Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Legacy Outback dual range 5MT
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started another project on friday and just finished it up!
There is a couple of things I want to add to it but that is for another time.
So everyone tell me what you think!

·
Registered
2014 XV 5MT, 2000 Outback Limited 5MT
57 Posts
Very nice! I could only DREAM of making a tube bumper!

Could you elaborate on how you mounted it? Pictures of where it's mounted?

My only tiny little complaint is that it looks like the bumper is a little on the small side for your lights.

Also, you running a skid plate with the bumper?

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,071 Posts
Well done.
I like it.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Very cool, but it isn't finished yet! You REALLY need a grill or rock guard to protect the condenser from stone damage.

Does it have recovery points built in, and is it strong enough to use to jack the car?

Please post some detailed pics of the build.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
1999 2.2 Subaru Legacy Wagon L, 1999 2.5 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon - both auto
26 Posts
looks great! would love to see a side view if you've got one :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

looks great! would love to see a side view if you've got one :)
hope thats good enough if not I can take some more

Very nice! I could only DREAM of making a tube bumper!

Could you elaborate on how you mounted it? Pictures of where it's mounted?

My only tiny little complaint is that it looks like the bumper is a little on the small side for your lights.

Also, you running a skid plate with the bumper?
I used the stock bumper bar mounting points, the lights are actually giving more light than before! and i do have a skid plate

some one shot this off the post nearby my house so i got it for free!
Very cool, but it isn't finished yet! You REALLY need a grill or rock guard to protect the condenser from stone damage.

Does it have recovery points built in, and is it strong enough to use to jack the car?

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
This next weekend I'm going to add some expanded metal from my roof basket build for a grill/rock guard. I still have the stock tow point as of now and it seems to be strong to use a jack on. I'm still planning on stuff to add on to it.

·
Registered
1999 2.2 Subaru Legacy Wagon L, 1999 2.5 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon - both auto
26 Posts
you're the best

hope thats good enough if not I can take some more
much appreciated, trying to get some ideas for my lifted legacy wagon which has a pretty thrashed front bumper at the moment

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
How did you go about painting the body plastic?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did you go about painting the body plastic?
Now that was a fun experience! Basically I made a clean spot in my garage took as much of the trim off, like the bumper, thing below the doors and on the sides and masked the rest of the car off with a lot of newspaper, gave everything a lite sanding and gave it abut five even coats of krylon fusion in flat black. It took a good five hours of painting and I let it sit for another five, overall it was pretty easy. As long as you have a garage and can hold a spray paint can a good distance from the surface your painting its pretty easy. Just remember that most of the quality in the final product is all from the prep work!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yeah the prep work makes the difference for plastic.
I have heard mixed reviews of the Krylon.
Can't tell from the photos, how does it look up close?

·
Registered
57 Posts

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
THIS

A fine metal mesh radiator guard would be VERY beneficial.

Something like the Safari Rally cars would run:
http://www.ewrc.cz/images/1997/wrc/saf/ot_a_5_mcraec_3.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THIS

A fine metal mesh radiator guard would be VERY beneficial.

Something like the Safari Rally cars would run:
http://www.ewrc.cz/images/1997/wrc/saf/ot_a_5_mcraec_3.jpg
Yeah that would but I already have a bunch of extra 16g expanded steel which will work fine!

Yeah the prep work makes the difference for plastic.
I have heard mixed reviews of the Krylon.
Can't tell from the photos, how does it look up close?
Up close it looks pretty good, when I first got it done I had alot of people ask where I got it painted! If you decide to paint your trim black I would like to see how it looks with the lift because I'm tryin to figure out how much and how I should lift mine.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yeah I will at some point.
Someone decided it was a good idea to put a power washer nozzle about an inch from the body on my car.
So the plastic is missing some paint already, a good time to try a new color.
Never liked the tan/silver anyway, black is much better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah that would but I already have a bunch of extra 16g expanded steel which will work fine!

Up close it looks pretty good, when I first got it done I had alot of people ask where I got it painted! If you decide to paint your trim black I would like to see how it looks with the lift because I'm tryin to figure out how much and how I should lift mine.
Oh, sweet! I can't wait to see the finished radiator protection :29:

Also, I say got with at least a 2 inch lift kit to finish off the bumper, mesh guard, Grabber AT2s, for a proper full-on off-road look.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, sweet! I can't wait to see the finished radiator protection :29:

Also, I say got with at least a 2 inch lift kit to finish off the bumper, mesh guard, Grabber AT2s, for a proper full-on off-road look.
Yeah I should be finished with the mesh and radiator protection Friday/Saturday. I'm thinking about making a small stinger like all of the jeeps have! Eventually I will make a rear tube bumper too!

Yeah I will at some point.
Someone decided it was a good idea to put a power washer nozzle about an inch from the body on my car.
So the plastic is missing some paint already, a good time to try a new color.
Never liked the tan/silver anyway, black is much better.
Yeah I never like it much either, and it looks alot better with the bottom black! I only spent about 35 dollars on paint so I would say it's worth it!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts