Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first post here so I'll cut straight to the point and try to provide as much info as possible.

Feel like my transmission is going into a "limp" mode while driving. started the other night on freeway "coasting/downhill". Inside the car you hear 3-4 light beeps, no lights on dash, then the car shifts down to "manual gears" and the dash shows it changes from 4th to 3rd at 65-70 mph.
I get locked out of shifting. I cant go back up to 4th or Drive or Sport drive and if I keep attempting to drive and ignore the situation it shifts me down further to 2nd until i pull over.
if i switch to "sport mode" then back to "drive" it will stay in drive for a second and then beep all over again and kick the car back to 3rd.

It continued to do this all the way home for another 10 miles... stopped restarted car, same issue.
Im assuming transmission so i check fluid still looks good maybe it is having cooling issues? Im thinking its time to go to the dealership now that i duplicate it.

2008 impreza outback sport 94,000 mi 2nd owner
oil: synthetic changed on time/regularly.
AT/sport trans, last fluids change at dealership 62,000-68,000 mi

·
Registered
18,165 Posts
Being "stuck" in 3rd or 2nd is one of the characteristics of the "failsafe" or "limp" mode for the transmission; however, when this happens, the Sport or AT Oil Temp warning light should come on and/or flash.

If the transmission is going into limp mode there should be a code, or codes, related to the problem the on-board-diagnostics has found. The dealer will probably hook up the Subaru scanner (SSM III) to read the codes and perhaps monitor what the transmission is doing.

There is a way to self-read the trouble codes for the Legacy-based models. I don't know if it also applies to your Impreza, but might be worth looking at: See http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/19053-05-09-how-read-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs.html?highlight=read+codes

1 - 2 of 2 Posts