Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 outback H6 VDC auto. It runs fantastic 99.9% of the time. However, I have had two instances, one today and both in heavy traffic, where the rpm's dropped and the gears seemed to disengage leaving me with no power. When it happened today, as I was coasting across 4 lanes of traffic on the interstate, the engine shut off as well. Fortunately, I made it to the shoulder safely. I took it to the local Subaru mechanic and they said they have no idea why this would happen and have never heard of it. After today, I am not willing to drive the car until it is fixed. Again today, they have no idea. Does anyone have any idea on what it might be???

Symptoms:
A few loud "thunks" from under the car...gears disengage, loss of power, engine shuts off, VDC light comes on...let it sit for 15+ minutes and it starts back up and runs fine. Both times it happened it was warm outside (90 - 100 degrees). I drive in the temp all summer long, so I can't think that would be an issue, but I did not have any issues in the winter. I just bought it in Feb 2012 for a car to put miles on...has 123000 now.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!...Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 outback
1 Posts
I have also had this problem. I have 2012 Outback, manual transmission. 75 mph on interstate, you can feel something disengage (smooth transition), and no power. Pressing the gas, nothing. Change gears nothing. Engine did not cut off. I managed to get to a highway exit - by this time speed had dropped to about 35 mph. Then you can feel it re-engage - again very smooth, and everything works again. Did you ever get an answer?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,602 Posts
I have also had this problem. I have 2012 Outback, manual transmission. 75 mph on interstate, you can feel something disengage (smooth transition), and no power. Pressing the gas, nothing. Change gears nothing. Engine did not cut off. I managed to get to a highway exit - by this time speed had dropped to about 35 mph. Then you can feel it re-engage - again very smooth, and everything works again. Did you ever get an answer?
how many miles you got, ?

how many miles on the clutch?

does the shifter feel odd in your hand? or pop out of gear? does the clutch feel weird?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.