Subaru Outback Forums banner

Transmission Problems?

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  plain OM 
#1 ·
My 1999 Subaru Outback wouldn’t go into any gear except for reverse. This started last night I got up today and it went into drive it worked fine all day until I put it in park then back to drive to move it wouldn’t go in drive again. Any advice is appreciated I’m just not sure If I need a transmission or I can change the filters and fluid because my transmission doesn’t slip or shift hard at all.

#4 ·
You have reverse even when it won't go in drive?

Is the fluid full?
If you speed the engine up a bit does it go in to gear?
Any dents in the pan?
The fluid was full and most of the time if I speed up the engine it seems like it slams into gear but sometimes it’s completely normal and everything works just fine. Very rarely when I stop at a stop sign or light it will go out of gear and kick back in when I speed up the engine.

#9 ·
Checking the ATF level with the engine off, or engine running?

it worked fine all day until I put it in park then back to drive to move it wouldn’t go in drive again.
Might be an idea to also check the cable linkage from the bottom end of the cabin gear shift lever to the range select lever/inhibitor switch on the right side of the transmission, to make sure the range select lever and inhibitor switch are in fact being moved to the D positions (incl D3, D2 and D1). If the outer part of the coaxial cable isn't firmly mounted as it should be (there have been cases of the clamps rusting out), the cabin gear shift lever can move through all the positions, but the range select lever on the transmission might not be following. The range select lever moves a manual valve in the transmission to direct hydraulic fluid to the forward gear select solenoids and valves. If the lever isn't moving into position fully, fluid might not be flowing properly to the clutches and brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.