Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got an '08 Limited, 2.5L non-turbo and I'm assuming it has the 4EAT. changed the spark plugs and fluids in the engine, front and rear diffs and the transmission this past weekend. Went with all Subaru fluids for the diffs and trans. what a difference it makes in how smooth the car runs. a lot less down-shifting needed going up certain hills in and around where we live. regarding the transmission, the specs call for approx 9.5 quarts (US) but only approx 3.5 came out of the pan. I'm assuming the other 6 are still in the trans body, torque converter, cooler etc. my question - how do you get the other 6 quarts drained and changed out of the transmission? thanks!

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
Your assumption is correct. The suggested method around here has been to do a fluid drain-and-fill and a filter change, then at your next oil change drain-and-fill the trans again, and at the next oil change do it one last time. Not a perfect 100% swap, but it's the best for the health of your trans and gets most of the old fluid out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply. I figured it was something like this. I might not wait until the next oil change but do this drain and re-fill over the next few weekends. I was wondering if there was some sort of procedure to disconnect the cooler lines and hook up a dump tank to the outflow line and a tank with 9.5 qrts of fresh fluid to the return line but wasn’t sure if the return line had enough suction to pull the fresh fluid.

Also, this transmission does not have the spin on filter on the outside, only the mesh screen inside the pan which I hear is somewhat useless for anything other than large chunks. I.e. does not filter micro particles like the external spin on filter (full disclosure - I have not seen the inside filter screen only been told this by others so if this is incorrect please let me know).

Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply. I figured it was something like this. I might not wait until the next oil change but do this drain and re-fill over the next few weekends. I was wondering if there was some sort of procedure to disconnect the cooler lines and hook up a dump tank to the outflow line and a tank with 9.5 qrts of fresh fluid to the return line but wasn’t sure if the return line had enough suction to pull the fresh fluid.

Also, this transmission does not have the spin on filter on the outside, only the mesh screen inside the pan which I hear is somewhat useless for anything other than large chunks. I.e. does not filter micro particles like the external spin on filter (full disclosure - I have not seen the inside filter screen only been told this by others so if this is incorrect please let me know).

Thanks again for the feedback.
Not a bad plan. You could probably disconnect one of the transmission lines up at the radiator and just keep dumping trans fluid in through the dipstick tube until it runs clean (with the engine running so the trans pump is... pumping...) but I'm not sure how efficient that'd be.

Saw 4EAT and skipped the 2008 part. You're right; I forgot they changed the filter setup in later model 3rd gens. Haven't dealt with those trans filters yet so someone else will need to chime in and confirm.

Reactions: jh90731

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had the battery out a few times and never saw a filter on ours. Also, when I went to the dealer for the fluids I gave them the VIN and he verified it did not have an external spin-on based on the VIN but he did comment that those that have the external spin-on in the fender area are hard to see and even harder to get to to change.

I've heard of others mounting an external spin-on in the engine compartment and plumbing it through the cooler lines. Anyone on this site have first hand experience or knowledge of this?

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,306 Posts
I've had the battery out a few times and never saw a filter on ours. Also, when I went to the dealer for the fluids I gave them the VIN and he verified it did not have an external spin-on based on the VIN but he did comment that those that have the external spin-on in the fender area are hard to see and even harder to get to to change.

I've heard of others mounting an external spin-on in the engine compartment and plumbing it through the cooler lines. Anyone on this site have first hand experience or knowledge of this?
Well, the filter in the fender is already doing that. Relocating it is just transmission hoses and clamps. Maybe a mounting bracket. I reloacted my engine oil filter On Frankie...

But why would you?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
MY08 was weird for some Subarus. IIRC, the filter disappeared from the Impreza and Foz.

There was a build date change some time in 2007 where they eliminated the spin-on filter for the 4EAT OB. All 5EAT OBs had the filter in the driver's side fender, accessible by moving the battery over.

Small, not THAT easily visible, but if you stick your hand in the hole next to the battery, you'd feel it.

I would stick with the drain and refill. Don't worry about adding an inline filter (and the pressure drop may affect transmission performance). If you're shedding media large enough to be caught by the filter, you're on borrowed time anyway...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MY08 was weird for some Subarus. IIRC, the filter disappeared from the Impreza and Foz.

There was a build date change some time in 2007 where they eliminated the spin-on filter for the 4EAT OB. All 5EAT OBs had the filter in the driver's side fender, accessible by moving the battery over.

Small, not THAT easily visible, but if you stick your hand in the hole next to the battery, you'd feel it.

I would stick with the drain and refill. Don't worry about adding an inline filter (and the pressure drop may affect transmission performance). If you're shedding media large enough to be caught by the filter, you're on borrowed time anyway...
Wise advice. Thanks!

I'll plan for another drain and fill this weekend, put 25 or so miles on it then another drain and fill. Including the first drain and fill last weekend that'll be about 10 qrts of new fluid.

Appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts