Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2009 2.5i Ltd 4EAT NAV
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can one transport a twin mattress from the mattress store in a gen 3 outback? As the measurements as per cars101 are tight, I am concerned it might not fit or damage the interior?

Feedback from anyone with experience doing so would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
835 Posts
Can one transport a twin mattress from the mattress store in a gen 3 outback? As the measurements as per cars101 are tight, I am concerned it might not fit or damage the interior?

Feedback from anyone with experience doing so would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to say yes. I vaguely remember getting a semi assembled platform bed and mattress in there when back seats were dropped. If you are transporting a box spring then it will be difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
The flexible mattress itself? Probably. Box spring? Probably not (with the hatch closed).

For reference, I was able to fit an 83" x 30" x 2" door in my Gen 3, with the hatch closed. Blew the Lowe's guy's mind.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The flexible mattress itself? Probably. Box spring? Probably not (with the hatch closed).

For reference, I was able to fit an 83" x 30" x 2" door in my Gen 3, with the hatch closed. Blew the Lowe's guy's mind.

I dropped off a loveseat at the dump with the hatched closed . The attendant wanted to buy me a beer to hear the story of how i got it in there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,280 Posts
The mattress will measure just under 39x75. It shouldn't be an issue with the back seats down.

The box spring will be the same size but isn't flexible so you might have to leave the hatch open and tie it shut.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a spring mattress with dimensions of 75” D x 39” W x 9.25” H

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,105 Posts
Mattress on the roof rack first in order to protect the top from the box springs.

Then the box springs on top.

Tie it all down very solid.

Drive slow and no crazy cornering.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,280 Posts
Mattress on the roof rack first in order to protect the top from the box springs.

Then the box springs on top.

Tie it all down very solid.

Drive slow and no crazy cornering.
This is a better idea assuming @ths258 still has the cross bars.

40 lb rope and a truckers knot with two loops is enough for in town driving and if going on the highway one front to back is a good idea.

If it's a mattress only I would just shove it in the back with the seats flat. The mattress will flex enough and it's unlikely to damage the interior of the car.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,105 Posts
If it's a mattress only I would just shove it in the back with the seats flat. The mattress will flex enough and it's unlikely to damage the interior of the car.
OP later said it was a "spring mattress", whatever that is.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,367 Posts
Conventional mattress is constructed with springs.
Alternatively, there are air, water or foam mattress types. :jump3:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Conventional mattress is constructed with springs.
Alternatively, there are air, water or foam mattress types. :jump3:

Someone do the math to calc the weight of a filled and unfilled water mattress and compare that to a filled and unfilled air mattress :ucrazy:. just kidding !:iam::smkchr:

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,367 Posts
Someone do the math to calc the weight of a filled and unfilled water mattress and compare that to a filled and unfilled air mattress :ucrazy:. just kidding !:iam::smkchr:
What engineer could resist!
Using the dimensions posted:
75 x 39 x 9.25 = 27056.25 cubic inches
231 cubic inches per gallon = 117.12 gallons
8.34 pounds per gallon of water = 976.83 pounds

I once carried all the water filled tubes from a queen-sized motionless waterbed in the OB. The tubes weren't completely full, but it was quite the load.

·
Registered
835 Posts
What engineer could resist!
Using the dimensions posted:
75 x 39 x 9.25 = 27056.25 cubic inches
231 cubic inches per gallon = 117.12 gallons
8.34 pounds per gallon of water = 976.83 pounds

I once carried all the water filled tubes from a queen-sized motionless waterbed in the OB. The tubes weren't completely full, but it was quite the load.
That's a lot of load !

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To report back, the mattress was closer to 12 inches thick. It slid easily into the G3 Outback with no issues of width or height. The front seats had to be moved almost completely forward in order for the mattress to fit lengthwise with a closed hatch.

So, a twin mattress can be transported. But, for driver's comfort sake, the trip best be short.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts