Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited. Didn't like the 4cyl & CVT. We traded it for my wife's 2013 RDX AWD. She likes the RDX.

I missed the wagon, so I bought a 2005 Outback XT 5MT.

I like it in general, but it's not so much fun in town -- where I actually do most of my driving.

I like the 6cyl Outback, but they're really hard to find used.

I've been noticing several Tribeca's lately, and the prices don't seem too bad.

Any reason to avoid them?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Try an XT with the 5EAT in town. Really takes the edge off.

I don't know anything about the tribecas other than that they are big, drink lots of gas and share a lot with the other Legacy platform cars.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
Service Records, Service records, Service Records and a carfax wouldn't hurt either. The local dealer here has a 1st gen Tribeca Used for Customer Shuttle, occasional Parts running, been very solid, 250k and been reliable.
The 1 weakness I see on Tribeca's is front the lower control arm bushings, probably not a bad idea to replace them with urethane. Seems Gen 3 Outbacks and their Legacy counterparts have this malady, but it is alot more evident on the Tribeca's probably due to the weight.
I prefer the Second generation looks and visibility, they seem to handle better too.

·
Registered
present cars: 2010 Tribeca Limited and 2001 MB SLK 320
53 Posts
Had a 2010 Outback ordered and then all the front end wobble issues and canceled the order.........got a 2010 Beca Limited instead.......have 33,000 miles with no issues other than fuel mileage.....getting 15 in the city and 22 to 23 on the highway.......do not regret getting the Tribeca over the Outback, would buy another one.........

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel cost for the Tribeca is extremely similar to my current 2005 Outback XT.

I was just thinking since the 6-cyl Outback is hard to find used, and tends to be pretty expensive, I might check out some of the Tribeca's I've been seeing lately.

There's nothing really wrong with my Outback XT 5MT. I just happened to get caught in stop-and-go rush-hour traffic yesterday. That wasn't fun.

I've put about 4K miles on this Outback now, and I generally still thinks it's really fun to drive.
--

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I hear ya... sometimes I miss rowing my own gears, but not when the scenery is all brakelights.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
The Tribeca gets about as lousy MPG at the XT does.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The Tribeca gets about as lousy MPG at the XT does.
I'd expect it to be a lousy exchange- the XT makes it fun to burn all that gas. With the Tribeca, you have to carry around 5 pals to remind you how awesome it is.

Your family can be your pals right?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been seeing 2006 Tribeca's for around $10K.

This 2005 Outback XT w/5MT can be a lot of fun, but I'm finding I mostly just run to Sam's Club or Costco over lunch. My 2004 Astro Cargo (RWD) can do that.

The Outback XT is pretty awesome when I get out of town I just haven't been out of town in quite a while.

I keep eyeing Lexus RX's as a perfect grocery-getter.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The Tribeca actually puts the OB on notice for handling - subaru spent a pile of cash making the Tribeca as road savy as possible the original target were X3 buyers. The down side as pointed out is its thirst. Far far nicer ride than the OB and its handling is pretty respectable. However they are more or less orphaned vehicles Subaru nearly gave them away given the gas mileage and their seating room behind the front seats was sub par to competitor vehicles.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
987 Posts
The room is great in a 5-seater. The 7-seater version must be cramped when 2d row is moved forward. It maybe orphaned, but getting parts shouldn't be a concern. The number of mechanical components unique to the vehicle is relatively small - not counting the body panels, but body panels change every few years on any model, anyway.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A 6cyl Outback, or an XT automatic or a Tribeca would have each been an alternative to this 2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT.

For better or worse, I wound up with a 2013 VW Jetta SpprtWagen TDI DSG (auto).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts