Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to pickup a trailer today and I want to make sure I have the right ball mount on the car. The car has a factory hitch installed (I think, see picture) for a 1 1/4" hitch. I have 1 1/4" drop/ 3/4" rise ball mount. The trailer is a typical 5x8 trailer from lowes. Is that the correct ball mount for this situation? sorry for the noob question, not new to subaru, but new to trailer mounting.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
don't know on the drop height based on the pics.

but 5x8 can be kind of a big trailer for any subaru. so watch how much you put in, (easy to fill one up past 2000lbs, including the trailer).

on any subaru the maximum weight is on the tongue is 200#, so you maybe shifting some weight to the rear of the trailer.

and watch your water temp gauge, pull over and let the car idle if it starts to climb.

increase following distances. (you want nothing in front of you).

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
It will be Rise height and its very trailer specific you want the trailer empty to be level or very slightly nose down. Loaded it will be more nose down. Nose down adds stability to the trailer nose tipped up above level is a big no no stability issues will happen.

Rough guess you will use an inch to two inch riser but it depends on the trailer ride height at the tongue

1 - 3 of 3 Posts