1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.6R 2017 Truckee/Tahoe Repeat Trip

Second trip - Some items to note:

- The 3R has enough power to do just about anything. The 3R is sweet. No regrets vs the 4 cylinder.

- over the 750 mile trip the overall mileage was 27.7 mpg, amazingly the same as my first trip to Truckee. It was driven on highways, back roads, 6000-7500 elevation, dirt roads, gravel roads, in DEEP mud (thank you, AWD, as it was in deep, deep stuff... almost bottoming out, sliding about... slow sideways mud drifts and feathering the gas pedal as I looking pensively for more solid ground), bumpy pothole dirt roads, two small streams and a bit of everything else. When we came OUT of one section there was a sign saying "rough trail, no vehicles". Argh. The problem is we came INTO that area by accident from where, in theory, you couldn't navigate in... and there were no signs saying "no vehicles" at my entry point. Will eagerly avoid that area in the future. I was forced into stopping at a spray wash afterward because it was.... embarrassingly covered with mud.

- On the highway I was not trying to drive for mileage. We kept up with the flow and moved along at a "nice pace".

- oil consumption (as some are concerned): none that I could tell. The level looked the same before/after.

- the Outback will hold, with ease, a fully inflated Fish Cat 4 float tube with all the necessary gear (waders, emergency "stuff", fins, vest, multiple fly rods, blah, blah, blah), boxes of essential "stuff"..... Lots of room.

Well, that's about it. Overall, very successful but I am looking forward to changing the tires (Bridgestone's out, Michelin's in).

Enjoy,

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tried the whole thing again, same trip, roads, altitude, etc. Mileage on the 3.6 was 29.0.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts