Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks ago there was a storm, a tree fell down on top of my 2011 outback.
I took some pictures here
https://picasaweb.google.com/112982...authkey=Gv1sRgCOPV1pXXvpT50QE&feat=directlink

I checked with dealer's body shop, they said they will replace the whole roof, roof rack, rear liftgate, and the total bill is $4500.

I don't have comprehensive coverage, fortunately the property owner have some insurance and will cover the repair cost but not include rental cost. The body shop gave a 30 days estimate, and it could longer if some parts are out of stock, besides they may need to order additional parts in the middle of repair. To rent a car for 1 month will take at least $700, so I want to make the repair as minimal as possible.

I think it's ridiculous to replace the whole liftgate, and they will spend time to put on all the labels, like pzev...

What's the minimal repair I need to do?
1. Obviously the high tail brake light need to replaced. The LED inside still works, but I'm not sure if the deform of the steel part will allow replacing brake light only without fixing the adjacent dent.
2. I think the roof rack hole is not a big deal because I almost never use it. But the hole may need be to covered in case of raining.
3. There are some deforms on the roof. From the inside of the car, I cannot see any deform, so the damage maybe limited, but I'm not sure if there is some structural parts related to safety were damaged, and maybe it can only be known after the roof was removed. Is replacing the whole roof the only way to repair?
4. There are some scratches on left front door. But it is not the major part of time it taking.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Why can't you drive it damaged until the parts come in? I don't see why it would take more than a week in the body shop to do the actual repairs.

Check with a couple of auto dealers to see what they want for car rental........Many rent for less, since they hope you will like the rental, and consider buying. Good luck.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Roof damage is the hardest to fix and one of the easiest things for a insurance company to simply total a car for. However it looks like for the most part it is just superficial skin damage and the rear spoiler clearly mangled - maybe the top side of the rear hatch damaged. We had a similar thing happen many years ago to a SUV. Though the roof damage was not as bad a couple of minor dents which were left as is but the rack was completely destroyed along with about $450 worth of bike rack fittings and gear which the insurance company replaced.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight
241 Posts
2 weeks ago there was a storm, a tree fell down on top of my 2011 outback.
I don't have comprehensive coverage.
There’s your first mistake :28:. You car is too new to not have it..

2. I think the roof rack hole is not a big deal because I almost never use it. But the hole may need be to covered in case of raining. .
This could be a big problem if left unattended.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roof damage is the hardest to fix and one of the easiest things for a insurance company to simply total a car for. However it looks like for the most part it is just superficial skin damage and the rear spoiler clearly mangled - maybe the top side of the rear hatch damaged. We had a similar thing happen many years ago to a SUV. Though the roof damage was not as bad a couple of minor dents which were left as is but the rack was completely destroyed along with about $450 worth of bike rack fittings and gear which the insurance company replaced.
From outside, even the normal part of roof can be pressed easily, so the deform may be just alright, the main impact seemed to be absorbed by the broken roof rack and the tailgate point.

I tried to push the top from inside, and the biggest deform of roof basically come back from sunken to almost normal.

The tailgate operates normally.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why can't you drive it damaged until the parts come in? I don't see why it would take more than a week in the body shop to do the actual repairs.

Check with a couple of auto dealers to see what they want for car rental........Many rent for less, since they hope you will like the rental, and consider buying. Good luck.
I asked the body shop about this, and he said that's how they usually worked. The potential problem is they found something else new need to be ordered in the middle of job.

Thanks for the tip, I'll ask some dealers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There’s your first mistake :28:. You car is too new to not have it..

This could be a big problem if left unattended.
I won't argue for the choice of insurance. Not every new car owner choose comprehensive, people make decision based on their reasons.

What do you mean the hole in roof rack could be big problem? water leakage? structural damage?

I sealed the hole with duck tape right now to prevent water leakage.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight
241 Posts
Yea the hole in the rack could expose your headliner and interior to the elements. Not directly but the water could get in through the damaged area and then flow in through the mounting holes - The entire rack itself is bolted to and through the roof.

I wouldn't foresee any structural damage from that, more than likely anything structural came from the tree itself.

If insurance has seen it already or wont have a problem with it.. I would try to caulk or otherwise seal the opening. I know duct tape is awesome but Idk if I would trust it.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Cover the basics first.<O:p</O:p
What is that parking lot, is that a business? With ‘the property owner have some insurance’, liability is liability that should include rental costs.<O:p</O:p
Among your best resource is your insurance agent (you have his undivided attention/interest), ask him about coverage/limits/subrogation. At least arrange to have the car inspected (claims inspection station), you’ll then have a 2nd opinion/analysis of a minimum *safe* repair condition.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Home owners policy covered the tree in our yard that landed on our car sitting in our driveway. Might make you review your insurance options...

Insurance is what it is - people always brag about having the cheapest deal but when it comes to needing it the cards generally fall the other way ;-)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really bad luck , but S*it like this happens, and a good insurance will cover it, I usually make sure to take every extra insurance I can get my hands on, because I know stuff like this keep happening to me..
<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1">
<param value="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/23/1x1.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
<embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/23/1x1.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1">
</embed></object>

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
He has no insurance (for this).<O:p</O:p
Anyway, forego the dealers - they deal cars, and sub out the body/paint. Go straight to the source, the body shop. Ask around, the good ones are word of mouth or don’t advertise.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Who owns the tree? Cities can be required to cover damages caused by fallen trees so chances are you need to find out who owns that tree. Yes that is how it works and why everyone has insurance these days. LOL good luck

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
“Act of God” prevails in most contracts/insurance.<O:p</O:p
City trees are usually in their ROW, so you are parked in a public conveyance. City Parks and Recreation are tasked with tree trimming programs, thus legally perform due diligence in mitigating damage from their trees (short of an Act of God) = the very reason for comprehensive coverage.<O:p</O:p
Should your neighbor’s tree blow (non-human caused) down and crush your car in your driveway – Act of God. The first rule/mechanism that makes you whole is your insurance, and may claim damages/subrogation through your neighbor = the very reason for comprehensive coverage.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
The OP has the offending party offering some compensation, that’s a good sign.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
195 Posts
I had a neighbors tree fall onto a cedar gate into my back yard. Rebuild material was only $60, my labor free. He gave me his insurance number. I called them and they also gave me the Act of God excuse. I asked her to e-mail me a copy of all the things God claims is his fault, in his hand writing and signed by him. Well, after she stopped stuttering I also asked her that isn't God responsable for every thing that happens, and so Insurance Companies don't have to pay for anything!!! I also said if this gets out, no one would buy insurance as they don't have to pay for anything. So soon ,even she would be out of a job. Well after getting her dazed and confused, I told her not to worry I'd pay for the gate so her company wouldn't go broke. I also asked her to ask God to quit picking on me.

Don't ya just hate insurance companies. Their right up there with Lawyers.:gasp: :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I searched online about "tree falling on car will insurance cover it", mostly said the tree owner don't have to pay anything because of act of god, unless you can prove the accident was caused by the tree owner's negligence which is quite difficult.

My car was in the parking lot of the condo, while the tree was from the adjacent shopping center. I contacted the shopping center property with no high hope, they had their insurance company contacted me, said usually it is not covered but this property management specifically bought a policy for storm, so I'm really lucky on this. However she also said clearly the rental will not be covered.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The duct tape was for emergency treatment because there were rains. I put one layer foil, one layer scotch tape, at last one layer duct tape.

Another method is to replace the rack only. It shouldn't need to replace roof to replace rack, right?

Yea the hole in the rack could expose your headliner and interior to the elements. Not directly but the water could get in through the damaged area and then flow in through the mounting holes - The entire rack itself is bolted to and through the roof.

I wouldn't foresee any structural damage from that, more than likely anything structural came from the tree itself.

If insurance has seen it already or wont have a problem with it.. I would try to caulk or otherwise seal the opening. I know duct tape is awesome but Idk if I would trust it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The duct tape was for emergency treatment because there were rains. I put one layer foil, one layer scotch tape, at last one layer duct tape.

Another method is to replace the rack only. It shouldn't need to replace roof to replace rack, right?
No, roof rack is riveted in. They should be able to drop the headliner, remove racks, pull out the roof. Fill, sand, and paint and then reinstall the rack.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i PZEV
21 Posts
Best bet is to do the legwork yourself, get with a shop that won't mind dealing with you and see if they will order everything they think they will need before you give it to them. It will most likely take more than 30 days. I flipped a Jeep once and the 3 week estimate turned into about 2 months due to unplanned part sourcing and having to repaint doors which weren't figured into the original time estimate.

Not to harp on the lack of insurance but I'm guessing you own the vehicle outright? I didn't think too many, if any, lenders would finance a vehicle without full coverage requirements.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Too bad about your OB's encounter with the tree. It looks like the OB saved the Corolla parked next to it. I'm rarely pleased with the workmanship of some body repair shops and usually depending upon the severity of the accident which require extensive repair the car is never right again. A few areas I would be annoyed with after extensive roof repair would be resale value, rust, leaks, rattles, roof rack performance with load, rust under the rack, roll-over integrity, etc. Good luck and hope you find a good reputable body shop.
Minimal repair?? based upon the pictures provided and the rear hatch opens/closes ok, the OB looks relatively intact and seems to only need a few broken pieces replaced. I'm sure the base of the roof racks are pushed into the roof since they took the brunt of the falling tree. If the deformations are not too bad maybe paintless dent repair guys might be able to do something cheaper if your paying out of pocket.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts