Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 subaru legacy outback, 2.5l
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was tryin to change my spark plugs today and ran into some issues. i began on the passenger side and could not for the life of me get the socket around the old plug. the was some sort of rubber thing around the plug and the socket could not squeez in to get deep enough to loosen it. ill post pictures but any tips or trick will help. its 1999 legacy outback 2.5

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
Most sockets made for spark plugs have a rubber insert to cushion and help prevent cracking the plug. Sometimes this insert comes loose and stays on the plug when the socket is removed. That's what it looks like to me. If you can't reach in there and get it out, you will probably have to remove the valve cover to get more room to maneuver.

·
Registered
18,060 Posts
If it is the rubber insert from the socket, it looks as if it has been pushed down on the plug. In the sockets I have with inserts, the rubber mainly grips the top of the plug. It's clearly further down in the photos, probably because the spark plug wire extension was pushed down to make the connection, forcing the rubber insert to stretch around the wider part of the plug.

A long needle nose pliers might be able to grip and pull it off. (Although the heat down there might have hardened or bonded the rubber to the plug.)

radio-ron13, how did you take those pictures?

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
Try a long pair of long-jaw hemostats (where the hinge is nearer the middle and not way out on the gripping end) as they will need less opening to grab the rubber compared to a shorter jaw - which you may not be able to open enough when inserted in that long hole.

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
Another thing that will get you more room if you need is to jack up the engine.

-remove the six nuts (three each side) that hold on the exhaust manifold and pull it down off the studs
-remove the two nuts (one each side) on the motor mounts
-place a jack under the oil pan, with a 2x4 or 2x6 between the jack and the pan, and raise the engine a few inches.

·
Registered
1999 subaru legacy outback, 2.5l
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the ruber part is not from the socket it must be from the plug wire, or came off the boot i assume, but it sound like its ok to remove. and i just take the pics by sticking my iphone done there

·
Registered
18,060 Posts
If it's the spark plug wire extension that goes over the plug it should be evident by examining the wire or comparing that wire to the wires on the other spark plugs (as long as the same thing doesn't happen with those).

iphone pic -- that's quite good; close up, and well lit. Impressive, and it gets down into that narrow area between the valve cover and the car frame. Good idea!

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
If your wires are all good and the same length, it may be someone broke one, realized it then shoved another good spark plug wire boot down in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts