Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned 2 Subaru's. A 1991 Legacy wagon 5spd FWD and a 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited. I think I'd like another Subaru wagon.

I test-drove a 2005 Outback XT (turbo) 5spd and thought the turbo really added to the fun-factor.

If you were to make an analogy to shooting, would you say the turbo is more like full-auto, or more like a suppressor?

Full-auto is a lot of fun at first, but the novelty wears off pretty quickly. Especially with ammo prices these days.

Suppressor is fun day in and day out. Never get tired of it.
--

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Are you still sticking to the 10K budget? Go look at the GT legacy or legacy wagon before you start thinking the XT was fun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Considering a N/A car in 2.5 feels like it can barely get out of its own way... at least our 99 felt that way, and gets only about 24mpg, the 05 turbo we have in auto trans in very nice to drive and gets 20mpg, and in 5 spd it could be more fun and have potential with careful driving to get 21mpg?
Basically, careful driving gets ok fuel economy but you still have a great fun factor.

my $.02

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
LOL does she know that they are the same car? Minus the dumb SUV badging and dummed down suspension?

I've never found the OB appealing EVER only reason I have one today is we needed a wagon for the dog and kids and the Subaru OB wagon was pretty much the only choice with any sort of respectable reliability. I would switch back to a Legacy or Legacy wagon in a heart beat. My mom's knows this which is why she won't let me drive her legacy hardly ha ha. Even though I'm the one that bought it for her after she did all her research and made the call on what she wanted.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Here's the Legacy GT Wagon I found.
Nice what exactly did she not like about it? For a fun car the legacy GT models are about as close as you get to the old sleeper ride that can beat the pants off some pretty respectable cars. They also drive very nice compared to the OB. As for snow capability 10yrs in the Sierras with huge amounts of snow and I never had any complaints about my legacy nor did it ever get stuck. Now with the OB I know for sure that the legacy and the OB regarding snow ability are pretty much the same minus a very minor difference with the OB ground clearance but to me after running the legacy for 180,000 miles hands down I would take the legacy every time given the option. Just a super nice fun car to drive the OB not so much. More like a lousy car to drive and just a little better than an SUV regarding handling. So given the choice between a Explorer or similar type of wagon SUV and the OB sure the OB is more fun to drive but when looking at cars now way in **** is the OB even close. LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the '07 OBXT and my buddy had the '09 Legacy 2.5i.

You get over 20% more ground clearance with the OBXT vs the legacy platform. It all depends on your driving, but we drove into some pretty sticky situations in WA where we were basically testing the limits of our cars. There was no comparison, the OB was in a different class. If you're planning on driving in 6-inches or less of snow, or if you never drive on logging roads (or the likes thereof), I would say to go with the LGT in this case because of the better twisty-road (i.e. city, or highway) handling. But if you are more of an "outback" driver, go skiing often, camping, mudding, etc. then Outback all the way. Believe me, it's amazing how much 20% ground clearance can make.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I have the '07 OBXT and my buddy had the '09 Legacy 2.5i.

You get over 20% more ground clearance with the OBXT vs the legacy platform. It all depends on your driving, but we drove into some pretty sticky situations in WA where we were basically testing the limits of our cars. There was no comparison, the OB was in a different class. If you're planning on driving in 6-inches or less of snow, or if you never drive on logging roads (or the likes thereof), I would say to go with the LGT in this case because of the better twisty-road (i.e. city, or highway) handling. But if you are more of an "outback" driver, go skiing often, camping, mudding, etc. then Outback all the way. Believe me, it's amazing how much 20% ground clearance can make.
His 4.7l toyota 4x4 will out 4x4 the outback every time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Maybe you're right. But what gas mileage does it get in 4wd? How are the safety standards? Does it have covered cargo? Is it as comfortable as an OBXT on the road? You're missing the point, Subiesailor - he's already sold on the OBXT. Just for the 4x4 reasons, yeah, the pickup is great. But he wants ALL of the features of the OBXT. Furthermore, his wife (whom we all know wears the pants in any relationship) has stated her disapproval.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
BTW, that LGT manual is ridiculously rare. Just based on that, you should jump on it! Although it did just have a turbo replacement which could point to problems.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW, that LGT manual is ridiculously rare. Just based on that, you should jump on it! Although it did just have a turbo replacement which could point to problems.
I test-drove it over lunch. I liked it as much as the WRX.

"Local" is defined as from within Colorado. Seems like the items that were repaired covers a lot of the major subsystems.

These guys seem to really know a lot about Subaru's and do offer an extended warranty.
--

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's the Legacy GT Wagon I found.
Be careful with Monument Motors. A friend of mine who lives in Monument was looking to buy a Forester Turbo there years ago, sometime in 2005. He was all set to buy one he had found there when he found out it had a salvage title. According to him, Monument Motors only sold Subarus with salvage titles. He found this out after talking to the owner there. Obviously this was 7 years ago now and they may have changed their practices, but if I were you I'd really check that car out before you jump on it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The turbo never gets old.

The one buzz kill of my LGT was when I got high centered in snow. The OBXT is higher and I run more aggressive tread. It's a freak in the snow, no regrets.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Be careful with Monument Motors. A friend of mine who lives in Monument was looking to buy a Forester Turbo there years ago, sometime in 2005. He was all set to buy one he had found there when he found out it had a salvage title. According to him, Monument Motors only sold Subarus with salvage titles. He found this out after talking to the owner there. Obviously this was 7 years ago now and they may have changed their practices, but if I were you I'd really check that car out before you jump on it.
You're right - that's exactly how they got their start, and exactly what they did.

It's a regular car dealership now. They don't rebuild salvage Subaru's anymore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's good to know Micheal, thanks. I'll probably be paying them a visit soon. As to your original question? I've only driven a couple of turbo Subaru's and I can tell you that for me at least, having the power of a turbo on hand, ESPECIALLY at this altitude is something I wouldn't get tired of.:)

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
22 months now, still not tired of the turbo.

And what seabass said. The LGT wagon 5MT is rare... pretty sure it was one year only, and not that many made overall.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
rasterman
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing