Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in several places that the '05 Legacy GT is subject to what their owners call "stuttering," and this problem--apparently not a serious one--is especially noticeable in third gear (I'm unclear whether it covers both AT and MT). I have not encountered anything like this in my Outback XT, but I'm curious as to whether anyone had this or a similar experience with their Outback XT?

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
16 Posts
I've felt it many times in my XT but I assumed that it was normal. Basically, while accelerating in 3rd gear...there are two or three little bumps in power...doesn't bother me as the affect is minor. but I've definitely noticed it. Can you point to some other threads about this? I would be curious as to whether anyone has tried getting this fixed.

Santos

P.S. My XT has a MT.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much of what I've read regarding the "turbo stuttering" I found on the Subaru discussion forum at Edmunds. Supposedly, the correction is a relatively simple chip-thing, but I can't really say for sure, and there is no formal Subaru recognition of the problem yet. At this point the information is kind of scattered.

I have felt it only from time to time when depressing the gas pedal hard just after releasing the clutch in either third or fourth gear.

Anyone else?

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mudge said:
I've read in several places that the '05 Legacy GT is subject to what their owners call "stuttering," and this problem--apparently not a serious one--is especially noticeable in third gear (I'm unclear whether it covers both AT and MT). I have not encountered anything like this in my Outback XT, but I'm curious as to whether anyone had this or a similar experience with their Outback XT?
UPDATE: For some reason, I have not noticed the stutter very often (only on occasion, and not in any discernable pattern). I'm wondering if anyone who does takes notes of certain driving conditions that seem to exacerbate it.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts
I notice it when going full-throttle in third gear and accelerating through about 3,000 RPM.

Nothing major, just a couple little hesitations. I also thought nothing of it, until I read all the complaints on LegacyGT.com. I guess all the tuners get really pissed off if this happens while they are racing a 350Z. They don't want to lose a couple 100th of a second. :2:

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
4 banger subies racing 350Zs? we've come a LOOOONG way from my 82 GL, which would go anywhere...slowly.

·
Registered
05 OB XT Ltd; 98 OB Ltd
129 Posts
turbo stutter

Mudge, I notice pronounced stutter only when I've accelerated quickly up to 4krpm, and then it seems to continue for awhile, even when I revert to slower accelerations. If I avoid those fast takeoffs after starting the car, the stutter hardly happens (or it's so faint that I just can't discern it.)
When it's happening, though, it's quite noticeable, even to passengers ("uh-oh, something wrong with your new wheels?")
Yeah, it's a bit annoying, and I think Subaru is going to have to come up with a fix.
(That said, I'm waiting with interest to hear how sly's new Cobb AP affects this, and overall performance)

If other factors, like ambient temperature, fuel/octane, etc. have an influence on the stutter, I haven't noticed them yet, but the car's still fairly new.

·
Registered
05 OB XT Ltd; 98 OB Ltd
129 Posts
well, if by "the way you drive" you mean the experimental period when I was deliberately varying driving styles, I think the ECU should have adapted/corrected somewhat for that, just as it should if there were multiple drivers... It takes a few cycles, maybe, and that could explain why the intensity of the stutter varies.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: turbo stutter

Whitlow said:
(That said, I'm waiting with interest to hear how sly's new Cobb AP affects this, and overall performance)
Speaking of which, any progress on this, Sly?

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
i think it';s just mechanical guilt feelings the car is having for the way you guys sneer at yer normally aspirated bretheren & sisteren....:p

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Re: Re: turbo stutter

Mudge said:

Speaking of which, any progress on this, Sly?
I'm in Toronto all week. I'm hoping that my AP will be waiting for me at the post office when I get back home. If so, I'll be installing it over the weekend and weather permitting, I should be able to report back on Saturday.

·
Registered
1999 Outback Limited
39 Posts
http://www.itpdiesel.com/ATSCompHousing.shtm

This link might help you guy out to understand what's going on with your turbos.

Please don't think that I'm saying that you don't know anything on this subject. I'm basing this on what I went through on my diesel truck and it was the same thing that you guys are talking about. This turbo housing helped my problem with my truck, not sure if anything is out there like this for the subaru turbos??

I hope this helps??

Michael

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Thanks Michael, but the stuttering is not really a problem. It is just a very minor thing and it is ECU related. It depends on many things like the quality of gas you use, the atmospheric conditions, how you've been driving your car, etc.

Some people don't have it or don't notice it, other's have it more. The AccessPort does seem to have got rid of it, I haven't noticed any stutter at all since I installed it.

Every car I've ever owned has had some sort of hesitation under cerrtain circumstances, so I never tought anything of it.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FastSly said:
Thanks Michael, but the stuttering is not really a problem. It is just a very minor thing and it is ECU related. It depends on many things like the quality of gas you use, the atmospheric conditions, how you've been driving your car, etc.

Some people don't have it or don't notice it, other's have it more. The AccessPort does seem to have got rid of it, I haven't noticed any stutter at all since I installed it.

Every car I've ever owned has had some sort of hesitation under cerrtain circumstances, so I never tought anything of it.
Speaking of which, Sly. What's your longer term assesment of the Stage One? For example, how much has it influenced your gas mileage? You can throw the response on the original thread.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1535

·
Registered
1999 Outback Limited
39 Posts
Shutter

No problem FastSly, but it sounds a lot what I went through with my truck. Not all of the diesel trucks have the shuttering and some did. Some had it all the time and mine only had it when I was going up a mountain hill pulling my camper....under a really good load. Some guys could drive down a flat road and have it happen. I've talked to a lot of different people including the mechanic at some of the dealerships and some heard about and some didn't. The main thing is if it's the same thing as is if the turbo is stalling at different situations, hard acceleration, up hills on the flat roads.....I don't see a difference in what your Subaru is doing and what my truck was doing??

My truck didn't do it from the factory, it started when I started to modify it, open up my intake for more air, and put a 4" exhaust on it and multi-stage chip in it. The truck runs VERY fast when I want it to but then it started to stall or shutter. Doing these modifications amplified what must have been there from the start but you couldn't feel it when the truck was stock. Some guys had it right out of the dealer too.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but on my truck it was a big deal and it can destroy the turbo in the long run, or shorted the life of one.

Just a thought, I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this. I would just hate to hear later down the road that you guys went through a turbo because of it.

And by the way this is a GREAT place for information on our Subaru’s, thanks for everyone's help that has helped me out!

Michael

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Ltd wagon, silver/charcoal.
54 Posts
OH YES. I have noticed this as well, and I have basically chalked it up to the turbo spooling inconsistently. I thought I was the only one, and I was pretty worried about it, to tell the truth. It kind of sets me at ease knowing it's not too much to worry about (I hope...)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts