Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Outback LL been 3.0 and I was wondering how to find out what transmission I have because I need to replace it

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
I have a 2001 Outback LL been 3.0 and I was wondering how to find out what transmission I have because I need to replace it
Should be a 4EAT. Provided it's not a VDC and it's not a 2.5 H4

I believe your transmission has to come from a 3.0 model because of the bell housing and final drive ratio differences.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
to answer your PM
what you are looking for: a 2001-2003 transmission from a LL Bean wagon, others may need surgery.

04 were wired a bit different.

____

a guy from Montreal put a JDM 4EAT VDC trans in his similar limited H6 wagon, and inserted the FWD fuse to make it work.
(canada did not get LL Bean labels on their limited H6 wagons of the period)..

____

and that is if you need a trans. what is wrong with yours?

Reactions: cardoc

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
You can use a 2000-2003 Legacy L (2.5) or Legacy Brighton (2.5) transmission as a replacement (no GT, GT Limited, or 2.5 Outbacks) if you're in a pinch. They share the same final drive and gear ratios so the drivetrain and TCU will be satisfied.

A word of caution, however: the H6 trans had more heavy-duty internal components to handle the power and abuse (towing, heavy loads, etc). A Legacy replacement will work, but extra caution should be used to avoid over-working the replacement transmission.

You can also grab a JDM (Japanese market) unit from the importers who bring-in early EZ30 engines. These can often be had for less than $300 (without shipping) with some calling/looking.

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
531 Posts
to answer your PM
what you are looking for: a 2001-2003 transmission from a LL Bean wagon, others may need surgery.

04 were wired a bit different.

____

a guy from Montreal put a JDM 4EAT VDC trans in his similar limited H6 wagon, and inserted the FWD fuse to make it work.
(canada did not get LL Bean labels on their limited H6 wagons of the period)..

____

and that is if you need a trans. what is wrong with yours?
correction: the transmission works very well with or without the fuse and the car is completely different in both

with the fuse the FWD light is on, the center differential is always unlocked, AWD is on all the times and that's how I drive it most of the times too
the car will handle more like a RWD but with some traction in the front, very great for highway travelling

in bad weather, rain, slippy road, trails, snow or just winter driving I pull the fuse off, the center differential will lock and turn the car into a tank !

Reactions: cardoc

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,938 Posts
correction: the transmission works very well with or without the fuse and the car is completely different in both

with the fuse the FWD light is on, the center differential is always unlocked, AWD is on all the times and that's how I drive it most of the times too
the car will handle more like a RWD but with some traction in the front, very great for highway travelling

in bad weather, rain, slippy road, trails, snow or just winter driving I pull the fuse off, the center differential will lock and turn the car into a tank !
With fuse out the clutch pack locks the diff because the clutch pack/valving is designed to only lock or unlock, no graduated degrees of slipping, and the small signal sent by the TCU to lock up a small amount locks it up a lot.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,938 Posts
2004 trans can be used if you swap over the transfer valve and solenoid valve in the tail section.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jdm trans for H6 Bean ?

I'm looking to a TZ1A4ZCDCA for my 2001 Outback LL BEAN 3.0 h6 where's the best place to get one

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
such maybe listed for 99-02 JDM years. where to buy? (= wherever it is cheapest for the cost, plus any tax, plus any shipping).
@AlainB bought one for his similar h6 limited which he has in montreal.
and has typed of what he does with the FWD fuse as the JDMs are VDC/VTD transmissions.

I would consider getting a US spec one out of a wrecked 01-04 LLBean though. the 4EAT is a good tough trans so used should be fine.
(lots of such beans getting chucked with perfectly good 4EAT for rust, and/or head gaskets).

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
531 Posts
it would help to know where you are :)

and TZ are not VTD/VDC transmission, they are extremely hard to find in JDM shops

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,438 Posts
You could get a VTD JDM trans and swap the tailshaft housing and center diff from your current car and then have a MPT H6 trans.

What year is your vehicle. If you vehicle is an '04, then you will also need to swap the pressure clutch control valving. Easy to do when the tailshaft housing is off.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,438 Posts
I bought this trans for a VDC car. This transmission has the VTD center diff. You would just need to remove the bolts from the tailshaft housing on your trans and this trans and swap the center diff. It's pretty easy to do. You will need a new seal for the housing and I would probably replace the output shaft seal.

They are out of stock, but you could could call them and see if they will get more in.

http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/jdm-s...-2001-2002-used-japanese-import-00-01-02.html

How many miles on your trans?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just replaced my transmission and it has the at oil temp light flashing 2 times a second and I see that is normal but how do I get rid of it

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
I just replaced my transmission and it has the at oil temp light flashing 2 times a second and I see that is normal but how do I get rid of it
merged threads,

what trans did you put in the 2001 H6 Bean?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes 2 I used my stop watch to count it and I don’t have a hand held and don’t want to chance driving it to the part stor

1 - 20 of 28 Posts