Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru Outback 2011 2.5. The mark on the crankshaft seems off. It's not at 12:00. The mark on the block seems closer to 12:00. See pic. Which one should I go by? Or does something need to be corrected before I install the belt? Thanks in advance. (not sure about the prefix I had to choose)
Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Font Engineering

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i, 6M
232 Posts
I take it that you rotated the engine around and got the alignment marks on the camshafts correctly aligned before removing the timing belt? If so than yes, the crankshaft appears to be a tooth off.

In the end it really makes no difference as you just need to make sure all the marks are in their proper alignments before you put on the new belt.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,953 Posts
Yes the crankshaft is not correctly aligned as you suspect.

It is your role to turn the crankshaft so that the lines are properly aligned. As mentioned above, you do this before you install the belt.

When you install the belt it is wise to use some type of clip/clamp to hold the belt in position on the drivers side (US vehicle) camshaft sprocket as it will want to move and therefore the marks will no longer be in alignment.

Seagrass

1 - 3 of 3 Posts