Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to customize my 2001 Subaru Legacy limited version to GT. Is it feasible? What would I need to do? How much would it cost?

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,331 Posts
If you want a GT go buy one. It will be a lot cheaper and much easier.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
there is not a whole lot to do with these cars, intake, exhaust, and engine tuning, only yield meager gains for the money spent,.
...and people have tried and spent thousands.

vs. say trading it for a 6 cylinder car. (which does give more performance, without exploding on the side of the road like a turbo).

and leaving yours for someone that likes it.

this thread gets written like 15 times a month here,

and moved this one, and deleted duplicate.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,371 Posts
Would like to customize my 2001 Subaru Legacy limited version to GT. Is it feasible? What would I need to do? How much would it cost?
Not easily.
Plenty.
More than finding an H6 or turbo car.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,495 Posts
Just to clarify- the 2000-2004 GT was a minor variation of the regular Legacy. Just a few trim parts changed. Zero performance change.

Starting in 2005, the GT label took on a new meaning. Those models had an entirely new engine and a lot more power.

Not practical to convert what you have into one of those.

·
Registered
2003 Legacy L/SE Wagon (5 Speed)
179 Posts
I have a legacy L, if you want a GT of this generation it's really not that hard. Depending on your year GT has a whole different meaning. Cars101 has a great breakdown on differences, but usually the differences are minor (like having outback headlights instead of those single bulb ones) and heated mirrors and seats, leather interior (later years), ignition ring and puddle lights, and if you have an automatic transmission 2003 and 2004 got VTD 4EAT. Also GT's got a rear LSD (consensus is this doesn't make much of a difference) and maybe different springs and shocks.

Some years also had aerodynamic side skirts and a rear spoiler. It's more of an appearance package until the later years, where it gets the better automatic transmission and goodies

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,109 Posts
We need to clarify exactly what you're going for. A lot of the guys here are obviously assuming you're looking for more power, which is possible, but not easy or cheap (usually to the point that it's not worth messing with).

But, the way you word it isn't very clear. First off, there isn't a Legacy Limited. There's a Legacy GT Limited, or Outback Limited.

If you have a Legacy L, there are some differences between it and a GT, but they're basically all small, cosmetic, differences:
16" alloy wheels
Limited Slip rear axle
6 way power driver's seat
Glass sunroof (2 in the wagon, one in the sedan)
Fog lights
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic ground effects
Body colored door handles and outside mirrors
Keyless entry system
Leather steering wheel
Leather shift knob
Woodgrain patterened dashboard panel
Dual illuminated vanity mirrors
Driver's seat adjustable lumbar support
In-glass antenna (left rear glass)
Puddle lights in the front doors

Source: 2001 Subaru Legacy information, prices & options

All of these things could be added to your car, but many are far more work than it's worth. Keep in mind that the "sport tuned suspension", is just slightly different spring rates and damping settings. VERY small difference.

Reactions: rasterman

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
Just to clarify- the 2000-2004 GT was a minor variation of the regular Legacy. Just a few trim parts changed. Zero performance change.

Starting in 2005, the GT label took on a new meaning. Those models had an entirely new engine and a lot more power.

Not practical to convert what you have into one of those.
visual representation of a 2000-2004 LGT

vs. a later turbo LGT, constipated on the side of the road,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts