter from the dealership.

The coolant that is supposed to go in these cars also only comes from the dealership.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! My sons friend just stopped by he saw me in the garage. He said the JB might work, but he's parting out a 2005 Forester, with an automatic. He said if it's the same pan he'll bring it over tomorrow.
I don't know if they are.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. If my JB weld cracks tomorrow I'll check the websites you provided and see if the Forester has the same pan.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts
Thanks guys. If my JB weld cracks tomorrow I'll check the websites you provided and see if the Forester has the same pan.
2005 forester,
should be the same.

one of the problems with JB weld is getting the thing you are fixing free of oils, like you have to bake the crap off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2005 forester,
should be the same.

one of the problems with JB weld is getting the thing you are fixing free of oils, like you have to bake the crap off.
I wire wheeled and used brakeclean but I never have luck with JB weld.

Thank you, my buddy said it should be the same too. He's going to pull it tomorrow and bring it over to compare it.

I just realized I have no gasket!! Ugh!!
I didn't plan on pulling my pan. I have some Ultra Gray stuff on hand. But I think that's for rubber gaskets.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just for the record. the 2005 Forester is the same pan as my 2004 Outback.

Now I am curious to see if the 2005 Forester is the same tranny? His has 70,000 miles on it. My 2004 Outback has 214,000 on it.

His vehicle was hit, and he's parting it out. I can get the tranny cheap as a back up, if it fits, would be nice to have on hand.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Check the transmission number on the data plate under the hood and see if the numbers match

2005 Forester

TZ1B5LCXAA '03, December — '05, March
TZ1B5LCWAA '05, January — '06, March

2004 Outback

TZ1A4ZCFAC Destination code: C0, UT, U6 '03, January — '04, February
TZ1A4ZCFBC Destination code: U5 '03, January — '04, February

I don't know about the interchangeability. Best to check car-part.com to see what interchange comes up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts