Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helping a friend with his 2006 B9. The rear control arm bushings are shot and it's destroying his tires in a hurry from how the rear is squatting.

https://www.subaruparts.com/auto-parts/2006/subaru/b9-tribeca/base-trim/3-0l-h6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat/rear-suspension-scat

Part # 10 in this diagram.

Does anyone know if that arm is serviceable? IE Can we replace just the bushings or do we need to replace the entire arm?

If we can replace the bushing only what is the part #? I'm a little confused because I'm getting mixed messages depending on the site.
@idosubaru @traildogck @eagleeye @cardoc

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,963 Posts
in my experience with my H6 and those parts.

buying OEM bushings for my car alone, was only slightly cheaper then buying the whole OEM arms.

rust sucks:
you can try wrestling and possibly destroying the arm, trying to get them out,
....but, that keeps the thing off the road longer if you fail.

_____

is it rusty now like its hard to get someone to align it, as they don't want to overheat things and melt the rubber parts?

I had the OEM bushings that one of my friendly mechanics wanted me to buy online (he gave me a list after a visual inspection).,...but then when he was starting to pull it apart he called the local subaru parts distributor and got whole arms for a similar price. and then he would not have to wrestle with a press etc. for hours trying and swearing. (although he thought at first it was doable.).

and I returned the bushings that I bought to the online dealer,...and was happy they took them back as I was at like 60 days after receipt.

I would think 13 years on WV would be similar to the bottom of my car at the time.
(what with the toxic environment you got there: corrosion from ice melters,....coal ash,... used beer,....like you got to buy bottled water from out of state to "wash" the local water off your cars)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,387 Posts
i'm not all that familiar with bushings, and not at all with tribeca. $226 for the entire arm, woah!

maybe buy a cheap used one and then measure/look at it without down time?

rear squatting isn't the struts or springs?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,053 Posts
If Subaru lists a part number for a whole arm, and not the the individual bushings, then they don't consider it to be serviceable. Meaning "they don't" make bushings.

In this case, I think the whole arm is the only solution. Unless I had the arm then I could whip something up CKE SSP style.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We caved and found some arms at the local yard. 100 bucks used for both. A lot cheaper than 500$ new.

I think we plan to see if they're serviceable when we get them out and if they are we will replace them and have them ready if they fail from the salvage yard models.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,963 Posts
We caved and found some arms at the local yard. 100 bucks used for both. A lot cheaper than 500$ new.

I think we plan to see if they're serviceable when we get them out and if they are we will replace them and have them ready if they fail from the salvage yard models.
glad you found some, hope they are in great shape. (I see such things are all the same form 2006-14 for used buying).

in my previous post I was typing of rear LCAs and end links.

not upper control arms.

for discussion purposes and half assed pricing here is a schematic with part #s.

https://www.quirkparts.com/auto-parts/2006/subaru/b9-tribeca/limited-trim/3-0l-h6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat/rear-suspension-scat

_____-

on price:
I just bought a fuel filler hose new from "subarupartswarehouse" in CT,
they beat Quirk, Heuberger, and subaruonlineparts of Hicksville, NY.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,053 Posts

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
That link shows rear hub knuckle, not the rear upper control arm...
I see what you mean, I misunderstood the bushings that were being referred to. Yes, opposedforces also shows the upper arms as one piece.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
Such is life with a Tribeca. I paid a sizable amount for the front arms in fall. It was totally worth it with DIY install but an OB would have been about 60% of the cost.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
glad you found some, hope they are in great shape. (I see such things are all the same form 2006-14 for used buying).

in my previous post I was typing of rear LCAs and end links.

not upper control arms.

for discussion purposes and half assed pricing here is a schematic with part #s.

https://www.quirkparts.com/auto-parts/2006/subaru/b9-tribeca/limited-trim/3-0l-h6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat/rear-suspension-scat

_____-

on price:
I just bought a fuel filler hose new from "subarupartswarehouse" in CT,
they beat Quirk, Heuberger, and subaruonlineparts of Hicksville, NY.
Rusty what rust?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
Those tires...

DTD has Michelin Primacy at 135 and the ebay store often has solid coupons, like 100$ off a set of 4.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
He's currently running my old ones.
Tell him to keep track of DTD's ebay store. And the Memorial Day sale at the local Discount Tire.

No need to settle for the no-name tires.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,963 Posts
He's currently running my old ones.
how wide are they compared to the big meats that are supposed to be on there?

and did the Tribeca wear the inside down,...or your Gen5 outback? (both 5x114.3).

_____

that does not look like a lot of rust.

did the alignment shop try on the tribeca. (and say,..."buy parts, can't fix"? )

is there something busted/ bent with the rear UCA? (ran over a 250 lb wild hog or something)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts