Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback Limited H6 3.0 VDC
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Please refer to this video to know what I'm talking about. You'll have to turn your volume up or wear headphones as it's hard to hear, but trust me, in person it's louder.

What on earth is this?? At first I thought it was a shock absorber squeaking because it first happened going over bumpy roads, but now it's a constant thing that happens:

• Over bumpy terrain
  • When revs are below approx 1-1.5k rpm
  • Shifting from P to R or D etc. Not between 1-2-3-4 though.

Any thoughts guys and gals? I'm really hoping I can solve it with a trans flush or something. As far as I'm aware this 223k km subie has stock trans fluid in it, and it's something I've been meaning to rectify I just don't have the money right now.

Thanks all,

Conor.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,323 Posts
seems more likely to be a trans or motor mount or maybe and exhaust hanger broke allowing something to touch? Is it in 'sync' with wheel rotation?

someone may need to get under the car to look around.

Have you checked any fluids? the transmission is checked while idling, the only fluid you check that way. If it looks like coffee, your car will thank you to attend to its needs with fluid updates. Fluids are the life-blood of cars.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Limited H6 3.0 VDC
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seems more likely to be a trans or motor mount or maybe and exhaust hanger broke allowing something to touch? Is it in 'sync' with wheel rotation?

someone may need to get under the car to look around.

Have you checked any fluids? the transmission is checked while idling, the only fluid you check that way. If it looks like coffee, your car will thank you to attend to its needs with fluid updates. Fluids are the life-blood of cars.
I haven't checked the fluids yet. I will be replacing the trans fluid and filter(s).

I'm quite sure it's not something touching although who knows. I'm going to take it to a transmission shop and get them to have a look at it to see if it's something slipping or if it's just a mount like you say it could be.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,323 Posts
I'm gonna suggest possible propeller shaft u-joint too.

just needs an eyes-on overall check-up to narrow down the possibilities I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts