Subaru Outback Forums banner

941 - 960 of 1000 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,791 Posts
Well, I can catch up and pass you even if that were the case, especially with survival cargo weighing the cars down and even more especially in the mountains where we would be heading to.
You'll be stuck halfway up that mountain because the turbo is less reliable. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like the turbo charged engine, the only disappointment I’d say it’s that the 3.6R during acceleration was less noisy, the 2.4 engine has some pep and gets up to speed quickly, just wish they would have done a better job quieting the engine a bit.

Of course the 2.4 is much better here in northern Nevada at higher altitude and the MPG is much better than the 3.6R.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper White
292 Posts
I like the turbo charged engine, the only disappointment I’d say it’s that the 3.6R during acceleration was less noisy, the 2.4 engine has some pep and gets up to speed quickly, just wish they would have done a better job quieting the engine a bit.

Of course the 2.4 is much better here in northern Nevada at higher altitude and the MPG is much better than the 3.6R.
....just drive a 2.5NA, makes the 2.4 as whisper quiet as an electric motor. Seriously.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
344 Posts
Yup, the 2.5 is loud, I had a 2010 Subaru Legacy and that car started getting loud.

I was comparing the 3.6R because it was such a rock of an engine. Kinda miss it now that it’s gone.
I have the 3.6 could not agree more

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
795 Posts
I like the torque of the 2.4T in my 2020 OB, but the smoothness of the 3.6R in my old 2010 OB was nice. And 6 cyl engines always sound better than fours, at least to my tastes.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
157 Posts
Drove our XT across country and back - NY metro to Denver and back. The turbo was just amazing on the open road. Test drove them both, soooooo glad opted for the turbo.
Did you make a note of the MPGs on that highway run? Just curious what it was. Got about 27 in MIIL's Ascent going from Denver to Albuquerque and back last fall.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,012 Posts
Did you make a note of the MPGs on that highway run? Just curious what it was. Got about 27 in MIIL's Ascent going from Denver to Albuquerque and back last fall.
I agree with @SM1. The XT is awesome on freeways. To your question, I get 30mpg easy using cruise control at 70-75mph. After 75mph, it drops drastically to around 26mpg. This was observed over a 3,000 mile trip (99% freeway and 1% surface streets).

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
487 Posts
Check fuelly.com, the majority of Ascent and Outback XT owners generally report lower mileage compared to epa estimates than 2.5 owners. It seems that, in general, turbo owners of most brands get less mileage compared to epa estimates than drivers of naturally aspirated engines do. It's been over 30 years since I had a turbo (87 Subaru wagon even before they called it a Loyale), so I have no recent experience. I have fond memories of that 87, a real kick in the pants compared to whatever NA engine was in our 85 Subaru wagon, but the turbo did overheat during long hill climbs. Our 20 Outback 2.5 may not have boatloads of power at higher speeds, but it does its job without complaint, is noticeably quieter than our 19 Outback, and has been returning great mileage in its first 9000 miles as you can see from fuelly in our signature block.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper White
292 Posts
Check fuelly.com, the majority of Ascent and Outback XT owners generally report lower mileage compared to epa estimates than 2.5 owners. It seems that, in general, turbo owners of most brands get less mileage compared to epa estimates than drivers of naturally aspirated engines do. It's been over 30 years since I had a turbo (87 Subaru wagon even before they called it a Loyale), so I have no recent experience. I have fond memories of that 87, a real kick in the pants compared to whatever NA engine was in our 85 Subaru wagon, but the turbo did overheat during long hill climbs. Our 20 Outback 2.5 may not have boatloads of power at higher speeds, but it does its job without complaint, is noticeably quieter than our 19 Outback, and has been returning great mileage in its first 9000 miles as you can see from fuelly in our signature block.
I had a rental 2.5NA for a few days and it is louder than my Onyx. I am amazed at your MPGs considering the higher revs in the 2.5NA as compared to my Onyx at acceleration, you probably get the efficiency at steady speeds. Good job with your MPGs DA!

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
344 Posts
I had a rental 2.5NA for a few days and it is louder than my Onyx. I am amazed at your MPGs considering the higher revs in the 2.5NA as compared to my Onyx at acceleration, you probably get the efficiency at steady speeds. Good job with your MPGs DA!
As I said before, if MPG is a top priority for you and you do alot of around town driving or stop and go, the turbo may not be the right choice. In general turbos take a huge hit around town, do not care what the epa sticker claims....also this particular turbo is in its element on the highway.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

941 - 960 of 1000 Posts