Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we're out in the yard, my dog likes to hangout in the car, so we leave the tailgate open. Which drains the battery. We've turned off the interior lights, but is there a way to turn off the dashboard warning lights too? (Outback 2017)

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Here ya go. You don’t have to use a carabiner, you can just manually push the latch mechanism shut with a key or other object. I use small carabiners from Home Depot and leave them in the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here ya go. You don’t have to use a carabiner, you can just manually push the latch mechanism shut with a key or other object. I use small carabiners from Home Depot and leave them in the car.

Thanks - I'll try it!

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,395 Posts
That video is correct in some ways, and will work, but is wrong in some details* and he does some things that you shouldn't do**.
It's much simpler to do than what's shown in the video...

Open the hatch. [Door/Hatch warning is on: see "Before", below]

Using a small screwdriver, key, or something similar [Photo 1] push the catch closed until you hear it click [Photo 2].
Move your screwdriver (etc.) to the newly-exposed "shoulder" on the latch. [Photo 3]
Now continue pushing it closed until you hear the motor whirr, pulling the latch fully closed. [Photo 4]

Done. The car's computer now senses that the latch is closed and can shut down. ["After"]

To reset everything:
Manually pull the hatch most of the way closed.
Click the trunk release switch above the license plate. The hatch will start to open.
Gently push on the opening hatch so it senses an obstruction, beeps three times, and closes.

That's all, folks!

Before: Note the dashboard warning through the open hatch.

Photo 1: Push here...

Photo 2: ... until click.

Photo 3: Now push here...

Photo 4: ... until the motor pulls the latch all the way closed.

After: Hatch is still open, warning light is off!

* The motor doesn't "hold the hatch open". The actual problem is that the open hatch (or an open door) keeps the car's computer awake, and it draws a significant amount of current if it's not allowed to go to sleep.

** Don't remove the pushrod from the hatch. The clip that secures it in place is not intended to be reused, and it may pop off afterward. As he notes, this is not necessary, but be warned if you try this at home, anyway.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
yeah, he was going through his thought process.... showing what didn't work. Could have left that stuff out. Basically 3:00 - 3:45 or so is useful. using a carabiner is nice if for whatever reason the latch won't release all the way (when open there isn't that force of the gate pulling slightly on the closer motor latch)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts