Subaru Outback Forums banner

661 - 680 of 725 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,369 Posts
Blocking the passing lane is more reckless than drivers traveling faster than you. You don't impress me as having much experience on the highways of this country...
edit: and fyi, I favor Monderman's observation of things being safer without any rules of the road.
You don't have to get all defensive and personal. I said I get it. I just find the irony amusing. Don't take life so seriously. If you can't have fun you might as well stay home. 😄

Problem is in this country people won't take responsibilty for their own actions.
That often shows up in the voting booth, whether people are looking for opportunity or if they just want free stuff.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
161 Posts
You don't have to get all defensive and personal. I said I get it. I just find the irony amusing. Don't take life so seriously. If you can't have fun you might as well stay home. 😄

That often shows up in the voting booth, whether people are looking for opportunity or if they just want free stuff.
Bite me son. Your logical fallacies amuse me.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
161 Posts
See? You're learning. You really can have fun when you put your mind to it.
Fun would be taking care of the left lane parker with an old dodge power wagon and a good lawyer. Bantering with a bi-furcating contrarian, not so much.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,369 Posts
Fun would be taking care of the left lane parker with an old dodge power wagon and a good lawyer. Bantering with a bi-furcating contrarian, not so much.
You do seem like someone who would be parked in the passing lane with a dodge power wagon. Move over gramps, I'm comin' through.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,584 Posts
Blocking the passing lane is more reckless than drivers traveling faster than you. You don't impress me as having much experience on the highways of this country...
Speeding is the leading cause of fatal crashes. Cops give tickets to speeders because speeding is dangerous, and speeders should pay a tax (ticket) for making the roads more dangerous.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,716 Posts
Speeding is the leading cause of fatal crashes. Cops give tickets to speeders because speeding is dangerous, and speeders should pay a tax (ticket) for making the roads more dangerous.

Obviously but more than raw speed, it's keeping up with traffic that is more important. When someone is going 60 and traffic is flowing at 70-80m/h, they are creating a dangerous situation for drivers around them. I see so many drivers in the left lane doing the speed limit while there are cars behind them waiting for them to move over. Technically they are within the law but they are not the police and they should not take it on themselves to enforce the law.

One simple rule. If there is no one in front of you in your lane, move over. If there is someone behind you going faster, regardless of their speed, move over. Simple.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Obviously but more than raw speed, it's keeping up with traffic that is more important. When someone is going 60 and traffic is flowing at 70-80m/h, they are creating a dangerous situation for drivers around them. I see so many drivers in the left lane doing the speed limit while there are cars behind them waiting for them to move over. Technically they are within the law but they are not the police and they should not take it on themselves to enforce the law.

One simple rule. If there is no one in front of you in your lane, move over. If there is someone behind you going faster, regardless of their speed, move over. Simple.
If only the government would post speeds at which we all should drive thereabouts. Oh wait...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I am not a left lane slow driver, but I am not buying the notion that they are creating a dangerous situation. Nobody else here really buys that notion either. Just say you want to drive fast. I can respect that honesty.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have owned 5 turbocharged cars, and 4 naturally aspirated. All were great in their own ways. There's no right or wrong regarding getting a turbo or not. Turbos can be just as reliable as naturally aspirated engines as long as you maintain them well. Naturally aspirated engines are more forgiving of maintenance neglect.

When I see someone coming up behind me going faster than I am, I have no idea if they're someone rushing for no reason other than habit, or someone trying to reach a dying child - as a physician, or family member - or if it's someone trying to get to a suicidal friend. It matters not. I get out of the way. It's not on me to enforce speed limits or to judge those driving around me.

By the same token when I see someone driving slowly, I don't know if they're just being clueless road hogs, or if maybe it's someone in their twilight years just trying to maintain independence, but driving cautiously because they're aware of their compromised vision and reflexes.

People drive how people drive, for their own reasons. It's none of my business. When we begin to judge those around us for how they drive, it can result in road rage. Can't we all just get along?

·
Registered
368 Posts

The roads are safest when everyone is traveling at the same speed, and in the same direction and paying attention.
It's either safer driving or outdo the russian dashcams. I think we all know what most drivers want to do. :sneaky:

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,618 Posts
Slow in the left lane can cause dangerous situations.
Cops issue more speeding tickets because it's an easy source of income. Speeding is easy to proof and speeding tickets are difficult to fight in court.
But speeding itself can be dangerous as well.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Most of those left lane parkers are out of state in my experience. I wish I'd see the law cite at least one of them before I die, it's been on the book for years now.
In some states, like MD, so long as you are doing the speed limit, all lanes are treated equally. There was a case some years back where a state trooper cited a lady for doing the speed limit in the left lane. Once it hit the news the ticket was quickly voided.

In neighboring PA, which does have a move right law, PA state police regularly issue tickets.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have owned 5 turbocharged cars, and 4 naturally aspirated. All were great in their own ways. There's no right or wrong regarding getting a turbo or not. Turbos can be just as reliable as naturally aspirated engines as long as you maintain them well. Naturally aspirated engines are more forgiving of maintenance neglect.?
That’s a lot of turbos. How many of them were direct injection, and how many miles did you put on them? Did you have problems with carbon fouling? A number of posts have asked for some assessment of longevity since they keep their vehicles well over 100k.

I only had one DIT Subaru, and I was pretty sure I was facing a need to walnut clean at 40k because the chemical cleaning of the intake was not totally successful. There was no “maintenance neglect” on my part.

That’s a lot of maintenance more than a NA engine, which is why I traded it, even though I rarely keep vehicles over 100k. I suspect this will be the case with many DITs being sold now, but if it’s reality people should be aware.

What say you?

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm happy with the turbo. I don't have a lead foot and try to be gentle with the car, but it is very nice to have the power when needed, both on the highway and off. For that I'm willing to give up 2 or 3 miles per gallon. I am concerned about long term reliability though, since the turbos are another part to fail. The NA and turbo DI are equally likely to face carbon build up issues. I would have preferred the Toyota dual injection approach, but we will see if DI alone really makes a huge difference in long term reliability and performance, it is being used by many other manufacturers. As for sitting in the left lane, I think the German approach of "links gehen, rechts stehen" is good advice. In heavy urban traffic it makes little difference though. I truly hate the people who weave in and out at high speed, simply to gain a tenth of a second advantage at the end of the day, while causing accidents as people try to react to the sudden appearance of someone in a hurry in front of them. I used to drive an ambulance, it always amazed me that lights and sirens wouldn't faze some people, they'd just turtle along in the left lane. If the traffic is moving and you want to drive slower, please move the the right. But yah, I still hate the high speed weavers.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
QUOTE][/QUOTE]
That’s a lot of turbos. How many of them were direct injection, and how many miles did you put on them? Did you have problems with carbon fouling? A number of posts have asked for some assessment of longevity since they keep their vehicles well over 100k.

I only had one DIT Subaru, and I was pretty sure I was facing a need to walnut clean at 40k because the chemical cleaning of the intake was not totally successful. There was no “maintenance neglect” on my part.

That’s a lot of maintenance more than a NA engine, which is why I traded it, even though I rarely keep vehicles over 100k. I suspect this will be the case with many DITs being sold now, but if it’s reality people should be aware.

What say you?
This thread is about Turbo vs NA. Both the Turbo and the NA have GDI now, for better or worse.

This is my first GDI engine. I was talking about turbo vs non-turbo, not talking about GDI vs port injection.

·
Registered
411 Posts

No one behind them has any business going faster though.

661 - 680 of 725 Posts