Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission is starting to slip and shift hard in my 04 outback H6

Can I swap in any Subaru 4eat or is this one specific??

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
790 Posts
To be certain about compatibility you need to get one with the same ID (model type) as the one in your vehicle.

Have you tried changing the transmission fluid and filter as this is often all that is needed to make them run “like new” again.

Seagrass

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,367 Posts
I assume you do not have VDC.

The H6 4EAT is specific for the H6 and the 04 model year is also specific.

To be safe, you will need an 04 H6 4EAT. You can use a 01 - 03 H6 4EAT but you will need to swap the center diff control valve from your 04 model year into the new one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To be certain about compatibility you need to get one with the same ID (model type) as the one in your vehicle.

Have you tried changing the transmission fluid and filter as this is often all that is needed to make them run “like new” again.

Seagrass
When you have an auto what has been neglected an oil change can have the complete opposite effect.
Apparently the fresh oil makes all the debris come loose and causes trouble.

But check if the oil level is ok is always the first thing to check, also check the color of the oil, needs to be (brightish) red.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
790 Posts
When you have an auto what has been neglected an oil change can have the complete opposite effect.
Apparently the fresh oil makes all the debris come loose and causes trouble.

But check if the oil level is ok is always the first thing to check, also check the color of the oil, needs to be (brightish) red.
Sorry this is somewhat of an "old wives tale" and if the transmission is changing bad, an oil change is probably worth trying as it may fix the problem without too much cost (and often does in my experience)

Seagrass

1 - 6 of 6 Posts