Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've accidently set off the alarm by opening with a key and I am told it can only be turned off by the dealer, I am assuming it can be turned off with a ODB tool, anybody done this? I don't have one, but plenty of the auto parts stores do.
1st time was about 10:30 at night in a campground, second time was about 2 am in my neighborhood.
I'm sure others would appreciate it not going off again.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
This sequence of actions from page 2-29 in the OB 2017 manual will stop the car from sounding an alarm when opened with the key.

Activating and deactivating
the alarm system
To change the setting of your vehicle’s
alarm system for activation or deactivation,
do the following.
1. Disarm the alarm system. Refer to
“Disarming the system” F2-32.
2. Sit in the driver’s seat and shut all
doors (and the rear gate (Outback)).
3. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON”
position.
4. Hold down the REAR (UNLOCK) side
of the driver’s power door locking switch,
open the driver’s door within the following
1 second, and wait 10 seconds without
releasing the switch. The setting will then
be changed as follows:
If the system was previously activated:
The odometer screen displays “ALOF”
and the horn sounds twice, indicating that
the system is now deactivated.
If the system was previously deactivated:
The odometer screen displays “ALON”
and the horn sounds once, indicating that
the system is now activated.
The manual is not super clear but I think that it puts the car in valet mode.

Regardless I did this and can now open the car with the key without the alarm sounding.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
Difficult to say since the manual is clear as mud on this. It says that it deactivates the alarm but my red alarm activated light still blinks.

I have not tested smashing in a window or crashing into the car to see if the alarm still works.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I don't think I ever unlocked mine with the key. Do not know if it even works.

Not unlocking with the key seems like an easy solution to your problem.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
Well well well. 3:40 am and I decide not to bother the neighbors with a beep beep of the fob. Unlock the car with the key - alarm goes off...Nice.

Now this is really quite silly.
Not sure of what model Outback you have, but on my '17 Limited I can select to just have the lights flash when I lock or unlock with the fob. I'm thinking any Gen5 model should be able to do that.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think that the first thing I did was silence the beep beep when using the remote. The lights just flash when I lock and unlock. 2017 Premium.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,633 Posts
I don't think I ever unlocked mine with the key. Do not know if it even works.

Not unlocking with the key seems like an easy solution to your problem.
Not an option if you want to lock your car and take your key with you, knowing you're likely to be in water. That's a good use for the valet key.

Disabling the alarm solves that problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts