Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I think all signs point to it.

It was the only engine offered in the previous 7-passenger effort

It's still widely accepted in the industry to use a 6-cylinder engine in a large car like that.

They're still cranking out the EZ36R. I know it is probably the next engine they'll kill off, but I truly believe the plan is keyed to production capacity. They aren't going to want to to buy any new tools to make the EZ faster or in larger batches if it's the next one to get cut off...

So I think as sales take off in the new 7-passenger car they'll curtail availability in the Legacy/Outback- hopefully by that point offering a new third engine option.

·
Registered
2015 outback limited wilderness green/ivory. Moonroof Package Eyesight. 2015 Suburu Outback Premium Pearl white/black eyesight power tailgate
65 Posts
Centauri gets my vote

·
Registered
'17 Legacy Premium w/Eyesight
104 Posts
Hope if it hits the US it will have the 6 cylinder engine
This could be interesting as it could actually be a cross between SUV and minivan... which is actually what we currently see from Ford, Honda, GM, Mazda etc. Of course, they do call them SUVs but let us not kid ourselves, most of them cannot even keep up with the Outback off road... or even handle as well on-road. It does not look that innovative.

If Subaru does it right, it could work. IMHO it needs a 2 or 2.5L Turbo as we see in the current Volvos and Exploder... and we should also see a turbo-4 in CX-9 soon.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,053 Posts
This could be interesting as it could actually be a cross between SUV and minivan... which is actually what we currently see from Ford, Honda, GM, Mazda etc. Of course, they do call them SUVs but let us not kid ourselves, most of them cannot even keep up with the Outback off road... or even handle as well on-road. It does not look that innovative.

If Subaru does it right, it could work. IMHO it needs a 2 or 2.5L Turbo as we see in the current Volvos and Exploder... and we should also see a turbo-4 in CX-9 soon.
The new Volvo motors use both a low end supercharger...then mated, and sequentially fed to a turbo charger, once rpms come up.

You get the low end torque from the SC, and a high rev power band from the TC. It is a super interesting development. It eliminates the dreaded "turbo lag". Motors like this are the future. However, I expect that Subaru will not be on board with developing this technology. They might utilizie it in 1-2 model changes...after all the big guys do it.

Subaru sales numbers are not hurting, there is no incentive to be a leader. Gen4 and Gen5 activity here prove that. The MSRP Gen5 thread has 2000 responses and growing fast. A thread about "what you paid"...some threads don't get 2000 views in a year.

The Exiga is an interesting offering, JDM market. They offered a turbo and many of the +08WRX chassis stuff fits. You can turn it into a hopped up mini van. This Crossover 7...looks like an Outback that swallowed a Tribeca...or Alec Baldwin. It looks bloated, at best. And I would bet...ZERO aftermarket build options...if it becomes available.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Keep it simple, please. Small displacment turbo motors in heavy cars means the turbo is ALWAYS working. Ford's Ecoboost motors dont get remotely near advertised MPGs if you drive them like naturally aspirated motors. People need to wake up and understand that turbos consume LOTS of fuel when under boost. Power does not come free. If you want power, it takes fuel and oxygen. Most present day turbos are tiny twin scroll units. It means they spool quickly and often. It also meams that 2.0 turbo four banger consumes fuel like a naturally aspirated 3.5 liter V6.

·
Master Caster
16,053 Posts
Keep it simple, please. Small displacment turbo motors in heavy cars means the turbo is ALWAYS working. Ford's Ecoboost motors dont get remotely near advertised MPGs if you drive them like naturally aspirated motors. People need to wake up and understand that turbos consume LOTS of fuel when under boost. Power does not come free. If you want power, it takes fuel and oxygen. Most present day turbos are tiny twin scroll units. It means they spool quickly and often. It also means that 2.0 turbo four banger consumes fuel like a naturally aspirated 3.5 liter V6.
This very true, plus you need to be winding them up all the time, but they do get the obvious benefit when not under boosted load. Most EPA figures don't mean much anyway, the way most oblivious American drive.

We could all lean a bit from a hypermilling class.

·
Registered
'17 Legacy Premium w/Eyesight
104 Posts
The new Volvo motors use both a low end supercharger...then mated, and sequentially fed to a turbo charger, once rpms come up.

You get the low end torque from the SC, and a high rev power band from the TC. It is a super interesting development. It eliminates the dreaded "turbo lag". Motors like this are the future. However, I expect that Subaru will not be on board with developing this technology. They might utilizie it in 1-2 model changes...after all the big guys do it.
Vovlo also has 2L T5 with only has a turbo and you are talking about the 2L T6... In 2015 none of these engines came with AWD. T6 is very interesting; it might be ready for prime time once we see its reliability on XC90 (first Volvo to offer this engine with AWD) and then when it is coupled with AWD on other Volvos.

These engines in S60/V60 are capable of delivering similar MPGs as the Legacy although with FWD only but they offer MUCH better acceleration numbers... even compared to H6.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Used to be the rumor was for a smaller such as 3.0 six, with more power than the current 3.6 and lower fuel consumption. But in the mid size SUV class 3.5l sixes seem to be the standard. Don't think Subaru would for marketing reasons go for a smaller six than the competitors, even if it had better performance.

If Subaru wants to create a niche here for a big wagon, they can send over the Exiga, but somehow I don't think it would appeal to the American taste. Doesn't Hyundai have something like that, and it does not sell that well?

I am wondering what Subaru can borrow from the new Toyo Highlander, I am not talking badge engineering, but maybe borrowing a floor pan or interior layout.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
4,983 Posts

You get the low end torque from the SC, and a high rev power band from the TC. It is a super interesting development. It eliminates the dreaded "turbo lag". Motors like this are the future.
The real future is with electric super chargers! No lag and completely adjustable.
No excessive heat problems either.

» Electric Turbochargers: The Next Big Thing in Fuel Efficiency Navigant Research

FullElectric Electric Turbocharger Technology

Attachments

·
Master Caster
16,053 Posts
I have read about this technology. As stated in the link, a huge advantage is the benefit of not having to deal with the all of the pre-exhaust plumbing. Honestly, a system like this would benefit the H4/H6 platform greaty. The current set up is very "wide". Most cars are not made for helicopter engines. Just ask anyone changing the plugs on an H6.

There was literally zero consideration for a FMIC or a direct feed style spool...when I came up with my new power platform. There just isn't any room. Modifying the plumbing locations and routing...is advantageous.

Subaru will jump on the "working bandwagon" when the time comes tho...they will not be front line developers. So we will have to wait.

·
Registered
225 Posts
the 7 passenger suv like the acura mdx, and acadia variants
when the 3rd row up there is NO STORAGE AT ALL BEHIND THE 3RD SEAT

i like the name
ascent or columbia

it has to be better at space utilization than acura or acadia
haven't looked at the explorer
my ody minivan is almost the same length as the acadia but my ody has tons of room behind 3rd row

what about using the european diesel it has loads of torque

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,301 Posts
We've heard nothing official, but it's really pretty simple. Until the plant in Indiana has the additional manufacturing capacity, we won't see anything. And that's not scheduled to be done until the very end of 2016 - which will coincide with end of production of Camry and start of production of Imprezza. So at this particular juncture in the space-time continuum, I wouldn't get too excited about anything for another year.

That doesn't mean that they won't be designing one fairly soon - it just means we won't see much of anything out here in the real world for a while.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,963 Posts
what about

outback xl

or simply
XL
Like a GMC yukon > yukon XL (Extra Long).

I guess this old Pontiac trans sport minivan could be the XU
Extra Ugly edition, because the red and silver combo really sets it off.

·
Registered
CWP 2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ ES. WGM 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ ES
49 Posts
We will get a third row Subaru for the 2017 Model year. Think Highlander when trying to get a feel for the size of the vehicle. As far as engine...I haven't a clue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts