Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a dumb question but we are new owners of a 2021 Outback Limited XT and was wondering if the switches on the turn signal stalk and the wiper stalk should be lighted? At night with headlights on these switches do not illuminate. Is that correct? Seems odd with all the other cool features that Subaru would not illuminate these critical switches.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5 Hi-Yo, Ice Silver! Away!
246 Posts
There was a discussion about this before here.

I sometimes wonder how do I tell if my Parking lights are one alone vs headlights / auto mode. The easiest thing to know if you are in auto mode and not simply parking lights with DRL on is to have the lights set to Auto and the stalk pushed forward to engage High Beam Assist Function. This turns on an indicator light on the combination meter just besides the AS/S.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,207 Posts
Stalks dont light up. I dont think they did in my 2003 or 2013 OB either.

That said - is there any way to drive this car with all the exterior lights off? I am thinking of when one approaches a star gazing parking lot at night. Or at least JUST the parking lights, while still driving forward, or do the daytime running lights always light up now.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5 Hi-Yo, Ice Silver! Away!
246 Posts
[ View attachment 501720
If you see this light on your dashboard, your headlights are on.
Actually we do not have that indicator / light.

In the below pic, the red arrow shows the light that turns on when the light stalk is set to have either parking lights or the headlights are on. The blue arrow points out the lights when high beams and fog lights are on.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses on the stalk lights. Jeeesh that is amazing ... a vehicle that has lighting for the surrounding outside of the vehicle, Homelink to open the garage door and tons of high tech stuff does not have switches that light up so you can see the controls at night. I guess they have to save $$ somewhere.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,623 Posts
I don't now of any vehicles with
Thanks for all the responses on the stalk lights. Jeeesh that is amazing ... a vehicle that has lighting for the surrounding outside of the vehicle, Homelink to open the garage door and tons of high tech stuff does not have switches that light up so you can see the controls at night. I guess they have to save $$ somewhere.
I don't know of any vehicles with stalks that light up at night.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,157 Posts
Stalks dont light up. I dont think they did in my 2003 or 2013 OB either.

That said - is there any way to drive this car with all the exterior lights off? I am thinking of when one approaches a star gazing parking lot at night. Or at least JUST the parking lights, while still driving forward, or do the daytime running lights always light up now.
I turn off my head lights and just drive using the daytime running lights when approaching stargazing sites and campgrounds. Hasn't been a problem so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts