Subaru Outback Forums banner

621 - 640 of 949 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I loaded my 2.5 with family and luggage and up into the local mountains over the weekend and had no trouble whatsoever accelerating and passing other traffic at over 7,000 feet. While I'm not about to go racing up Mauna Kea or Pike's Peak, I'm quite satisfied that the 2.5 engine is more than adequate for most situations.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,603 Posts
Weird thing is how the XTs are flying off the shelves, while the old 3.6 didn't sell.

Must be marketing 101.

Go figure!
It is not that the 3.6 did not sell well, in fact they were an excellent selling vehicle that was always in demand. Subaru never produced the engine at a ratio higher than 7%, I always thought that they would sell more if they produced more. Artificially keeping production lower than demand keeps demand high.

I have not seen production figures on the 2020 XT but based on what I have seen it appears that they have ramped up production on the XT vs. 3.6. At product lauch most dealerships received an excess of XT models. Also the ongoing industry trend over the past 5-10 years has been to produce smaller, more efficient turbocharged engines. TGDI is what the consumers have been clamoring for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Haven't seen this reason yet...

Do you have a problem with impulse control when it comes to modifying a car?

With the XT and availability of the Cobb Accessport... there's a chance this would go from a reliable daily driver/baby hauler/grocery getter/etc. etc. to a "let's push the envelope", "need a bigger CVT cooler to keep the transmission temps down", "time to consult IPT, LevelTen, MRT Performance to get the transmission to hold more torque", etc.

If you get the 2.5, you'll be limited in what you can do... unless you go full standalone and start fabricating your own kit and so forth... but then it wouldn't have been easier to start with the XT.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Touring XT
100 Posts
I have not seen production figures on the 2020 XT but based on what I have seen it appears that they have ramped up production on the XT vs. 3.6. At product lauch most dealerships received an excess of XT models.
Strange that for the Legacy things are reversed. There are 0 XTs showing within 100 miles of me but 248 non-turbo Legacys (showing 93 Outback XTs). There are only 67 Legacy turbos showing available for the entire US. (viewing through autotrader.com, cars.com showing 61 in the US)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
469 Posts
Strange that for the Legacy things are reversed. There are 0 XTs showing within 100 miles of me but 248 non-turbo Legacys (showing 93 Outback XTs). There are only 67 Legacy turbos showing available for the entire US. (viewing through autotrader.com, cars.com showing 61 in the US)
You're less likely to tow with a Legacy eliminating part of the power need, and you won't be offroading where the additional torque might be handy. If choosing that style vehicle, it's usually for fuel economy so those numbers make sense to me.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring - Crystal White Pearl
12 Posts
I purchased the 2015 Outback 2.5 and drove it for 4.5 years, 70k miles, before I totaled it in Jan. 2020 (Not my fault and everyone is ok). I lusted over the thirsty 3.6R but opted for better gas mileage and averaged 24.8 mpg over its life. Going to replace it with a 2020 Outback. There were only a handful of times that I felt like I needed a quicker car. Usually when exiting a parking lot from a standstill onto a busy highway feeder. Making that 90 degree turn from a stop and getting up to traffic speed of 50+ was ... challenging. I think I will get the XT this time 1. for those situations 2. because the mileage hit I expect is only 2 mpg vs. my 2015 3. Because it’s quieter 4. because It’s more fun. IF I was still commuting 40 miles per day, I would probably stay with the 2.5 and be happy with my decision.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
325 Posts
I purchased the 2015 Outback 2.5 and drove it for 4.5 years, 70k miles, before I totaled it in Jan. 2020 (Not my fault and everyone is ok). I lusted over the thirsty 3.6R but opted for better gas mileage and averaged 24.8 mpg over its life. Going to replace it with a 2020 Outback. There were only a handful of times that I felt like I needed a quicker car. Usually when exiting a parking lot from a standstill onto a busy highway feeder. Making that 90 degree turn from a stop and getting up to traffic speed of 50+ was ... challenging. I think I will get the XT this time 1. for those situations 2. because the mileage hit I expect is only 2 mpg vs. my 2015 3. Because it’s quieter 4. because It’s more fun. IF I was still commuting 40 miles per day, I would probably stay with the 2.5 and be happy with my decision.
Be careful on #1and #2 as they may not be as accurate as you think. The other two are spot on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, Ice Silver/Titanium Gray Leather Interior
256 Posts
I drove a 2015 Outback Premium 2.5 for a couple of years and have driven a 2018 Outback Limited 2.5 for a couple of years now. The 2.5 engine has been fine for my needs. It's not sporty or quick but that's not why I drive an Outback. I always found the 2.5 engine to be reasonably capable and adequate.

I just test drove the new 2020 Outback Limited with the new 2.5. The 2020 feels similar and "evolutionary." It does feel smoother (IMO) and is a bit heartier than my 2018 OB Limited 2.5. I perceived a smoother powerband through its fake gear-shifting ranges on the CVT. Those transitions (fake gear shifts) are smoother than the Gen 5 engine (2.5) IMO. It also felt better when downshifting (fake downshift on the CVT) when gunning it to get out of traffic quickly.

I just test drove a 2020 Onyx XT with the new 2.4 Turbo. It was more impressive than the new 2.5 in terms of punch. When I hammered the pedal to the floor to test the Turbo, there was a notable "lag" before it kicked in. When it did, I was very impressed. But that lag was rather disappointing and unrefined for sure. It did, however, push me back in the driver's seat. Cool. That was seductive but I don't really 'need it'. It's more of a "want." I think I might enjoy getting better gas mileage from the 2.5 over the sportier zip of the 2.4T turbo engine. Dunno. It did impress me, however. Sort of a mixed bag.

I didn't really get a feel for the 2.4 Turbo lack of refinement in any meaningful way since the test drive was brief. Having driven it, the Motortrend report (and others) about the unrefined aspects of the new Subaru 2.4 Turbo are cause for careful scrutiny. I was however impressed by its performance once the turbo was doing its thing.

My lingering questions are:
1. How different is the Turbo in everyday city driving?
2. Is it even smoother than the 2020 2.5 motor?
3. Do I really want to spend $1800 more and get worse mileage? (I am a city commuter with occasional road trips for the most part?

All that said, I'll probably go with a 2.5 Limited. But the XT is rather seductive yes?

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
325 Posts
I drove a 2015 Outback Premium 2.5 for a couple of years and have driven a 2018 Outback Limited 2.5 for a couple of years now. The 2.5 engine has been fine for my needs. It's not sporty or quick but that's not why I drive an Outback. I always found the 2.5 engine to be reasonably capable and adequate.

I just test drove the new 2020 Outback Limited with the new 2.5. The 2020 feels similar and "evolutionary." It does feel smoother (IMO) and is a bit heartier than my 2018 OB Limited 2.5. I perceived a smoother powerband through its fake gear-shifting ranges on the CVT. Those transitions (fake gear shifts) are smoother than the Gen 5 engine (2.5) IMO. It also felt better when downshifting (fake downshift on the CVT) when gunning it to get out of traffic quickly.

I just test drove a 2020 Onyx XT with the new 2.4 Turbo. It was more impressive than the new 2.5 in terms of punch. When I hammered the pedal to the floor to test the Turbo, there was a notable "lag" before it kicked in. When it did, I was very impressed. But that lag was rather disappointing and unrefined for sure. It did, however, push me back in the driver's seat. Cool. That was seductive but I don't really 'need it'. It's more of a "want." I think I might enjoy getting better gas mileage from the 2.5 over the sportier zip of the 2.4T turbo engine. Dunno. It did impress me, however. Sort of a mixed bag.

I didn't really get a feel for the 2.4 Turbo lack of refinement in any meaningful way since the test drive was brief. Having driven it, the Motortrend report (and others) about the unrefined aspects of the new Subaru 2.4 Turbo are cause for careful scrutiny. I was however impressed by its performance once the turbo was doing its thing.

2. Is it even smoother than the 2020 2.5 (DIT) motor?
3. Do I really want to spend $1800 more and get worse mileage? (I am a city commuter with occasional road trips for the most part?

All that said, I'll probably go with a 2.5 Limited. But the XT is rather seductive yes?
If you are doing mostly city, you should stick with the 2.5. City milage on the turbo when all is said and done will not be that great, real benefit is highway driving.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you are doing mostly city, you should stick with the 2.5. City milage on the turbo when all is said and done will not be that great, real benefit is highway driving.

I tend to agree. I get seduced by extra performance, but I think I'll enjoy better mileage and will benefit more from that than the zippy appeal of the turbo. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
23 Posts
Remember it's not just the additional power, it's a better and quieter windshield much stronger and quieter transmission as well as a much better stereo system in the XT. My best friend has the non turbo and you can definitely hear and feel the difference. His 2020 sounds and feels like my old 17. On the highway he's getting 29 to 30 I'm getting exactly the same thing He's getting much better in the city by 3. After nine Outbacks the turbo feels like it completely different car quieter smoother you don't even know it has a CVT

·
Registered
256 Posts
Remember it's not just the additional power, it's a better and quieter windshield much stronger and quieter transmission as well as a much better stereo system in the XT. My best friend has the non turbo and you can definitely hear and feel the difference. His 2020 sounds and feels like my old 17. On the highway he's getting 29 to 30 I'm getting exactly the same thing He's getting much better in the city by 3. After nine Outbacks the turbo feels like it completely different car quieter smoother you don't even know it has a CVT

I believe the stereo in the 2020 Limited is the same Harmon Kardon in the Limited XT. But you're right about the Windshield. It's that acoustic glass. Not sure how much quieter it is. Is the XT engine louder? I wonder why they didn't use that glass in the Limited too? (Another topic for another thread)

What kind of city mileage are you getting in your XT in town? Seems like most XT owners are saying 18 - 20mpg. Not a deal breaker, but I like getting 26mpg's. I want to test drive an XT again before making a final decision, but they can't keep them in stock on the dealer lots. I really need to test drive a Limited 2.5 versus the XT back-to-back ...without my sales guy talking the whole time.

This 2020 Outback 2.5 loaner has been really nice to try for a few days. Even the base 2.5 engine is better than my 2018 Outback limited. Not dramatic, but it is better. and the ride quality is smoother too. But I can't figure out why there is so little cubby space. Even the door pockets are smaller on the new 2020. But that's not a Turbo/Non-Turbo Topic. Just sounding it all out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I believe the stereo in the 2020 Limited is the same Harmon Kardon in the Limited XT. But you're right about the Windshield. It's that acoustic glass. Not sure how much quieter it is. Is the XT engine louder? I wonder why they didn't use that glass in the Limited too? (Another topic for another thread)

What kind of city mileage are you getting in your XT in town? Seems like most XT owners are saying 18 - 20mpg. Not a deal breaker, but I like getting 26mpg's. I want to test drive an XT again before making a final decision, but they can't keep them in stock on the dealer lots. I really need to test drive a Limited 2.5 versus the XT back-to-back ...without my sales guy talking the whole time.

This 2020 Outback 2.5 loaner has been really nice to try for a few days. Even the base 2.5 engine is better than my 2018 Outback limited. Not dramatic, but it is better. and the ride quality is smoother too. But I can't figure out why there is so little cubby space. Even the door pockets are smaller on the new 2020. But that's not a Turbo/Non-Turbo Topic. Just sounding it all out.
I am getting around 23 to 24 mpg with a mix of 80% city and 20% highway. I'm not a lead foot but having the extra power is a plus for me.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
all the outbacks have the acoustic windshield glass - the limited and touring XT get the "Sound-insulating front door glass" (Onyx does not).

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

2. Is it even smoother than the 2020 2.5 motor?

I've not driven the 2020 non-turbo, but if the 2019 Crosstrek can be considered a stand-in:

In city driving, you're not going to appreciate the turbo.

The way in which the turbo is smoother, is simply that it has the grunt to loaf at reasonably low RPM's while going uphill - it has an effortless feel. The naturally aspirated motor will have to rev higher to do the same thing. If you're not climbing mountains or going at high speeds, it's not going to be smoother in city traffic.

Yes you do want to spend 1800 more and get worse gas mileage. The turbo power is a luxury. It's like asking if you want to spend more money to get leather, or upgraded stereo, or other things that, while unnecessary, upgrade the experience. On those road trips it will be a joy to open it up.

Yes turbo is seductive. Give in to your desires. You Only Live Once. Get the car you want, not the one you need. You can afford it. What's money for if not to indulge in hedonistic bliss? (devil's advocate!)

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited (Magnetite Gray Metallic)
430 Posts
I really need to test drive a Limited 2.5 versus the XT back-to-back ...without my sales guy talking the whole time.
Ask them to let you test drive without the salesman.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am getting around 23 to 24 mpg with a mix of 80% city and 20% highway. I'm not a lead foot but having the extra power is a plus for me.
Thank you Jet787. I would be very happy 23-24 with the extra XT power on tap. Hmm. Quieter glass is a big deal to me. ... which you only get with the XT Turbo power. Hmmm

621 - 640 of 949 Posts