Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm able to get the ball joint and the rear bushing to fit, but the front bushing is a good 2 inches off. I'm unable to push the LCA back any further. I have no idea what I did to mess it up... I've been at it for hours.
Any help will be appreciated!

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,817 Posts
Try undoing the ball joint and get both bushings in place first.
Otherwise, you could try putting a jack under the LCA at the end under the ball joint to compress the strut/spring. Be v-e-r-y careful as that can get sketchy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
^ what he said. Loosen both, position and if needed, use the jack CAREFULLY.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Otherwise, you could try putting a jack under the LCA at the end under the ball joint to compress the strut/spring. Be v-e-r-y careful as that can get sketchy.
Now the ball joint is unable to fit into the knuckle, although it seems a bit closer than before. I just can't maneuver it to fit now matter how I do it.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is as close as I can get the ball joint to fit when both bushings are in place first.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,706 Posts
This is how you do it if you are alone and you have verified your axle did not pop out of the trans (i think 2005 is when they quit using that pin to hold them in)

1. attach control arm to car finger tight bolts
2. CAREFULLY jack up the wheel in question via the brake rotor after you put the lugs back on and tighten down and then apply the brakes and hold them with a stick against the seat (they do make tools for this)
3. when the wheel is high enough you can slide the control arm over the ball joint.or in your case the ball joint into the knuckle, install pinch bolt and torque to spec
4. torque castle nut to spec if you did it the other way
5 lower car onto ramps so that the front suspension is at ride height and torque the bolts for the arm that attach to the sub frame

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is how you do it if you are alone and you have verified your axle did not pop out of the trans (i think 2005 is when they quit using that pin to hold them in)

1. attach control arm to car finger tight bolts
2. CAREFULLY jack up the wheel in question via the brake rotor after you put the lugs back on and tighten down and then apply the brakes and hold them with a stick against the seat (they do make tools for this)
3. when the wheel is high enough you can slide the control arm over the ball joint.or in your case the ball joint into the knuckle, install pinch bolt and torque to spec
4. torque castle nut to spec if you did it the other way
5 lower car onto ramps so that the front suspension is at ride height and torque the bolts for the arm that attach to the sub frame
Thanks a lot for your reply. I took a look at the inner axle boot and it looked mangled up... I think it popped out of the trans? Will removing the boot and popping it back in fix it?

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for your reply. I took a look at the inner axle boot and it looked mangled up... I think it popped out of the trans? Will removing the boot and popping it back in fix it?
View attachment 511468
I turn the rotor and feel it go back into place (it starts to spin with the rest of the axle), but as I spin the rotor a bit more, it pops right back out and starts to twist up the axle boot again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts