Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add some area lighting to the hatch to light both the trunk and the floor around. There’s a seller on eBay that offers various kits including on for the Levorg that replaces the two lamp access covers: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/362249207376

From the pictures these panels look identical to those on the 2011 Outback, but does anyone know for sure? They also offer a kit to replace the small access cover for the latch mechanism, but the twin lights look like a much nicer solution.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like it's not so easy to buy parts outside of the US. Took me a couple of minutes to find the part number for the Outback, no such luck on the Levorg. I did find a Levorg owners forum and I've posted a question asking for dimensions of the panel to compare.

I think worst case if I ordered them and they weren't quite right I could remove the LED panels and cut the appropriate size holes in the panels from the Outback. If I ruin them it's $18 for a replacement set!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update, a friendly Levorg owner in Australia measured the panels and they appear to be identical. I think the next step is to order a pair and hope they fit straight in...

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,995 Posts
Think this through:
1. Where does the switched power come from to drive this lighting (assuming you want them to come on automatically with the dome light)?
2. Where does the unswitched power come from (assuming these lights have a switch on them, which isn't evident from the link you provided)?

It appears to me that you're going to be adding some wiring under the headliner and trim pieces, and this is not going to be a trivial task.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick delivery and successful install. The only modification I had to make was connecting the supplied wiring into the car. The kit comes with a couple of connectors that are obviously designed to sit between the harness and the OEM light in the Levorg, which uses a different connector to the trunk light in the Outback. I was able to repurpose the supplied item and solder onto the two connectors for the actual bulb in the trunk light, which means the new lights get power whenever the trunk light is illuminated, regardless of whether they are 'on' or 'door'. Here's a pic of the wiring fudge, and the finished install:

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think this through:
1. Where does the switched power come from to drive this lighting (assuming you want them to come on automatically with the dome light)?
2. Where does the unswitched power come from (assuming these lights have a switch on them, which isn't evident from the link you provided)?

It appears to me that you're going to be adding some wiring under the headliner and trim pieces, and this is not going to be a trivial task.
See my recent post. I knew from the outset I would have to remove trim panels and install wiring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts