Subaru Outback Forums banner

641 - 660 of 725 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
161 Posts
New poster, I test drove both engines and the Turbo was just a better experience overall especially on the highway, so I picked that. We do a lot of drives to my Partner's parents' house, which is an hour drive through nowhere Kansas. Kansas drivers are very frustrating (slow, do not pay attention, scared of any weather that is not sunny for some weird reason), the extra Zip really helped me get around those drivers. As another comparison, I actually took mine in today to get a hitch and the audio upgraded and took a Crosstrek loaner. After 2 minutes, I was already really missing the turbo. Yeah, the gas mileage is not the best, but honestly compared to my Focus (which averaged about 28 mpg overall), I don't really mind. Now if they get a powerful hybrid option, it would be possible to get closer to have your cake and eat it too.
Your logical fallacy is anecdotal.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
How's the audio now compares to before?
So I haven't had enough time to customize the settings to my perfect liking, but with default settings, it sounds way better than the base system. I listen to a lot of different music, but mainly hip-hop, and with the base version, the bass was so loud but tinny at the same time, I had to up the mids by 4 and the highs by like 3 points, and lower the base by 2 points just to hear the music somewhat balanced, but then anything, not bass-heavy, sound tinny and far away. With the Rockfords, everything sounded way better and will probably sound even better once I have fiddled with the eq and audio settings (probably increase the lows a point or two and maybe the mids and highs a point each).

However, I have heard the HKs are even better, unfortunately (or to be more accurate purposefully), aren't available to us Onyx owners.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,716 Posts
Well, that's why it is called an opinion and not a fact. However, I'm sorry that my opinion doesn't satisfy you, Commander Spock.
I can corroborate your statement. KS and MO drivers are sloooow and like to camp in the lane one right from the left lane. Very frustrating. Much prefer Chicago and LA driving. At least they are decisive. I can respect that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Most of those left lane parkers are out of state in my experience. I wish I'd see the law cite at least one of them before I die, it's been on the book for years now.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yikes, my comment was meant to be a humorous retort and wasn't meant to escalate, but I guess mission failed, still escalated anyway....I'll just keep my humor at the door moving forward, as I don't want to derail the thread anymore then I have.
It made me chuckle. Mission accomplished.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
675 Posts
Going to be in the market for a 2020 shortly, and trying to decide between an XT (probably Onyx) or 2.5 (probably limited).

Current vehicle - 2014 Outback Limited 2.5. 180,000 miles. Yes, I put on 30k miles per year, so a lease is a no way! I find the power adequate most of the time, but have frequently found it underpowered, especially loaded down with camping gear bouncing around hill country. I get around 24-25 mpg as an overall average. The car has been very good to me, oil changes is about all it needs. It's been awesome on tire and brake life, only had the brakes done once in its life and still on the original rotors. I do run winter tires and xi3's are on their 5th winter., and it's only had 2 sets of all seasons. But just recently both front wheel bearings went, there's rattles developing, etc. I mean, it's pushing 200k miles. It's gonna start costing more in maintenance. And I've never opened up the CVT and changed that fluid, I know it's supposed to be lifetime, but that has me worried.

- Work commute is very short. But I'm an engineer in a steel mill and have had 14 flat tires in 5 years driving around the mill! All repairable. But the full size spare of the Onyx is attractive for the "don't have to get this done RIGHT THIS MOMENT" factor.

- divorced dad, so 3.5 times a week I'm back and forth to see or pick up the kids, who are an hour away on country, twisty 2 lane highways. XT sounds fun, lol. And yeah, that's a factor.

- Extended family is 5 hrs away, I have a cabin 6 hrs away, girlfriend is 9 hrs away, and I'm a hardcore weekend warrior who thinks nothing of driving 8 hrs each way for a 3 day weekend to the mountains on a fishing/camping trip or to the beach. Probably 80% of total miles are on interstate, this is how I rack up so many miles. Being quiet, composed, comfortable road trip vehicle is important here. I'm gonna LOVE adaptive cruise whichever I choose.

I do a little offroading. Not serious stuff, I don't go for the "purpose" of offroading. But fishing and hunting involve frequent fire road stuff, and it goes on the well packed beaches now and then.

Concerns:
1. Never had a turbo. Over a 200k mile expected life with me, what's the increased maintenance gonna look like?
2. Is 200k mile life reasonable in an XT? Or don't they last as long?
3. Insurance cost. Will check. And mpg penalty on the interstate, specifically?
4. If I buy new, drive for close to 200k miles over 6 years, and trade it in. What's the difference in trade value between the XT and 2.5? I'm gonna get $5-6k on the 2014, for reference.
5. How much worse is the stereo on the Onyx vs. the Limited? What's the difference in noise level? Road trip comfort is important.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Going to be in the market for a 2020 shortly, and trying to decide between an XT (probably Onyx) or 2.5 (probably limited).

Current vehicle - 2014 Outback Limited 2.5. 180,000 miles. Yes, I put on 30k miles per year, so a lease is a no way! I find the power adequate most of the time, but have frequently found it underpowered, especially loaded down with camping gear bouncing around hill country. I get around 24-25 mpg as an overall average. The car has been very good to me, oil changes is about all it needs. It's been awesome on tire and brake life, only had the brakes done once in its life and still on the original rotors. I do run winter tires and xi3's are on their 5th winter., and it's only had 2 sets of all seasons. But just recently both front wheel bearings went, there's rattles developing, etc. I mean, it's pushing 200k miles. It's gonna start costing more in maintenance. And I've never opened up the CVT and changed that fluid, I know it's supposed to be lifetime, but that has me worried.

- Work commute is very short. But I'm an engineer in a steel mill and have had 14 flat tires in 5 years driving around the mill! All repairable. But the full size spare of the Onyx is attractive for the "don't have to get this done RIGHT THIS MOMENT" factor.

- divorced dad, so 3.5 times a week I'm back and forth to see or pick up the kids, who are an hour away on country, twisty 2 lane highways. XT sounds fun, lol. And yeah, that's a factor.

- Extended family is 5 hrs away, I have a cabin 6 hrs away, girlfriend is 9 hrs away, and I'm a hardcore weekend warrior who thinks nothing of driving 8 hrs each way for a 3 day weekend to the mountains on a fishing/camping trip or to the beach. Probably 80% of total miles are on interstate, this is how I rack up so many miles. Being quiet, composed, comfortable road trip vehicle is important here. I'm gonna LOVE adaptive cruise whichever I choose.

I do a little offroading. Not serious stuff, I don't go for the "purpose" of offroading. But fishing and hunting involve frequent fire road stuff, and it goes on the well packed beaches now and then.

Concerns:
1. Never had a turbo. Over a 200k mile expected life with me, what's the increased maintenance gonna look like?
4. If I buy new, drive for close to 200k miles over 6 years, and trade it in. What's the difference in trade value between the XT and 2.5? I'm gonna get $5-6k on the 2014, for reference.
5. How much worse is the stereo on the Onyx vs. the Limited? What's the difference in noise level? Road trip comfort is important.
Onyx doesn't have acoustic side glass as Limited does. GF 8 hrs, turbo.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,618 Posts

Concerns:
Don't dismiss the lease with the buy option. Even with your miles.
Run the numbers and compare!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
675 Posts
Consider me skeptical. Every lease option I've ever seen is maximum 15-20k miles. I'm gonna average 30k and 35-40k in a given year isn't out of the question. A brief googling turned up no lease options at all for that kind of mileage.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Pcray:

Sounds like a split decision, with you as the tie breaker.
On the road you will enjoy the extra effortless power of the turbo, and the mpg will be pretty close to the 2.5.

Short trips in town are tough on direct injection turbos, so you may do better with the “severe “ maintenance schedule, mainly changing the oil more frequently, and using synthetic. There is at least a fairly decent chance you will have to deal with carbon fouling with the XT over the long term, less so with the 2.5. It’s the subject of a lot of arguments among the technocrats and armchair experts.

In my own case, a Subaru 2.0 DIT, it gummed up at 37,000 miles and I don’t have it anymore. But other folks have less problems, IMO because they do less frequent short trips.

Bottom line if I was you: XT, but figure on more maintenance, and probably less longevity than a 2.5.
But you will enjoy the vehicle more.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,369 Posts
Most of those left lane parkers are out of state in my experience. I wish I'd see the law cite at least one of them before I die, it's been on the book for years now.
Careful what you wish for. If they are going to start enforcing every single law they just might start citing everyone going over the speed limit as well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Careful what you wish for. If they are going to start enforcing every single law they just might start citing everyone going over the speed limit as well.
No. I've been pulled over many times for speeding in over 50 years of driving. Senior citizenship has gotten me warnings for over ten years now I think.
I have NEVER seen anyone blocking the passing lane pulled over by law enforcement.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,369 Posts
No. I've been pulled over many times for speeding in over 50 years of driving. Senior citizenship has gotten me warnings for over ten years now I think.
I have NEVER seen anyone blocking the passing lane pulled over by law enforcement.
I get it. I'm just always amused when someone brings law enforcement into the passing lane subject. Wanting someone to obey one law so they can break a different law themselves is just a little disingenuous. 😄

·
Registered
161 Posts
Blocking the passing lane is more reckless than drivers traveling faster than you. You don't impress me as having much experience on the highways of this country...
edit: and fyi, I favor Monderman's observation of things being safer without any rules of the road. Problem is in this country people won't take responsibilty for their own actions.

641 - 660 of 725 Posts