Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway i could put a turbo in my outback? Where i could buy one? what i would have to do? Price? information at all would be greatly appreicated.

-Will

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Will--

both Cobb Tuning and vishnu Performance Systems make turbo kits for Subies which appear to be well engineered. check their web sitesget ready to drop $4000 tho.

installation on kits is usually straightforward IF you're very methodical and detail oriented. toughest part is usually drilling hole in oil pan for turbo oil drain line. your maintenance regimen will have to become much more intensive....oil changes, coolant changes, etc etc all become much more critical.

you can home-brew a turbo system for a lot less with ebay parts but don't even think abt it unless you're willing to do some serious self-education.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i ABSOLUTELY agree. that way, someone else does the work and you also get uprated brakes etc.

unless you're a real sicko who spends most of his time and income on his ride(s) and you'll keep it forever, adding a turbo, either kit or homegrown, would just be a huge money sink. add a bathroom to the house instead.

and did we discuss the relationship between stuffing 50% more mixture into cylinders and those wonderful Subaru head gaskets?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been looking around, and i've only been seeing 4000+...So i dont think i will do it. On the other hand a Stromung Cat-back is what I tihnk i'll do next. I think if i did get a turbo though, i would just get like a impreza 2.5RS engine dropped in...But highly unlikely with those prices.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
forgive my stupidity, but....how's a 2.5Rs motor different from any other 2.5 (except that they might have gotten the SOHC motor earlier)?

and honestly, given the joys of mating up the wiring harnesses, computers, etc, you'll find an engine swap to be major headache and expense too. even the guys dropping 2.5s into VW buses and vanagons complain abt complexity of Sub wiring harness compared to many other possible swap engines. i'm in the middle of an engine swap right now and know what i'm talking abt when i say you can't even begin to imagine the pitfalls and minor glitches that will make your daily driver unusuable for months, at minimum. and for what % horsepower increase?

nothing agin hot roddin, some of my best friends are hot rodders....but don't screw up the utility of your transport unl;ess you're ready for the long and winding road of time and $ expenditures......ask me how i know this.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
cptoversteer said:
...unless you're a real sicko who spends most of his time and income on his ride(s) and you'll keep it forever, adding a turbo, either kit or homegrown, would just be a huge money sink....

...nothing agin hot roddin, some of my best friends are hot rodders....but don't screw up the utility of your transport unl;ess you're ready for the long and winding road of time and $ expenditures......ask me how i know this.
Hey, I guess I'm one of those Sicko's. I turbocharged my 99 Hyundai Tiburon (it needed performance to go with the looks), and I'm in the process of supercharging my 4.2L Range Rover. The list of modificaitons to my motorcycle, (edited for the sake of folks who don't wanna read stupid gear head parts list). There isnt' anything wrong with modifying/turbocharging your vehicle. But like "cptoversteer" said, be prepared for the expense and downtime. If you do it right, reliability shouldn't be a concern.

If you really are interested in doing it. Consider picking up "Maximum Boost" by Corkey Bell and/or "Turbochargers" by Hugh MacInnes

Both go into good detail as to "how" to do it yourself. I would reccomend "Maximum Boost" first though. It's much more detailed, and written in a way that everyone can/could understand the concepts, with good photos and illustrations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Random
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing