Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Touring 3.6 with the usual extras including the Navigation system. It displays the speed limit for most roads I travel and is wrong most of the time. My F150 with the same option displays the correct speed all the time so I know the GPS signal is good. Since the speed limit sign is also displayed in the center info screen next to the digital speedometer, is there a way to disable/turn off that display? I though there was a setting to show signs and warnings in the Nav settings but haven’t been able to find them. This erroneous display will be addressed at future service visits but not worth going in just for this alone. I’ll wait for oil change time.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
The speed limits don't come from GPS. They are embedded in the nav database, and only as accurate as the database is. It's up to the DB developers to improve their accuracy, but they can only use what they are provided by the local entities that provide the information. So if your community isn't provided accurate GIS information, there's nothing they can do about it.

However, if your Ford is accurate most of the time where the OB is incorrect, then it's the database developer's issue.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
The speed limits don't come from GPS. They are embedded in the nav database, and only as accurate as the database is. It's up to the DB developers to improve their accuracy, but they can only use what they are provided by the local entities that provide the information. So if your community isn't provided accurate GIS information, there's nothing they can do about it.

However, if your Ford is accurate most of the time where the OB is incorrect, then it's the database developer's issue.
Of course the GPS orbiting constellation is not beaming down speed limits, but one would need somewhat accurate GPS to look-up in any database what the speed limit was on that particular stretch of road.

I've been watching the speed limit indicator, and so far it has been accurate. When I pass a sign that shows a changed speed limit, it takes only a second or two for the display to update. I have only encountered one situation where it is wrong... Sometimes the posted speed limit is based on time and day of week; like near the local high school. The Nav system doesn't catch that. "But your honor, my car said the limit was 80Km/h".

It's a 'neat' feature, but I wouldn't trust it absolutely. As with every other automotive technology, it's the driver who is ultimately responsible. Our friend's GPS told them to go through a closed fence gate, and drive along a taxi-way at an international airport. It might have been the quickest route, but....

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yep, even my Garmin, which I use when traveling, isn't always accurate with speed limits. And that gets a database update multiple times during the year.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,520 Posts
"Um, yes officer, I'm aware the physical sign back there said 25 MPH, but your database information the city supplied said 90 MPH, as you can see here on my GPS."

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
I have a 2018 Touring 3.6 with the usual extras including the Navigation system. It displays the speed limit for most roads I travel and is wrong most of the time. My F150 with the same option displays the correct speed all the time so I know the GPS signal is good. Since the speed limit sign is also displayed in the center info screen next to the digital speedometer, is there a way to disable/turn off that display? I though there was a setting to show signs and warnings in the Nav settings but haven’t been able to find them. This erroneous display will be addressed at future service visits but not worth going in just for this alone. I’ll wait for oil change time.
You can turn it off with the fingertip controls on the steering wheel (the +/- at the 7 oclock position) You can scroll through the different displays with them to pick one without the speed limit sign.

David

·
Registered
971 Posts
You can turn it off with the fingertip controls on the steering wheel (the +/- at the 7 oclock position) You can scroll through the different displays with them to pick one without the speed limit sign.

David
I believe he's referring to the sign display in the nav, not the dash multi-function display.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You need to spend more time watching the road instead of tiny numerical displays that you think are inaccurate anyways.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited
136 Posts
I've been quite impressed with the accuracy of the speed limit sign. Here in CO, the speed limit, on the SAME ROAD, changes as fast as the weather does - 45 to 35 - back to 45, up to 55 - within a few miles. It's crazy! Looking at the speed limit sign on the display it changes almost immediately when passing a new sign on the road. I like it. Don't pay too much attention to it as it's normally RED!! but it seems to work fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.