Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is OK, there is not much an online presence for Tribeca owners but it shares the drive train with the Outback.

Wife just bought a 2010 Tribeca with 3.6 and five speed auto. Car runs great except when it doesn't
The AT oil temp light comes on along with CEL. The car begins to shift weird and has no power.

Then i reset the codes with my OBD app and everything is perfect for another few hundred miles.

We bought the car recently with 90,000 miles and no maintenance record. Trans fluid is topped off and appears fresh.

Could it be anything but the transmission control module?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
There could be several different causes. What code is being thrown?

Could be a faulty/clogged transmission cooler, a pinched/clogged cooler line, a bad pump in the transmission and probably several things I have forgotten about.

One thing is most certain. If the transmission is truly overheating and you don't repair the problem you will be replacing the transmission in short order.

Heat has been the killer of many an automatic transmission.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,963 Posts
when was the last time the ATF was changed?

and does it have the correct subaru HP ATF in it?

this Tribeca in this year, has a spin on filter. (possibly on a remote line).
the subaru filter is unique,...a long life product. (aftermarkets may not flow right and are to be tossed in the garbage).

when was the front and rear diff lubes changed last?

rarely does anyone change a TCU on a subaru. (so the last thing to think about changing in any case).

·
Registered
17,455 Posts
Definitely need the code(s) read, as already mentioned, and post them here. Also, note that most generic OBD code readers and apps probably don't access the TCM to read transmission-specific codes (distinct from engine-related codes), but if there is a transmission fault, and the CEL is also on, there probably would be a readable code from the ECM that's related to the transmission.

Does the AT Oil Temp light flash (indicating a problem) or is it on steady (which indicates the ATF temperature is too high)? This too could be relevant to diagnosis.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, this is some great info.

Codes are P1710 and P0700

However, I do not believe the trans is actually getting hot.

The occurrence has been random; after a 100 miles of highway or after 5 minutes on a cold day, and then weeks in between

After I reset it the last time I drove it 60 miles as hard as I could. I could get the problem to come back.

I don't drive the car as much and it's never happened while I was driving. I tend to run at higher revs. My wife is coming form a big SUV so she tends to lug it (in my opinion)

Car has 90,000 miles, appears to have been well kept, one owner, but there is only a spattering if maintenance evidence.

The trans is slightly over filled and looks very clean and fresh. Don't know if the used car dealer went through the fluids.

So lets assume none of the high mile maintenance was done.

I am a competent shade tree mechanic but I do not dive too deep into the wifes car.

At the same time, she does not want to hand it over to a real mechanic with an intermittent problem and an open checkbook.

So, where do I start?

Thanks

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,387 Posts
1. look for dented transmission pan
2. read codes - engine and trans codes. national auto parts stores do it for free. post the 5 digit code here.
3. try to find past service records. i've even found service records by calling Subaru dealers local to the particular car I bought (call the 1-3 dealers are the city the car used to reside in).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Codes are P0700 and P0710

Googling around this and other forums they seem to point to valve body or associated wiring and sensors but so few people come back to a forum to say what worked.

I will look for a dent also.

·
Registered
17,455 Posts
Codes are P0700 and P0710

Googling around this and other forums they seem to point to valve body or associated wiring and sensors but so few people come back to a forum to say what worked.

I will look for a dent also.
P0700 is not a specific trouble code; the ECM generates this code when the TCM sends it a request to turn on the CEL, such as when the TCM detects a fault.

Is the other code P0710, or P1710?

P1710 is a not uncommon code; it relates to the absence of a signal from a torque converter turbine speed sensor. When that code is set, the TCM switches to a "failsafe" mode, which limits speed and gear selection.

The sensor #2 of two turbine speed sensors.

Search here for P1710; there's a fair number of threads, which might be of interest and might help confirm the symptoms.

Here's a thread in another forum that shows how a broken wire on the valve body can lead to the code: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/installed-ipt-vb-got-cel-p0700-p0710-98446.html?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I read the suggested thread and several others. Starting to get a picture.

Assume the trans fluid is not actually getting hot. What things would trigger that light in order of likelihood or ease of repair?

I have not been able to look under the car for damage to the pan.

I checked the ATF it showed on the HOT/FULL line when the engine was cold, so, slightly over filled, right, could that do it?

The fluid looked very clean.

Would lack of maintenance cause this ?

The trans fluid/filter/flush etc has a pretty high change interval right? Like 80,000 miles?

But the car lived in the Bronx so it's likely seen a lot of urban miles.

·
Registered
17,455 Posts
Assume the trans fluid is not actually getting hot. What things would trigger that light in order of likelihood or ease of repair?
Not sure exactly which light you're referring to and what you're looking for. The P1710 code is indicating a problem; there might not be any other. See attached.

I checked the ATF it showed on the HOT/FULL line when the engine was cold, so, slightly over filled, right, could that do it?
Are you checking the ATF level with the car on a level surface, preferably after it's fully warmed up, and with the engine running? If the engine is not running, the level will show high. If it's set to Full with the engine off, it will be too low when the engine is running.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The light on the dash says "AT OIL TEMP"

But when i reset the code the light goes out and does not come back on. Likewise, the code does not come back (for weeks or days or hundreds of miles)

So I can reset the code but it's not like i can lower the temp. So it's a sensor problem, not an actual heat problem.

Yes, I check the fluid with the car running on level ground but the car was cold. The dip stick has a range of full/low hot/cold.
Mine showed full/hot which suggests to me it has slightly more fluid that in should.

The PDF has some great info but so far we have never been able to get the car to a shop (or my garage) with the fault still present.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YES, the trans pan seems to be dented.

When i hold a straight edge to it there is a concave area one side toward the rear.

So do you think straightening or replacing the pan might fix it?

·
Registered
17,455 Posts
Usual Subaru convention is that if the AT Oil Temp light comes on steady that means the ATF temperature is too high. If it blinks/flashes, there's a technical problem. But I'm not certain this applies to the 2010+ 5AT. Perhaps it comes on with any "fault", and when you clear the code (in this case the P1710, the AT Oil Temp goes out along with it.
@idosubaru - a small dent enough to cause trouble (or perhaps it was more but was partially straightened)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The dented area seems to pushed in smothly, as if the car ran over a log rather than a rock.

So what's going on inside, could htis dent be restricting flow? Or crushing sensors and wires?

·
Registered
17,455 Posts
Look at post #6 in the linked legacygt thread. There's photos of the valve body. In the right-side photo the screen for the ATF pickup is apparent. It's on the bottom. So, it is possible that if the pan were pushed up in that area, it could conceivably restrict the flow of ATF. There's also some wiring in that area.

The photos in post #8 show the upper side of the valve body. The solenoids are located here, and as they are on the upper side (unlike the 4-speed AT), they would be less prone to damage from a pan dent.

Here's a current thread where the P1710 is intermittent. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/428881-08-h6-had-p1710-p0700-errors-fixed-returned-dealer-says-s-yaw-sensor.html

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,387 Posts
@idosubaru - a small dent enough to cause trouble (or perhaps it was more but was partially straightened)?
In a 4EAT it doesn't take much, but i haven't seen a 5EAT. I can't see this one first hand, but clearance is so tight in all other Subaru AT's and it's so easy, cheap, dented, and throwing codes, i'd be tempted to replace it soon.

YES, the trans pan seems to be dented.
Replace the pan and inspect and other parts or wiring that could have been damaged.

I'd lean towards new since the pan lips and holes can be easily deformed, but used is an option if prices are inordinate, these are new enough if properly removed it's probably the only time a used one has been messed with and would be fine.

Does it look like it was 'reworked' in anyway, attempts made to pull the dent, or do the bolts, sealant, edges, show that it's been removed before?

Could probably test fluid flow/pressure and wiring externally without removing the pan, but that's beyond me and probably wouldn't take significantly less time than a pan swap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought i would do a final followup to this thread for anyone who might have similar problems.

Ultimately the problem went away. I have two theories about what happened.

My wife was coming form a truck a V8 when she first got the Subaru she kept the revs very low. It really felt like it was working too hard.

I told her to give it more gas so it would shift at higher revs.

Also, from the paper work we learned is was almost two years from the time the car was traded in until the time we bought it.

It lingered on car lots.

So, either my wifes driving habits or something related ot sitting for a long cuased the problem and when we started driving it long nad hard the problem went away.

thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts