Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have problems filling the gas tank especially during hot weather. A solution has been to keep the engine running to allow the fuel to go into the tank. The dealer has previously replaced the tank filler tube due to rust and some associated plumbing. Now they say they must remove the rear suspension to drop the fuel tank to get at a valve/solenoid on top of the tank. Does this make sense to anyone? Check engine light has been on since the 'repair'

It's a 2003 Outback with 150,000 mi. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,669 Posts
if they can guarantee their troubleshooting is accurate - it quite likely is the source of the problem.

·
Registered
19,408 Posts
if they can guarantee their troubleshooting is accurate
Indeed, but I have never heard of a garage being willing to waive all the costs if it doesn't resolve the issue.

I presume they're considering the vent valve at the top of the fuel tank, which would require the tank to be dropped.

But what about that check engine light that's been on since the fill tube was replaced? What code(s) is it indicating and does it have anything to do with the problem?

Also, there are several threads here about inability to fill the tank that, as I recall, were traced to a defective (blocked) drain valve at the evaporation control charcoal canister. Obviously, I can't say that this is the cause in this case, but I wonder if it's been checked. A blocked drain valve can prevent air from escaping from the fuel tank when it's being filled, causing the pump nozzle to click off. Replacing the valve is far simpler than dropping the fuel tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I will check that drain valve, it seems plausible to me. The car is in NYC and belongs to my daughter but next time she is in town I will check it out. Might be my car soon anyway! Cars won't pass NY state inspection with the SES light on but it will in central PA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.