Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A family member is out of town and called with water leaking under the 2005 XT. He found a Subie mechanic in the town. They replace one of the hoses, but I don't know which one. The only story I got was all the hoses looked new, except the one that was leaking and it looked as if something jumped up off the road and took a chunk out of it.
I don't know where the turbo water lines run, is it possible they are so close to the bottom of the car something could have clipped it?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The oil cooler is deep under the car. Directly over the oil filter, so front pass corner of engine. There are 2 rubber elbows for the water circuit there. There is also a small steel tube (connected to one of the aforementioned elbows) which crosses the bottom front of the engine and then connects to the water pump via another small elbow. This crosspipe and the elbows on either side are not entirely exposed, but they're the most exposed plumbing I can think of on the XT. The steel part can corrode and make a leak that way too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil cooler is deep under the car. Directly over the oil filter, so front pass corner of engine. There are 2 rubber elbows for the water circuit there. There is also a small steel tube (connected to one of the aforementioned elbows) which crosses the bottom front of the engine and then connects to the water pump via another small elbow. This crosspipe and the elbows on either side are not entirely exposed, but they're the most exposed plumbing I can think of on the XT. The steel part can corrode and make a leak that way too.

I'll know more when I see the car, but that might be a week or two yet.
Seemed like the conversation I had lead me to believe it was a flexible rubber type hose rather than anything steel.
Thanks for confirming there is plenty going on down low on the block or under it. I would think on an Outback the plastic skid plates would protect it somewhat.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Yep that thread shows the elbows I'm describing. It has some of them mis-labeled as oil lines when in fact they are coolant lines.

It's not super exposed, but apart from the lower radiator hose that's what's down there. XT and H6 have these coolers, other models don't.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks AWDBoost I'd forgotten all about that thread. I actually read it awhile back, and promptly forgot about it.
I agree with Rasterman, those lines are pretty protected. To damage one of those lines an object would probably leave marks all over the oil filter for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts