Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Outback xt 2005
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !
I'm about to buy an outback xt 05. The only thing is that the turbo seal is leaking.. So i looked for a used stock OB turbo, but can't seem to find one nearby. I though about buying a used wrx turbo to put it in, but since i'm fairly new to the OB stuff and the turbo stuff, i would like to know which turbo fits in my OB.

Also, the seal is leaking pretty hard, so i would like to know what to check to be sure that everything is fine between the turbo and the motor.

Thanks in advance!

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
What seal? Gasket? An turbo gasket has nothing to do with the actual health of the turbo. Is oil leaking?

We need more-better information.

The '05 came with a vf40. vf42, vf46 will fit, they are both larger, but the flanges are the same.

Registered
Outback xt 2005
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for this, yeah it should be the gasket, the oil is leaking in to the motor. There is a good amount of blue/white smoke coming out of the exausth.

EDIT:
My mistake, i'm talking about the oil seal inside the turbo, not the gasket. Sorry english isn't my native language, i struggle sometimes..

Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
Whoa, whoa.... it's burning oil and they're saying it's a "turbo seal"?

The only seals on a turbo are at the exhaust side. If the turbo is leaking internally, that's a good sign it's gone toast. There aren't any seals that can be just replaced.

But enough about that, there's a lot of other places that can cause oil burning, and none of them are good and most solutions are expensive. I'd take a good look at your wallet and then set it on fire if you purchase this car.

Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
If you are determined to purchase this car, then take it to a qualified Subaru mechanic, not just Jimbob from down the street. Doesn't have to be a dealership, but just somewhere that works on the turbo versions often, and get a good opinion on the health of the vehicle. If the engine is burning oil, it doesn't matter where it's coming from, it can cause lots of other problems in a cascade effect.

The exhaust valves are known for burning and causing lots of problems, as well as the turbo destroying itself and then putting metal into the engine.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
It could be, or it could Not. The spool needs to be pulled right away to determine what damage the failure has done.

I hope to h*ll you are not drivng or running it. Every turn of the crank could be doing potential damage.

That said. I blew the turbine shaft in 3 pieces on my 2006 just about a year ago. I pulled the DP, saw what happened. drained the oil, saw there was no contamination. Then I turned off the oil feed to it...an kept it out of the boost and drove for a few days while I got a turbo off ebay.

You just need to have a Subaru wrench, familiar with the issue.

Where are you located?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.