Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 2.5 Outback with 10800 miles on it.

I have noticed that during my 20 minute commute to work, when I slow to a stop, occasionally the car will shudder as if something in the drive train is causing friction and dragging down the engine RPM. The shudder that is present is mild, but definitely noticeable. Almost like when a throttle body or MAF sensor is dirty.

If I shift to neutral and back to drive, the shudder disappears.

I searched the forum but didn't see much that was similar. Most seemed to have the shudder while driving or coasting. Mine happens after coming to a full stop.

Does anyone else notice this with their vehicle?

I fear that I won't be able to replicate it with the dealer. I'm trying to determine if there are any factors that cause it more than others. It seems to happen more near the end of my drive, so I guess when the car is more near operating temp.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn’t seem to be related to the a/c compressor. The torque converter seems a logical guess. Is there a reason it wouldnt fully disengage at a stop? If I remember right, it locks up when you reach a certain speed.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i
137 Posts
I also agree that this sounds like a torque converter going bad, next step I assume will be the car will start to stall out. I had an old 2010 legacy where the TC caused it to stall at stops. I believe your OB will have the 10 year warranty on the trans, so you should be taken care of for a while. When it gets worse I would take it in.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,728 Posts
I believe your OB will have the 10 year warranty on the trans ...
That is through MY 2015 only; it does not apply to MY 2017. The normal 5 year/60,000 mile drive train warranty applies.

Edit: The 10 year/100,000 mile CVT warranty was eventually extended by Subaru through MY 2018.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I'll watch it. If I can find conditions where it is easy to cause, I will take it in. Right now, I'm afraid that they will just say unable to duplicate. I tried to get it to shudder today, but was unable to. I didn't get it to operating temperature either though. If anyone else who has these symptoms has found a way to cause it to occur, let me know and I will try it out myself. On the other hand, there may be nothing wrong, it just feels odd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 that does the same thing. It was cold when I took it for a test drive so it didn't shudder at all. I bought it, trailered it home, then took it for a longer drive and noticed the shuddering when I take off from a start after it is warmed up. What did the problem turn out to be?

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited, 2.5 litre, automatic
13 Posts
I just purchased a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 that does the same thing. It was cold when I took it for a test drive so it didn't shudder at all. I bought it, trailered it home, then took it for a longer drive and noticed the shuddering when I take off from a start after it is warmed up. What did the problem turn out to be?
Sounds like your issue is completely different from that of the original poster. His/hers happened when at a complete stop...yours happens under load when you drive off. You're probably better off starting a new thread that details the condition(s) under which you experience the issue.

When I was replying to this thread, I noticed the following thread under the "Recommended Reading" heading at the bottom of the page. It's a Gen-4 like yours, and seems to be similar to your issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts