Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I trying to locate a trans for my '98 gt without taking out a 2nd mortgage
engine part # tz102z2dca
anybody have a clue at to where i could find one
ebay has a tz102z2dba i have no idea what the difference is or if it'll work
plus they want an arm and a leg
this is my 7th subie the body and interior are in great shape i'd hate to pull the trigger
paul

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,488 Posts
craigslist. looking for a car just like yours being sold for next to nothing with terminal head gaskets.

buy it, hog it for parts or put your own EJ25D in it if you like it better.

(legacy / legacy outback/ impreza / forester ,...may all have different gear ratios ....so be careful with what you buy).

Reactions: bheinen74

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
use car-part.com to find interchangeable options. I don't know enough about the differences so I bought the same number when I needed one for my 99 OBW.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I do believe that in 99 there was a Phase II 4EAT (added the external filter)

·
Registered
1997 Outback 2.5 AT
186 Posts
pretty sure a LGT uses the same trans as the same year outback with 4.44 diff ratio.

and yes people seem to want stupid prices for used Subaru transmissions, i can get a good manual transaxle for my Porsche for $150 all day.

·
Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
496 Posts
Having been cautioned that one has to get exactly the right tranmission (by part number), I just went through this with my '99 Forester.

The answer was: Patience. I waited until exactly the same (year) car appeared in the local you-pull yard, and got myself down there without delay. Working by myself it took the better part of a day to drop it (I was going easy on a shoulder that'd been operated on earlier in the year), and having no way to test it beforehand, bolted it up into my car. I threw a seven and it's been running perfectly since. Price tag: $130 (Canadian, so about a hundred USD).

To do this, though, I had to be willing and able to let it sit for a year while I waited for the right donor to show up (with body damage).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts