Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
'16 STi, '17 Outback
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happens yesterday and its progressively getting worse by the km, I've made this post in hopes to keep track of the issue and hopefully it'll help others to see what may lead to the problem and possible solutions.

The car is a 2017 Outback Limited (Canadian market) with Eyesight, I've taken delivery of the car about 3 weeks ago and so far with 3000km on the odometer, I've already performed the first oil change and check up.

Issue: After coming to a complete stop, when accelerating (15-20% throttle), the transmission feels like it's slipping, then shudder and shakes violently, once past 15kmh it's fine, it's getting progressively worse in the last 24hrs.

When coming to a stop, now it feels as if it's "banging" into gears.

I called the dealer and they will take a look tomorrow, will update.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,822 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the torque converter lockup clutch. At least the dealer should have no trouble reproducting the problem.

·
Registered
'16 STi, '17 Outback
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the technician was bit baffled by the description so he asked me to duplicate it for him, and within first 100m, he said yup, that's not right, they believe it may be the pulleys' issue not expanding shrinking smoothly, so the whole transmission is getting replaced.

I'll double check if the torque converter is getting replace too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also, you performed the first oil change at 3000km? Why does my maintenance schedule at mysubaru.com call for oil changes every 6000 miles? I also have a 2017 Outback Limited. It's a 3.6R. Perhaps you have the 2.5, and it needs more frequent changes?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,822 Posts
Perhaps you have the 2.5, and it needs more frequent changes?
Nope. Subaru's current recommended service interval is 6,000 miles (10,000 km) for all Legacy/Outback models since MY 2015. It's right there in the Subaru Warranty & Maintenance Guide you receive with every new vehicle.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,442 Posts
Also, you performed the first oil change at 3000km? Why does my maintenance schedule at mysubaru.com call for oil changes every 6000 miles? I also have a 2017 Outback Limited. It's a 3.6R. Perhaps you have the 2.5, and it needs more frequent changes?
It's the same for the 2.5. The 2.5 requires full synthetic, however, which is more expensive than conventional; the 3.6 does not.

Some people feel that changing the oil more often than specified is better. Changing every 3000 miles costs them more and wastes maybe a little over a gallon of oil (for the 4) every 6000 miles. At 25 mi/gal, you'd use 240 gallons of fuel in 6000 miles so that extra gallon of engine oil hardly matters. If it makes them happy, no big problem.

Realistically, some may use as much gasoline driving to the shop for the extra oil change as the volume of oil replaced.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nope. Subaru's current recommended service interval is 6,000 miles (10,000 km) for all Legacy/Outback models since MY 2015. It's right there in the Subaru Warranty & Maintenance Guide you receive with every new vehicle.
The dealership still put a sticker on my windshield saying next oil change was in 3k miles. I ignored it.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,442 Posts
The dealership still put a sticker on my windshield saying next oil change was in 3k miles. I ignored it.
I always ask the service people to put the current date and mileage on those stickers. When it's due next is their opinion. Today's date and mileage is a fact. If they don't follow that instruction, I ignore their recommendation.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited, w/ES, Ice Silver
599 Posts
Money Grab

My dealer's maintenance schedule is significantly more aggressive than SOA. Can't believe that it's anything but a way to increase profits. I think they bank on customers not reading the SOA maintenance schedule, but instead reading the "official" dealer schedule included with the sales paperwork. Bugs me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not knocking anyone but I always find it interesting when people spend $200 on family cell phone plan, $250 on cable TV with 8 cable boxes, eating out several times per week, you get the picture. But when it comes time for oil changes in a 30-$40,000 car, they push it to the engineering limit. Oil changes have been and always will be the absolute cheapest and simultaneously the most effective maintenance you can do on your car. If there is ANYWHERE you want to try and save money, this is not the place. $15 for the oil and $5 for the filter, that's 20 bucks (assuming you do it yourself) . Its a pie of pizza. If you want to save some money, convert your old lights in your home to LED. That will probably save you $100/year. 3000 mile oil change interval is fair. Should be more often with turbo, and more often in heavy start stop environments. Synthetic oil is recommended for extremes like very hot (South Florida) very cold (Montana) or racing environments where regular oil cannot withstand 10,000 RPM or a 6000 supercharged engine. In every other environment, conventional oil if more than adequate. The Synthetic oil companies (Amsoil etc) will tell you, you can go 10k miles with their oil. This is as much marketing nonsense as all the "Tune Up In a Bottle" items being sold at Walmart and Advanced Auto etc.. The manufacturers simply cannot prove it but we are asked to believe it. Of course they will show a video that they claim is proof, but this is done in a controlled environment. Remember, there were videos showing that 9/11 did not happen. I will take one less pie of pizza per year and one more oil change any day.

·
Registered
'18 2.5i Premium
96 Posts
3000 mile oil change interval is fair.
How did you come by this number? Why 3,000? If Subaru suggested 12,000 intervals would you simply cut that in half and say 6,000 is better? If lower is better, why not 2,500 miles, or 1,000 miles? Better yet, why not rig up a total-loss oiling system?

It's not just about cost, it's about practicality. If I were to follow a 3,000 interval, I'd be changing my oil every six weeks. Even at 6,000 intervals, every three months seems like I'm constantly changing the oil. My diesel VW calls for 10,000 intervals and I've had zero issues. Surf the TDI forums and you've got people that religiously send oil samples to Blackstone Labs for testing and they run 15,000 oil change intervals.

·
Registered
418 Posts
OP, Glad you seem to be getting a minimal hassle transmission replacement to make this right, did the dealer put you into a loaner car? Its bad luck for sure to get a new car that had a factory defect, its rare around here.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you change the oil every three months you are not "constantly" changing the oil. Its probably something that you hate doing that's why you feel you are "constantly" doing it. Its "cool" that Blackstone can tell you what is in your oil. Personally, If I was going to buy a car with a lot of miles on it, I would probably send a sample to Blackstone to see what they find BEFORE I bought it. Makes sense. 10 and 15k oil intervals are nuts. What's the point? It does not cost all that much to do an oil change. And as far as time, if you are efficient, you are looking at 20 minutes. $15 and 20 minutes (every 6 weeks) in exchange for piece of mind? This is all predicated on owning the car. If I was leasing it I would not be so meticulous as leasing is nothing more than a long term rental. BTW, an oil change every 6 weeks means you are spending $0.47/day ( that's 47 cents per day) on proper oil changes. So we choose to save the $0.47 and spend $3.50 for a cup of coffee in Starbucks. Brilliant. The same people try and keep their car battery for 12 years when its a known fact that 50% of the life of lead acid batteries is gone after 5 years. I think as intelligent consumers, we need to question what we read. Some new cars don't have a dipstick to check oil levels, does that mean its not important to check the level? Is ethanol in gasoline good for us or does it possibly put more money in Exxon pockets? Be very analytical when you read all this nonsense. Ask the hard questions.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,407 Posts
BTW, an oil change every 6 weeks means you are spending $0.47/day ( that's 47 cents per day) on proper oil changes. .
Curious where you get 47 cents per day.
Synthetic oil alone is 62 cents per day if you run it 6 weeks.
Add filter and the cost goes up to almost 80 cents.
If you want people to be analytical, use the right data.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,235 Posts
OP, Glad you seem to be getting a minimal hassle transmission replacement to make this right, did the dealer put you into a loaner car? Its bad luck for sure to get a new car that had a factory defect, its rare around here.
I am getting a new nav/radio put in my OB with only 6,000 miles. It does make you wonder about reliability a bit.

Reactions: Shortsonfire79

·
Registered
331 Posts
I said if you do it yourself and you don't use synthetic. There are 42 days in a 6 week period. It cost me $20 to do an oil change with filter. Not trying to be difficult. Its just funny how people push the engineering limits on the second most expensive thing they will buy in their life over just a few dollars.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts