Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a way to secure the back gate on an outback (down but not closed) with rope (bungee) so that we can transport long wood boards extending back a couple of feet behind the vehicle? There doesn't seem to be any coupling rings positioned to satisfy this need nor is the back gate shaped to safely secure a rope.

Size is 2" x 6" x 12' treated pine. My car can handle 8 foot lengths internally and I'm hesitant about using the roof rack for such long lengths.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
how long and what size, ? and what tree? rough or finished?

_____

easy: put a blanket on top of the boards, to protect the tail gate. close tail gate on boards,

attach long bungee from windshield wiper to the tow hook under the car bumper.

open all windows, and roof and turn on the fan for fresh air. (exhaust will come in).

staple or tape a orange / red thing to the tip of the longest board hanging out.

_____

alternatively:

remove front passenger seat head rest.

lay rear seats flat. protect car interior with blankets.

load board into open passenger front door window. and adjust passenger seat to hold the board off the door and outside mirror. (seat is very strong).

load the rest of the boards in. avoid hitting bicycle people, people on foot, mail boxes. (advantage: no exhaust gas)

___

drive slow and keep the run short. consider tying them together and adding some friction if they are smooth and want to slip. (something like cotton terry towels between them).

_____

if you got to go more then a couple miles on quiet roads:

ask about lumber yards delivering (cheap, or free).

or rent a pickup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much, Eagleeye, for your prompt response. I will try both methods to see which works best to protect my car from damage and feels most comfortable on the road. Driving distance is only about 7 miles.

Looked into your suggestions but couldn't find anything under the bumper to tie a bungee to except the rear axle rods. I don't have a towing setup on my vehicle. Perhaps I can use either the lower door lock loop or the 2 connection rings inside and at the base of the rear compartment. And, since there's no stress on the door itself (other than road vibration) seems that the pull on the rear window washer will be minimum. Wish the upper door lock apparatus had some through holes that could accept a rope or bungee. Seems it would be a simple design feature that, when not in use, would not interfere with the locking of the door.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,405 Posts
You can fit 8 foot 2x4/2x6/2x8's in a Gen 5 if you fold the passenger seat down.

4x8 sheets can go on the roof but I would put a rope front to back to prevent it becoming a sail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eagleeye, I checked your suggestion using something to tie a bungee under the rear bumper but found nothing but rear axles. I don't have a towing setup so I don't see how I can secure the bungee other than using the support 2 rings inside and at the base of the rear compartment. Might this cause problems? Too bad the back door lock itself doesn't have a loop facility for such a rope or bungee. There's no undue stress on the back lid, only a way to hold it down and not locked. Hope Subaru is aware if need.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,705 Posts
I'm always wishing I'd take the time to measure the latch bar, then buy a D-ring or similar carabiner of the same diameter that will 'latch' into the hatch . That would be easy for that end of the rope.

somewhat off topic but, one great suggestion I read from someone on one of the forums - buy a 2x4x10 board (yes, 10) cut in half and secure to roof rails, then, 4x8 material on top will leave you with almost 6" on each side on which ropes/straps can be secured.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I'm always wishing I'd take the time to measure the latch bar, then buy a D-ring or similar carabiner of the same diameter that will 'latch' into the hatch . That would be easy for that end of the rope.
The carabiner I use measures at 7.5mm on the round cross section, and theres some wiggleslack. 8mm would likely work too.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
Eagleeye, I checked your suggestion using something to tie a bungee under the rear bumper but found nothing but rear axles. I don't have a towing setup so I don't see how I can secure the bungee other than using the support 2 rings inside and at the base of the rear compartment. Might this cause problems? Too bad the back door lock itself doesn't have a loop facility for such a rope or bungee. There's no undue stress on the back lid, only a way to hold it down and not locked. Hope Subaru is aware if need.
your last post here got on the "oddest load thread", edit: just moved it to your thread.

what year outback you got?

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,253 Posts
You can also simply try bungee-ing the hatch to the boards, assuming that they are heavy enough.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hadn't thought of that Richard, thanks. I still wish the hatch had something other than the window washer base to tie the rope to. The bottom of the hatch lock is a strong metal loop and a perfect accessory for the rope but the top of the lock has no way to incorporate a rope. The shape of the hatch while beautiful, is no help in holding the rope.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,253 Posts
Can a bungee be hooked to the hatch latch handle?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
Hadn't thought of that Richard, thanks. I still wish the hatch had something other than the window washer base to tie the rope to. The bottom of the hatch lock is a strong metal loop and a perfect accessory for the rope but the top of the lock has no way to incorporate a rope. The shape of the hatch while beautiful, is no help in holding the rope.
what outback year is this? (US / Canada spec?, or somewhere else? = such is important to year)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No Richard. The handle is well recessed with no protrusion to hook onto. Only the license plate is on the door in addition to the windshield wiper (also the logo, of course).

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have a 2014 outback. i have had eight 2x6x14's on the luggage rack up top. i use two one inch ratchet straps to hold them in place. it works fine around town at forty mph. i have not done it on the freeway.

·
Registered
2014 Outback, 2.5 Premium / CVT
120 Posts
Inset carabiner into lock on door until it latches. Tie your strap to that. Remove carabiner by opening latch when you are finished.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts