Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my truck indicator light always signals open on dash, even when trunk is closed. hence alarm doesn't activate. As well the door unlock switch will only lock the trunk and not open it. Does anyone know how to trouble shoot the issues please????

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't know where the door switch hides, but '05 models are notorious for the wiring harness failing inside the rubber boots that carry wires into the rear hatch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hey guys,

146,000miles. I called Subaru and they said most likely its the wire harness as well. Is there anyway I can test this w/out bring it to the dealership? Also, any contacts for buyin new harness?

·
Registered
141 Posts
SOP is repairing it yourself, if you can solder (crimp connectors will work for a while, but are prone to concentrating the bending in a smaller area, accelerating further breakage). This would be an ecxellent time to learn to solder (youtube?) & spend the labor money on a gun, solder, & shrink tube. Check all the wires in the harness with a moderate 'pull test', often there is more than one failing. Anything you do to provide stress relief at the failure point will help the cause.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
No harness needed - and no special tools - just looking over the wires where they pass from the rear head liner location through the rubber hose to the hatch chances are you will find the broken wire in there - simple fix and very easy to do even for a novice.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Ditto the above. I noticed one day that my CM brake light wasn't working properly on a 05XT, it would be ON without the key in the ignition or the brakes pressed... And I traced it to a broken wires inside the passenger side boot. I simply cut the rubber boot and found not only the CM brake cable disconnected, a bunch of other cables were cut (but not lacking continuity). I guess the CM brake wire was shorting to ground on another one and the light was going on.

I used some electrical tape and soldered the CM brake cable back and taped up all the rest and it was fixed.

Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Jay H
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing