Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted another discussion about my engine making a rattling, metal on metal noise, from that I assumed it was the turbo and it had shaft play which was making the noise. Well I decided to take off the down pipe and feel the turbo for shaft play, it didn’t have any shaft play at all, but when I felt the waste gate flap it moved around like it was loose and made a rattle sound. My question is, is the waste gate flap supposed to move around like that and it’s something else in my engine that’s making that noise or is the waste gate flap supposed to not move around??
2005 Outback xt

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,647 Posts
No the wastegate flap isn't supposed to move around like that, and you can google "wastegate flap rattle" and find a bunch of other people with that issue. Some people put a helper spring to control that, others are able to adjust the actuator arm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the wastegate flap isn't supposed to move around like that, and you can google "wastegate flap rattle" and find a bunch of other people with that issue. Some people put a helper spring to control that, others are able to adjust the actuator arm.
I found out it’s not the arm that’s messed up it’s actually the flap inside the turbo so I’m guessing my options are replace the turbo or fix the flap in the turbo right?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts