Subaru Outback Forums banner

621 - 640 of 712 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, 2014 Forester, 2007 Outback Limited
14 Posts
Yes you do want to spend 1800 more and get worse gas mileage. The turbo power is a luxury...

Yes turbo is seductive. Give in to your desires. You Only Live Once. Get the car you want, not the one you need. You can afford it...
I bought the limited XT Turbo in Late December. This is my 3rd Outback (and 7th Subaru if you count my wife's and daughters), and it's the first time I didn't compromise and go cheap. Yes, it hurt to write that check for a few thousand more than I wanted to spend, but that was a one time event and in the past. Now, whenever I go to pass someone on a hill and the turbo kicks in, I smile a little bit. That feeling will occur over and over again for the next 10 years or more, based on past history.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,690 Posts
I bought the limited XT Turbo in Late December. This is my 3rd Outback (and 7th Subaru if you count my wife's and daughters), and it's the first time I didn't compromise and go cheap. Yes, it hurt to write that check for a few thousand more than I wanted to spend, but that was a one time event and in the past. Now, whenever I go to pass someone on a hill and the turbo kicks in, I smile a little bit. That feeling will occur over and over again for the next 10 years or more, based on past history.
Yup, for me a couple extra thousand $$$ for more performance was worth it too. Especially after living with the 2.5i for 7 years, I absolutely knew I needed more power.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited, Tungsten/Ivory
212 Posts
Yup, for me a couple extra thousand $$$ for more performance was worth it too. Especially after living with the 2.5i for 7 years, I absolutely knew I needed more power.
What sorts of negatives do you experience with the XT Turbo? What bothers you if anything about it?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,690 Posts
What sorts of negatives do you experience with the XT Turbo? What bothers you if anything about it?
I would say, the lack of low end torque is annoying some times until the turbo kicks in. When it does it is great but if you are in heavy stop and go traffic, you will notice the low end torque missing if you are like me and have a lead foot.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
804 Posts
277 LBS of TQ comes on at 2,000 rpm, perhaps your getting the turbo lag mixed up with lack of low end TQ?

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
150 Posts
I think it's actually the way the CVT is tuned, not turbo lag or a lack of torque. At least that's what the reviewers are saying. Either way, I'm happy with my decision after having a 2.5 for two and a half years.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I’m pretty sure it’s all of the above. The game is to tune the drivetrain so that it provides adequate power at various speeds and yet delivers better mpg. So such things as “boost point” are important because that’s when the turbo is applied, with more power and more fuel consumed.

It never will be perfect for all drivers or conditions, and overall is really difficult to deliver a totally smooth power delivery. IMO, that’s what the driver feels and calls “lag” but really is all of the system, not just the turbo every time. But once in boost it’s very responsive.

Which is why I gave up my DIT for a 3.6. It drives better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
297 Posts
I’m pretty sure it’s all of the above. The game is to tune the drivetrain so that it provides adequate power at various speeds and yet delivers better mpg. So such things as “boost point” are important because that’s when the turbo is applied, with more power and more fuel consumed.

It never will be perfect for all drivers or conditions, and overall is really difficult to deliver a totally smooth power delivery. IMO, that’s what the driver feels and calls “lag” but really is all of the system, not just the turbo every time. But once in boost it’s very responsive.

Which is why I gave up my DIT for a 3.6. It drives better.

Interesting how many people now state how they need the turbo for the extra power, but when people stated the same logic for the 3.6 they got lashed out at....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'13 BMW 135i, 6MT, PPK / '20 Outback Limited XT
31 Posts
I think what is being described as turbo lag is actually transmission lag. My 135i is a manual transmission car and I have 100% of torque available at around 1700 RPM - I leave the transmission in 3rd at speeds around 25mph and can get instant boost; I put it in 5th at 45mph and get instant boost.

Why do tractors have such huge rear tires? Torque multiplication - 277 ft lbs is good but not enough and the CVT and highway geared final drive are there to aid in fuel economy, but it takes time for the CVT to get to a position where torque is adequately multiplied.

That's my take and I'm sticking to it . . . ; -)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think what is being described as turbo lag is actually transmission lag. My 135i is a manual transmission car and I have 100% of torque available at around 1700 RPM - I leave the transmission in 3rd at speeds around 25mph and can get instant boost; I put it in 5th at 45mph and get instant boost.

Why do tractors have such huge rear tires? Torque multiplication - 277 ft lbs is good but not enough and the CVT and highway geared final drive are there to aid in fuel economy, but it takes time for the CVT to get to a position where torque is adequately multiplied.

Yes, the CVT lag off the line is terrible. It certainly handicapped my Forester XT. After that I didn't have a lot of interest in an XT Outback.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,690 Posts
277 LBS of TQ comes on at 2,000 rpm, perhaps your getting the turbo lag mixed up with lack of low end TQ?
Could be. I drive mostly on highways and very little in stop and go traffic. So I notice it little less than the average driver but my main use case lies >3000 RPMs and at elevations. So the turbo is more important to me than off the line pick up.

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5
174 Posts

The larger the tire the more torque reduction. That's why tractors need engines that produce very high torque. Tractor tires are large because they drive in muddy fields and need very high clearance.

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5
174 Posts
I'm thinking that they probably tuned the turbo to limit torque off the line in order to prolong life of the CVT. Even the high torque version of the CVT will struggle with very high torque without causing excessive wear.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm thinking that they probably tuned the turbo to limit torque off the line in order to prolong life of the CVT. Even the high torque version of the CVT will struggle with very high torque without causing excessive wear.
From what I have previously read, that’s true. Also what is true is that the “boost point” is not just related to the CVTs limits, it’s mileage. When boost is enabled the fuel and air are increased together. A lot. Mpg goes down quickly. In my FXT a few full throttle fast passes when the vehicle easily zoomed up to 80-90 were deadly to mpg. But, cruising along at 60 with nothing showing on the boost gauge the mileage was over 30 mpg, easily.

The poster above with the BMW not only has a different transmission, it’s also tuned as a performance vehicle.
Early boost point, maximum go fast, running premium. Feels good, though.

The OBXT has to deliver a little better mileage than the 3.6 somehow, so careful tuning and the A/SS with a default three step “off” system helps out.

EJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discuss the reliability of the turbo unit over the life of the car. I have never owned one with a turbo, and never wanted one so I can't offer any real world experience on this subject, but would love to hear from some owners that have had one for many years and lots of miles. I tend to keep cars 200K+ miles so I am used to things eventually wearing out like trans and alternators and AC compressors. I have heard that turbos are very expensive to replace, so that is why I choose not to add another item to the list of potential repairs. Also, I do not tow things or live in the mountains, am a conservative driver that puts about 12K miles per year on my car. I traded my '02 Chrysler with 187K miles (on it's 3rd trans...) for an '18 OB 2.5L and it is everything that I wanted and needed.
Have 3 cars with turbos. Both a 2003 VW Passat 2.4T and a 2003 Volvo V70 2.4T have approx 165000 miles. Both bought new, use synthetic 5w40 oil in both, cool down after a run, change oil at 5K or less. No turbo problems. Newer car is a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee with v6 turbo diesel. Use to tow a travel trailer. Drive easily on initial towing, cool down, change oil at 5K, approx 50% recommended interval. Bought new. 37K, no problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New poster, I test drove both engines and the Turbo was just a better experience overall especially on the highway, so I picked that. We do a lot of drives to my Partner's parents' house, which is an hour drive through nowhere Kansas. Kansas drivers are very frustrating (slow, do not pay attention, scared of any weather that is not sunny for some weird reason), the extra Zip really helped me get around those drivers. As another comparison, I actually took mine in today to get a hitch and the audio upgraded and took a Crosstrek loaner. After 2 minutes, I was already really missing the turbo. Yeah, the gas mileage is not the best, but honestly compared to my Focus (which averaged about 28 mpg overall), I don't really mind. Now if they get a powerful hybrid option, it would be possible to get closer to have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
387 Posts
New poster, I test drove both engines and the Turbo was just a better experience overall especially on the highway, so I picked that. We do a lot of drives to my Partner's parents' house, which is an hour drive through nowhere Kansas. Kansas drivers are very frustrating (slow, do not pay attention, scared of any weather that is not sunny for some weird reason), the extra Zip really helped me get around those drivers. As another comparison, I actually took mine in today to get a hitch and the audio upgraded and took a Crosstrek loaner. After 2 minutes, I was already really missing the turbo. Yeah, the gas mileage is not the best, but honestly compared to my Focus (which averaged about 28 mpg overall), I don't really mind. Now if they get a powerful hybrid option, it would be possible to get closer to have your cake and eat it too.
How's the audio now compares to before?

621 - 640 of 712 Posts