Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done installing the 25mm Tribeca sway bar on my '01 LL Bean. It fits like a glove and provides a nice increase in roll stiffness.

Part number (20401XA00A)

When installing you need to drop the exhaust so you might want to have new gaskets on hand.

The Tribeca 25mm bushings do not fit and I can can't see an easy way to modify them. I ended up using a 1" hole saw to enlarge my stock (21mm) bushings. I'm not sure what other options there are. Maybe something from whiteline but I think the biggest bushing they make that will fit our bracket is 24mm. The Impreza and B13 legacy folks seem to get the stock Tribeca bushings to fit by trimming off the bottom but this isn't an option with the B12 brackets.

The stock end links fit. I used a washer on the end of the bolt between the bolt head and the sway bar because the Tribeca sway bar hole is a bit bigger.

It handles better in the turns for sure. I got mine from a online Subaru dealer for ~$70 shipped.

I get the impression that no one else has done this to a B12....

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
251 Posts
Excellent! I couldn't see buying one from Whiteline and only going from a 21mm to a 22mm. Now a 25mm would fit the bill!

I had already done the rear which helped a lot. This should tighten up the handling nicely!

Thanks for the info you always provide!!!

·
Registered
2001 5 Speed Manual 2.5L??? H4 Outback
134 Posts
This was the only recommended suspension modification recommended to me by the local subaru tuning shop

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
251 Posts
Ok. Well, I got my new Tribeca Sway-bar today around noon. YEA! Aside from first placing it in backward....(Glennda5id confirmed it won't fit that way) It's in. I used Energy Suspension 9.5161R Sway Bar Bushing Kit which only requires bending one side to the same angle as the OEM mount to fit. I also used a Seamless steel spacer from Lowe's and cut pieces to insert into the bar end as bushings to correct the difference in bolt size for the links.

I want to thank Glennda5id for all the work researching this upgrade! For less than $100.00 and a few hours work body roll is a thing of the past!!!

I upgraded the rear bar 2 yrs ago with a Whiteline 20mm.

Heading out tomorrow on a trip to Yosemite so I'll report the handling changes later.

Attachments

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Possible issues with turbo exhaust. Should fit Baja NA though for sure. Same chassis as 00-04 Outback. I would be really surprised if it didn't fit.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
251 Posts
And I thought the handling really improved replacing just the rear bar. It did but....

Since most of the work is done by the front sway bar this is well worth the money.

This is how they should have built the vehicle in the first place! Almost no body roll & no change, of course, in straight line ride quality. No knocks, squeaks, or binds. Really feels planted in curves. Just much more pleasurable for a spirited drive on mountain roads where I live. I would recommend this upgrade for anyone who knows what I mean.... :grin2:

·
Registered
2003 Outback LL Bean H 3.0L
4 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I installed the Tribeca front bar on my 03 LL Bean 3.0 about a month ago - still running stock rear bar. Had to unbolt the both exhaust pipes from the heads and let them hang down to get enough clearance to squeeze the bar in with some rotating and swearing. Used washers to fill the gaps between the endlinks and the swaybar. The body roll in the front is notably reduced, however, it has a tendency to understeer like crazy in emergency maneuvers due to the difference in stiffness between the stock rear bar and the (comparatively) massive front bar. Tribeca bar front & stock rear bar is a slight improvement in feel overall, but now I really want a Whiteline rear bar to balance it out and get rid of the crazy wagon body roll in the back (which feels really unsafe in emergency maneuvers when you pair that rear roll feel with how it wants to understeer).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts