Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'98-2.5L & '05-3.0L Subaru Outback Wagons
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle is 2005 OBW H6. When the cruise (speed) control is set and the turn signal is used (i.e. lane change) the cruise control is disengaged. The set indicator is turned off. Memory (for resume) is still active. I've had the car several weeks. Previous car was a 2001 OBW H6, it did not disengage when the turn signal was used. The previous owner has upgraded many of the lamps to LED and installed a backup camera and audio system.

Cause?

Trig

SOLVED: see later posts

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
The obvious culprit sounds like the LED and backup camera screwing up some wiring. The other problem might be with the clock spring in the steering wheel. If there is a loose connection, the action of turning on the turn signal might be enough to wiggle the switch connector inside the steering wheel disengaging the "Cruise" on/off switch.

·
Registered
18,849 Posts
Vehicle is 2005 OBW H6. When the cruise (speed) control is set and the turn signal is used (i.e. lane change) the cruise control is disengaged. The set indicator is turned off. Memory (for resume) is still active. . . . Trig
What happens when, while on cruise, instead of the turn signals being used, the Hazard switch (emergency 4-way flasher) is turned on?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent suggestions. I will confirm and report back.

Thank You,

Trig

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I reviewed the problem more closely. The emergency flasher does cancel the cruise control setting (as it should).
Also, the left turn signal does not cancel the setting but the right does.
I jiggled the turn signal stalk and tapped on the steering column and that doesn't cancel the setting.
I am suspecting the LED bulb even more now. I will get some incandescent bulbs, install and see how the system reacts to those.

More later.

Trig

·
Registered
18,849 Posts
I reviewed the problem more closely. The emergency flasher does cancel the cruise control setting (as it should).
That's helpful. The problem is not the turn signal switch on the steering column because the Hazard switch is elsewhere.

An aside, but as far as I know, the hazard flasher function does not normally turn off cruise control, although I would agree that if there's a problem necessitating the 4-way flashers, cruise would not be used.

Also, the left turn signal does not cancel the setting but the right does. . . .
Helps isolate probable cause. There could be a short of some sort between the right side turn signal circuit and the brake circuit. The LEDs could be part of this, or there migth have been some rewiring done to accomodate them that's messed things.

I checked the wiring diagrams and couldn't find a location where the two circuits could be linked. To give an idea of what I was thinking, the rear tail lights and stop lights are actually just one bulb with two separate filaments, one for each circuit. A short in the bulb or in the socket could cause the brake light circuit to be powered when the tail lights are turned on. When the brake light circuit is powered, the ECM will turn off cruise because it detects, what it thinks, is the brakes being applied. But in the 2005, the brake light and turn signals do not share any bulbs, although I believe they do share a short wiring harness at the rear lighting assemblies.

Interesting. Look forward to the update . . .

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
This type of event (unconnected systems interacting with each other) have been driving me nuts for years in my day job. Will be interesting to see what the fix is.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bulbs arrive today. I will install incandescent in place of LED for the turn lamps and see what happens.
More later...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SOLVED

Took off both rear tail light assemblies. The person that installed a trailer hitch tapped all the exterior lighting wires (brake, marker, signal, ground) on the driver side and 1 on the passenger side. Right turn signal grounded through a module to the brake lights. That is why a right turn signal would cancel the cruise control setting.
The wire taps were done with interior (not sealed) parts. Not a good practice. Removed the entire harness, I don't need it. Don't even own a trailer.
All works correctly now.
Sigh...

Trig

BTW: All LED "bulbs" in each assembly and backup. All work well, didn't use incandescents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts