Subaru Outback Forums banner

961 - 980 of 999 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have owned several high mileage turbo equipped VWs and have yet to experience any problems or failures.

Are the turbos that Subaru uses not as reliable?
No, Subaru turbos are reliable, with the exception of when banjo bolt filters get clogged from low quality oil or oil filters - Subaru no longer uses those banjo bolt filters.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
22 Posts
No, Subaru turbos are reliable, with the exception of when banjo bolt filters get clogged from low quality oil or oil filters - Subaru no longer uses those banjo bolt filters.
Good to go!
I figured they were just messing with each other and I hadn't seen anything recently about Subaru turbo issues.
I always use good oil and filters anyhow!

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
166 Posts
It does not make any difference to me.... 2.4T, 2.5, 3.6. etc... With this colona bug, my new OB 2.4T is still sitting in my garage with 250 miles on it. I have not opened up the throttle to feel full turbo yet. It will take another year to finish break-in. At first six month, I will be changing oil with less than 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It does not make any difference to me.... 2.4T, 2.5, 3.6. etc... With this colona bug, my new OB 2.4T is still sitting in my garage with 250 miles on it. I have not opened up the throttle to feel full turbo yet. It will take another year to finish break-in. At first six month, I will be changing oil with less than 1000 miles on it.
I take my XT out for a long drive on Saturdays or Sundays. Usually go for at least 60 miles somewhere just to get the car moving at consent speeds.

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
166 Posts
I cannot drive more than 35 miles straight without hitting ocean. My option is to go around circle. And if I do that they might ticket me for the violation of stay at home order. Yes, I live on Oahu. I used to live in Oregon, and I enjoyed driving a lot. I missed that but no regret.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 2 onyx's. Been traveling a lot as I'm not buying into the Rona. For me the extra acceleration is worth it. Haven't actually looked up the 0-60. I'd say it feels sub 6 seconds?

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
338 Posts
I have 2 onyx's. Been traveling a lot as I'm not buying into the Rona. For me the extra acceleration is worth it. Haven't actually looked up the 0-60. I'd say it feels sub 6 seconds?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
dedicated thread that could use some updates.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wrecked my camaro a few years ago and made do with a Honda Fit. So when I got the XT I thought it was quick but that feeling is already fading. Hopefully one of these years get back into a sports car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I was driving an STI back in the day. So compared to that the onyx is molasses. But my main vehicle prior to this onyx was an Elantra so it feels lightening quick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Local driving I get about 24-25mpg if I'm calm with it - but it is just sooo much fun to drive. On the highway, pretty much as chvvkumar - keeping it int he upper 60's to low 70's got close to 30mpg. Past 75, down closer to 26-27mpg but at that speed what can you really expect, it's not the most aerodynamic car (but it is nice and quiet). So far, have to say it's a great car - hoping to get to do more driving in it soon again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had an opportunity before the current model lunched to do a 7 state ride and drive in both Turbo and non Turbo vehicles. I would choose the turbo over non turbo any day of the week I had a chance to drive the turbo version up to the top of Mt. Washington which is 6288 ft above sea level and even in the thin air the turbo had no issues the units we were driving were late pre production units as well no codes or alarms came up during whole trip in either unit.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited, Ice Silver and 2020 Outback Limited XT Cinnamon Brown
102 Posts
The new 2.5's are quieter and sound less like a huge sewing machine when pushed hard but I have really come to love the effortless and smooth acceleration of our new XT Limited.

We both travel and commute mostly on 2 lane country roads. Being able to effortlessly and safely pass cars when necessary is a much more pleasant experience with our XT than with our 2016 2.5 Limited.

We do have to stop at gas stations more frequently with the XT. But so far we are averaging about 27.5mpg so it's not that bad. The 2016 gets about 31-32 in the warmer weather. For whatever reason the XT also warms up quicker in cold weather which is nice.

I am just hoping the turbo stays reliable and trouble free.

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited XT 13 Outback 3.6R Limited
150 Posts
The new 2.5's are quieter and sound less like a huge sewing machine when pushed hard but I have really come to love the effortless and smooth acceleration of our new XT Limited.

We both travel and commute mostly on 2 lane country roads. Being able to effortlessly and safely pass cars when necessary is a much more pleasant experience with our XT than with our 2016 2.5 Limited.

We do have to stop at gas stations more frequently with the XT. But so far we are averaging about 27.5mpg so it's not that bad. The 2016 gets about 31-32 in the warmer weather. For whatever reason the XT also warms up quicker in cold weather which is nice.

I am just hoping the turbo stays reliable and trouble free.
When you say the XT warms up quicker in cold, are you referring to the engine, or the interior heat? The upper end Outback's have a supplemental electric heater to heat the water for the interior heat faster. It makes a big difference in getting the inside warmer quicker.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
151 Posts
Serious?? This would be a huge battery drainer. I want to know if my car has this and would remove the relay.
I think he's probably talking about an engine block heater, that runs off of 110v for folks in cold climates. I can't imagine there's any kind of internal heater run off of 12v to warm up the coolant. That would take an enormous amount of power to have any real effect.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Took my Touring XT that had 2600 miles on a day road trip from Raleigh to Charleston, WV and back to Raleigh (9.5 hr road trip). Over a 368 miles segment, from Raleigh to Charleston WV and some way on the return trip, I averaged a little over 28/mpg. Not bad with the steep climbs during seem segments in WV. I'm ok with this.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I think he's probably talking about an engine block heater, that runs off of 110v for folks in cold climates. I can't imagine there's any kind of internal heater run off of 12v to warm up the coolant. That would take an enormous amount of power to have any real effect.
I can’t find the review/press release, but a supplemental heater was mentioned.

There are a few mentions of it in some other threads about the heater being very hot (or similar)...but it hasn’t been discussed much.

961 - 980 of 999 Posts