Subaru Outback Forums banner

641 - 660 of 951 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper white
274 Posts
Obviously this thread has now gone to the dogs...

with the full size tire & in pink. Clearly a girl :)

Now get back to discussing how the NA will SAVE you the MPGs & $$$ over the turbo... turbo! turbo! turbo!

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
833 Posts
Remember it's not just the additional power, it's a better and quieter windshield much stronger and quieter transmission as well as a much better stereo system in the XT. My best friend has the non turbo and you can definitely hear and feel the difference. His 2020 sounds and feels like my old 17. On the highway he's getting 29 to 30 I'm getting exactly the same thing He's getting much better in the city by 3. After nine Outbacks the turbo feels like it completely different car quieter smoother you don't even know it has a CVT
Except for the XT limited and touring the windshields are the same. The HDCVT that is standard with the 2.4 is actually noiser than the regular CVT on the 2.5. I'n sure the HK sound system sounds better than the base unit

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, Ice Silver/Titanium Gray Leather Interior
256 Posts
I would be very happy that. Hmm. Quieter glass is a big deal to me. ... which you only get with the XT Turbo power. Hmmm
Except for the XT limited and touring the windshields are the same. The HDCVT that is standard with the 2.4 is actually noiser than the regular CVT on the 2.5. I'm sure the HK sound system sounds better than the base unit
I agree the HK System is dramatically better than the base model. My point in that regard is the Limited (XT or Non-Turbo Limited) both get the HK sound systems. (And Onyx and Touring models)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My previous car was 2006 Legacy that I always thought was a little underpowered, especially at higher altitudes in the mountains. So when I upgraded to a 2020 Outback, I just HAD to have more power and thus bought an XT Limited. I'm not unhappy with my choice and would probably do the same thing again. But honestly, I hardly ever press the accelerator hard enough to really spin up the turbocharger. Of course, I'm also not 20 anymore ...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, 2014 Forester, 2007 Outback Limited
14 Posts
Yes you do want to spend 1800 more and get worse gas mileage. The turbo power is a luxury...

Yes turbo is seductive. Give in to your desires. You Only Live Once. Get the car you want, not the one you need. You can afford it...
I bought the limited XT Turbo in Late December. This is my 3rd Outback (and 7th Subaru if you count my wife's and daughters), and it's the first time I didn't compromise and go cheap. Yes, it hurt to write that check for a few thousand more than I wanted to spend, but that was a one time event and in the past. Now, whenever I go to pass someone on a hill and the turbo kicks in, I smile a little bit. That feeling will occur over and over again for the next 10 years or more, based on past history.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,875 Posts
I bought the limited XT Turbo in Late December. This is my 3rd Outback (and 7th Subaru if you count my wife's and daughters), and it's the first time I didn't compromise and go cheap. Yes, it hurt to write that check for a few thousand more than I wanted to spend, but that was a one time event and in the past. Now, whenever I go to pass someone on a hill and the turbo kicks in, I smile a little bit. That feeling will occur over and over again for the next 10 years or more, based on past history.
Yup, for me a couple extra thousand $$$ for more performance was worth it too. Especially after living with the 2.5i for 7 years, I absolutely knew I needed more power.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, Ice Silver/Titanium Gray Leather Interior
256 Posts
Yup, for me a couple extra thousand $$$ for more performance was worth it too. Especially after living with the 2.5i for 7 years, I absolutely knew I needed more power.
What sorts of negatives do you experience with the XT Turbo? What bothers you if anything about it?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,875 Posts
What sorts of negatives do you experience with the XT Turbo? What bothers you if anything about it?
I would say, the lack of low end torque is annoying some times until the turbo kicks in. When it does it is great but if you are in heavy stop and go traffic, you will notice the low end torque missing if you are like me and have a lead foot.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
833 Posts
277 LBS of TQ comes on at 2,000 rpm, perhaps your getting the turbo lag mixed up with lack of low end TQ?

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
236 Posts
I think it's actually the way the CVT is tuned, not turbo lag or a lack of torque. At least that's what the reviewers are saying. Either way, I'm happy with my decision after having a 2.5 for two and a half years.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I’m pretty sure it’s all of the above. The game is to tune the drivetrain so that it provides adequate power at various speeds and yet delivers better mpg. So such things as “boost point” are important because that’s when the turbo is applied, with more power and more fuel consumed.

It never will be perfect for all drivers or conditions, and overall is really difficult to deliver a totally smooth power delivery. IMO, that’s what the driver feels and calls “lag” but really is all of the system, not just the turbo every time. But once in boost it’s very responsive.

Which is why I gave up my DIT for a 3.6. It drives better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
325 Posts
I’m pretty sure it’s all of the above. The game is to tune the drivetrain so that it provides adequate power at various speeds and yet delivers better mpg. So such things as “boost point” are important because that’s when the turbo is applied, with more power and more fuel consumed.

It never will be perfect for all drivers or conditions, and overall is really difficult to deliver a totally smooth power delivery. IMO, that’s what the driver feels and calls “lag” but really is all of the system, not just the turbo every time. But once in boost it’s very responsive.

Which is why I gave up my DIT for a 3.6. It drives better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Interesting how many people now state how they need the turbo for the extra power, but when people stated the same logic for the 3.6 they got lashed out at....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'13 BMW 135i, 6MT, PPK / '20 Outback Limited XT
34 Posts
I think what is being described as turbo lag is actually transmission lag. My 135i is a manual transmission car and I have 100% of torque available at around 1700 RPM - I leave the transmission in 3rd at speeds around 25mph and can get instant boost; I put it in 5th at 45mph and get instant boost.

Why do tractors have such huge rear tires? Torque multiplication - 277 ft lbs is good but not enough and the CVT and highway geared final drive are there to aid in fuel economy, but it takes time for the CVT to get to a position where torque is adequately multiplied.

That's my take and I'm sticking to it . . . ; -)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think what is being described as turbo lag is actually transmission lag. My 135i is a manual transmission car and I have 100% of torque available at around 1700 RPM - I leave the transmission in 3rd at speeds around 25mph and can get instant boost; I put it in 5th at 45mph and get instant boost.

Why do tractors have such huge rear tires? Torque multiplication - 277 ft lbs is good but not enough and the CVT and highway geared final drive are there to aid in fuel economy, but it takes time for the CVT to get to a position where torque is adequately multiplied.

Yes, the CVT lag off the line is terrible. It certainly handicapped my Forester XT. After that I didn't have a lot of interest in an XT Outback.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,875 Posts
277 LBS of TQ comes on at 2,000 rpm, perhaps your getting the turbo lag mixed up with lack of low end TQ?
Could be. I drive mostly on highways and very little in stop and go traffic. So I notice it little less than the average driver but my main use case lies >3000 RPMs and at elevations. So the turbo is more important to me than off the line pick up.

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5
218 Posts

The larger the tire the more torque reduction. That's why tractors need engines that produce very high torque. Tractor tires are large because they drive in muddy fields and need very high clearance.

641 - 660 of 951 Posts