Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
JDM 2008 BP 9 Outback 2.5i Limited
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks:

I have a JDM '08 Outback 2.5i (F rev) with the 4EAT and VDC, and I've been trying to find out whether it has the multi-pack clutch (MPT), or the VTD differential in it. Cars 101, a source I trust, is unfortunately a bit ambiguous about it, but seems to imply that only the 5 EAT came with VTD. However, I've read posts by others which insist that, if the car has VDC, then it also has the VTD diff ("VTD Center Differential ... any Subaru 4EAT equiped with VDC with have this diff set."). Needless to say, I really want this to be true!

If Cars101 is correct, and I have the multi-pack clutch, then I should have the dreaded 90/10 front rear split, but I drive a lot of gravel here in New Zealand, and I can say with certainty that mine doesn't drive like a front-wheel drive car. I do accept, though, that might just be the multi-pack working like it should...

I wondered if anyone knows of an online reference database where I can check my transmission number against a description/type? Just for the record, my transmission number is: TV1B8MHEBD. Any and all help greatly appreciated...

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
VTD equipped cars will have the extra planetary differential between the transmission and the rear differential.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I get that, but short of comparing the physical length of my transmission case with someone else’s, I’m no better off... unless there’s some physical attribute or feature you know of that I could look for? Cheers...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Here is a thread showing a conversion from MPT to VTD....

pic from thread: standard is on the left, VTD is on the right

Here is a video of a swap from a MPT to a VTD diff.... that might give you a good visual for the difference.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Walker... if it turns out that I don’t have VTD - and that’s looking more and more likely - this is a mod I’d consider, although I’d give it to someone who knows what they’re doing!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, this is interesting... in the "4EAT".pdf, it clearly states: "Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) is an addition to the current 4EAT transfer section. VTD is designed to smoothly transfer and divide the power from the engine to the wheels. This new system for North America is equipped on all Subaru vehicles with Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) (my emphasis). If the JDM Outbacks were similarly specified, then I should theoretically have VDC.

·
Registered
16,999 Posts
@Dave Hansford

The MPT clutch system, at least to MY2009 in North America, also has a socket for an AWD-disabling fuse. When the fuse is installed, the car is FWD, and a warning light should be on in the instrument panel.

With the VTD planetary drive, it's impossible to get the same effect -- the output of the transmission is mechanically connected to both the front and rear drives all the time. There's no way to disable the AWD (even if the fuse box has the same place for the AWD fuse) because the mechanical differential gears are always meshed. This is different from the MPT transfer system, which is a clutch, and can be left open.

In North America there were some 2001-2004 4ATs with VDC and, as noted, VTD. But with the introduction here of the 5AT circa. 2005, the VDC option with the 4AT was no longer available. It was only in MY2009, I believe, that VDC was made standard in all cars, but that still did not come with the VTD AWD system. Indeed, even with the CVT (2010+), the MPT clutch system is used, despite all models having VDC/TC etc.

SOA publication MSA5P0141C contains the same wording quoted in post #44 above. That is referring to the VTD that was added to 4ATs in the 2nd gen period, but only in cars with VDC. Note that at that time, not all, indeed, few, Subarus here had VDC.

Your JDM 2008 would probably be comparable to our 2009, which would have VDC standard, but still the 4AT with MPT.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks plain OM, that's really helpful. I'll have a lot for that fuse holder and socket. I guess the acid test is to pop a fuse into it and look for the warning light... looking at the video, it seems the MPT/VTD swap is fairly straightforward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts