Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R that routinely goes undriven for two months or more. Today, I discovered the battery had died and I couldn't jump start it without help from Roadside Assistance. [I guess they use industrial-strength batteries cuz my other car wouldn't do the job.] Now, to prevent this from happening again, I purchased a trickle charger from Home Depot - specifically, a 2A Schumacher Battery Extender "Rated for 300cca 6v/12v batteries." It plugs into the 12v cigarette lighter of the car and says it "maintains all powersport, car & boat batteries."

Will this work?

I ask because the power light on the trickle charger illuminates when the car is on and the trickle charger is plugged into the wall, but once I turn off the car, the light on the trickle charger goes out. So, I'm not sure that it's doing any good (or harm)? Furthermore, all other discussions of trickle chargers I've seen in these forums employ battery clamps - not a 12v plug, so I'm wondering if this will even work on this particular car.

I use a 12v trickle charger on one of my other cars - goes undriven all winter - and it works great but it's produced and sold by the manufacturer of the car, so there's no question about it's functionality or compatibility.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
It sounds like the car is disconnecting your 12v outlet when you shut the car down, therefore the charger is no longer connected to the battery.

There's a thread on how to convert the outlets to always-on

But another alternative is to hard-wire something to your battery that gives it a 12v socket where you can pop the hood and plug your charger into it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the record, the trickle charger did NOT work via 12v outlet - the car was dead again the next morning and I had to get the battery jump-started by Roadside Service and the battery replaced by Subaru. It turns out the trickle charger was supposed to include clamps for attaching directly to the battery terminals. I returned it to Home Depot for a replacement and am now using the clamps. The light on the trickle charger now shows an appropriate indication of power and I'll have the opportunity to test how well it maintained the battery in a few weeks. Fingers are crossed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts