Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone else had any more info on them than I did. I am unsure if they are going to be released this year or not (I don't believe so) but I've been hearing rumors of 400+ HP. I know that they have built a few already and are tweaking them, but who can say when production begins.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Hmmm never even heard the rumours myself, so cant help you there. Doesn't sound all that likely to me though since as far as I know Subaru have never turbo'd the H6 before. Would be an awesome beast tho... :D

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
I had read somewhere that Subaru is in the developing stages of building a flat six turbo.I don't know how true this is but why not,they have one on everything else.If not a turbo,how about 2 more cylinders.Flat 8 they can do it!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,553 Posts
They built a flat 10 or 12 for an Italian racing team. I can't find the links now but I probably came to know of it at either usmb or nasioc . Also, I think at nasioc, I saw pics from a car show that had a SUPERcharged H6 on display!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Well, as my 98 is currently down for a head gasket, I am considering some alternative replacement units...

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
Yeah,thats the one i remember seeing a flat 12.I sure would like to hear that puppy run,what a torque monster!

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
I have read in some motor magazines that this is going to happen. I think it will be a Liberty STi. I'll have to look back at those magazines and report back.

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
I wonder if that flat 12 is a couple oh flat sixes bolted end to end?

It doesn't seem a very long flat 12 and the sixes are very compact so it stands to reason that it might be 2 x 6's bolted togehter. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
1996 OBS
61 Posts
I'm not certain in this case, but I know that generally when engine manufacturers build an engine like this, they usually weld 2 blocks together. I'd imagine that Subaru welded 2 H-6's together to get this monster....

--Josh

·
Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I've heard, the turbo 6 will be primarily used in a possible sport sedan built of off the 7 passenger chassis. With the current trend towards more fuel efficient vehicles, I doubt an H12 would ever see production light of day. Subaru likes to build concept cars that they will probably produce.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Subaru did build a twin turbo 400 HP H6 engine that they used in a concept car to test out the 5EAT. Forget what the name was but I believe it was showed off in Geneva Auto Show in 2002 or 2003.

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
Wow! that flat-12 is BEE-U-TEE-FULL!!!

Back in the early '90s my Dad told me that Subaru had twin turbos on the SVX in Japan only, w/over 400hp. Never saw pictures or anything, so just a rumor I guess.

Todd

·
Registered
'04 Outback 3.0 Premium
1 Posts
I did read somewhere (cant remember where) not long ago that Subaru have developed a turbo H6 but have not been able to get the power output with fuel economy and emissions at the levels they wanted. Imagine, 6sp man turbo H6, I'll be the first at the door with the cheque book if/when its released! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts