Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
No experience with this product but from the install PDF it appears the mounted partition is rearward from the seat tops and leans even further to the rear at the top by the center seatbelt. Given the forward slope of the rear hatch/glass the "headroom" is restricted quite a bit. Big dogs could have trouble turning around in cramped quarters. Nice looking unit though and the price sure beats the factory barrier.

·
Registered
2010, 2.5, CVT
16 Posts
Did you watch the video? The show a divider that bisects the rear. I think that would be nice, but the install instructions nor any of the pictures show that feature.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Nice feature if you have one small dog or two that need to be separated. Still no help for the big guy's.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
I wish they would have some that can be used with the rear seats folded down. I have two big dogs and they would not have enough room to be comfortable with the rear seat up.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R SAP
202 Posts
^I did see some kind of an SUV that had a barrier that did just that - he had the rear seatbacks down and the barrier was just behind the front seats.

To the OP: Have you looked at the Subaru barrier? I have it, and it's quite nice. It doesn't lean back at the top, but does work with the center belt. It's also much more securely fastened to the car than the Trav All unit, although the Subaru unit would take more effort to remove from the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response all. Very helpful forum. I have seen the OEM barrier but I am worried about how it functions. Will it fold down with the seats or will I have to remove it every time I fold the seats down? We live in a small row house and storing a large grate will be a pain in the butt. Also the use of the tie down straps is a potential problem as we have a baby now and if we have another we will have a problem.

I like how secure the OEM unit is but it feels like a bit of overkill for my medium size dog. He can't come over the seats but only gets his head over the seats and drools on my nice new leather interior (oh and the baby).

·
Registered
2010, 2.5, CVT
16 Posts
I keep looking at this barrier myself as I like the simplicity and the fact that your rear tethers are available for the kiddo's seats. But I'm suspicious of it's ability to hold cargo, dog, whatever, in the event of a wreck. I think it would fold forward with not much force with only those two little posts providing front titling stability.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
. The factory barrier has firm mounting points but still allows an animal to be thrown around against/through the glass in the back. A dog tether risks a broken neck or choking. In the event of an accident a crate is your safest option. In a violent accident all bets are off.

·
Registered
2010, 2.5, CVT
16 Posts
I'm more concerned with the safety of the passengers then that of the dog if I'm going to get in a wreck. A cargo or dog missile into a child or other passenger is no good.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The factory barrier is the most solidly mounted and the most costly.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 White SAP
121 Posts
In the past, I always used a crate when traveling with our dog but her crate will not fit the Outback (I knew this when I bought it and have considering solutions). I am not so interested in the dog barrier as it is very expensive. A month ago an idea popped into my head that I have been evaluating in van. It is simply a cable anchored between the tie-down rings (taut) with a ring on the cable (this easily slides on the cable). On the ring is a short length of cable with a snap hook on the end (just long enough to reach the D ring on her harness). This has worked well in the van and I will install the same in the Outback (as soon as I get the Canvasback liner). The dog likes it better than the crate and it should keep her from flying around the vehicle in the event of a collision.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,861 Posts
...emphasis on costly. This is a winner based on price alone. If I didn't seat belt our dogs in this would be the one I would buy..

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R SAP
202 Posts
To answer an earlier question, yes, you can put the seats down with the OEM barrier in place. Did this just the other day to get skis in the car.

I recall our OEM barrier on our 2001 OB. It was inexpensive, but it was cheaply made - always came loose, scratched up the interior bits it touched, and most certainly would not have stayed in place during a serious collision, even if there was no dog (or other cargo) in the back. I recall thinking "I wish Subaru would have made this more substantial." They did for the 4th gen cars, but guess what - it costs more. Money well spent IMO.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5, Ice Silver Metallic.
92 Posts
Does anyone have any detailed photos of the factory one in place and how it mounts ? I want something more substantial than a compression mount between the headliner and the floor.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Does anyone have any detailed photos of the factory one in place and how it mounts ? I want something more substantial than a compression mount between the headliner and the floor.
Hope these help. The lower front bracket attaches using the front wheelwell tie down screw hole. The factory screw and chrome tie-down are removed and replaced with a screw with a "thumb screw/wheel" to fasten to wheelwell.
There is a clip that fastens to the upper arms and screws to the carseat anchors in the ceiling. When installed the factory barrier is rigid and firm.

DB #1.jpg DB #4.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5, Ice Silver Metallic.
92 Posts
Thank you for the pics. Do you have more that would show the rest of the barrier installed? Is it fairly easily taken out and reinstalled?

·
Registered
2018, Outback Touring 3.6
41 Posts
We just picked up our 2011 and are trying to come up with options on a barrier for our Chocolate Lab, she's about 70 pounds. Has anyone looked at this product? It says it fits in all cars?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/WeatherTech-60010-Tubular-Pet-Barrier/dp/B0007TJ7GW/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1358875240&sr=1-2&keywords=dog+barriers[/ame]

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
In the past, I always used a crate when traveling with our dog but her crate will not fit the Outback (I knew this when I bought it and have considering solutions). I am not so interested in the dog barrier as it is very expensive. A month ago an idea popped into my head that I have been evaluating in van. It is simply a cable anchored between the tie-down rings (taut) with a ring on the cable (this easily slides on the cable). On the ring is a short length of cable with a snap hook on the end (just long enough to reach the D ring on her harness). This has worked well in the van and I will install the same in the Outback (as soon as I get the Canvasback liner). The dog likes it better than the crate and it should keep her from flying around the vehicle in the event of a collision.
You should double check that the tie downs in the Outback can hold the dog. I have used them to hold luggage in place using a cam strap and the little tie down loops started to bend. This wasn't a ratchet strap so I was surprised at how weak they are.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
pcpilot128, If your dog is not unruley it will keep her from the back seat. I'm not convinced in hard stop situation that it would not move with a standing dog leaning/thrown against it. It also leaves indents in the headliner.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts